PDA

View Full Version : Having Trouble Formatting External HD

Grimy
14-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Hi. I've just got a new external HD (A-Data SH93, 500GB).
I plugged it in (W7 PC) and the PC recognises the drive and model (in the taskbar and Devices & Printers), said hardware is installed and ready to use. As it didn't show in My Computer under Disk Management, or when I right clicked and selected send to - I initialised the drive and gave it a letter (F). When I tried to copy a file to the drive it said the drive is not formatted-format now? I click okay and after a while it pops up "Windows was unable to complete the format". Another message is - Virtual Disk Manager-"Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)". When trying to copy a file to the drive it sometimes says "can't read from the source file or disk". The SH93 HD is formatted FAT32 as standard, W7 only gives the options of NTFS or exFAT32, I left it on NTFS, but it doesn't seem to get that far anyway.
I click properties and it says the device is working properly.......
I've never had this problem with previous external drives (never had to initialise or format them either). I tried it on my XP laptop with the same results.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?? Thanks.

GameJunkie
14-12-2010, 10:11 PM
so you did format it to NTFS?

all externals should be NTFS anyway, its only flash drives that are FAT32 i would think.

could be a dud drive also

sahilcc7
14-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Try another computer. Also some drives are formatted fat32 but windows only allows up to 32gb for fat32.

:pf1mobmini:

Grimy
14-12-2010, 11:21 PM
The standard from A-Data is FAT32. When asked to format it I chose NTFS (it doesn't give me the option of FAT32), but it fails to complete the format. I have tried it on a desktop running W7 and a laptop using XP. Not able to format or copy files to the drive on either system. But both recognize the drive and say it is working properly.....

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Take it out if you can and put it in the case. Then see what happens

Grimy
15-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Its in a rubberised case with a seal that if you open it (break the seal) it voids the warranty.

GR8Metal
15-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Try using another USB Port...

pctek
15-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Its in a rubberised case with a seal that if you open it (break the seal) it voids the warranty.

Bollocks. They aren't allowed to say that.

sahilcc7
15-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Dead hdd most likely. Just take it back.

Grimy
16-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Dead hdd most likely. Just take it back.

I'm pretty sure it's a dud too. I emailed A-Data and they also suspect it is. Contacting the retailer today about replacement. This is the 2nd one I've had problems with - the 1st would copy some files and then freeze the host PC (tried that one one 3 different PCs). I tested it with Seagate Seatools and it failed some of the tests. I have several external Seagate drives and have never had a problem, so not a great introduction to A-Data......