PDA

View Full Version : MSWorks database - dates

Thomas01
14-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I have used MSWorks (1998) for years with no problems but this last week a daft little snag has popped up.
My daily log database has three fields.
Date Subject Content.

Simple really.
But lately when I enter the date (automatically) by "Ctrl :" it also tries to enter it in the Content field.
The content field is formatted for "general" not "date" so just a number appears. No real problem because I just simply type over the number. But why!!
I have removed MSWorks and reinstalled it. Done everything I can with formatting of the fields etc - and it makes no difference.
Irritating! Anybody any ideas?
Tom

GameJunkie
14-12-2010, 09:25 PM
is there a diagnostics thing you can run, like office diagnostics?

Paul.Cov
15-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Have you moved the insertion point into the Date field before you use the keyboard shortcut, or are you simply entering the date into a new record without first selecting the field?

Or in other words, in the Tab Order, which field comes first? I'm guessing the Content Field is being treated as the first field to receive data, and that perhaps the Date field is preconfigured to show the current date anyway once a new record is editted, so your keyboard shortcut may be writing the Date to the Content Field, and then Works writes the default date to the date field.
You could test this out by seeing what happens when you manually key in a date which ISN'T todays date.

Lurking
15-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Thomas01, tried your set-up with MSWorks 4 and if you enter anything different into each row it defaults to what was entered.

Just highlighted each column to it's original state and it corrected itself.

Yes I still use MSWorks for xmas cards, lol

Lurking.

Thomas01
15-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Have you moved the insertion point into the Date field before you use the keyboard shortcut, or are you simply entering the date into a new record without first selecting the field?

Or in other words, in the Tab Order, which field comes first? I'm guessing the Content Field is being treated as the first field to receive data, and that perhaps the Date field is preconfigured to show the current date anyway once a new record is editted, so your keyboard shortcut may be writing the Date to the Content Field, and then Works writes the default date to the date field.
You could test this out by seeing what happens when you manually key in a date which ISN'T todays date.

I always select the field first.
And of course the date field is first.
Funny enough I never use the Tab key - just the arrow keys to move along.
I have also just found out that if I go to the Subject field first then I get the same odd happening. The Content field is also affected again.

It's no problem really - just typing over the entry changes it to what is being typed.
But I have never had it before and just wonder what, if anything I have done. I have been using the program for well over 10 years.
During my investigation I discovered that I had managed to get infected by the JUNKIE virus (again!!).
But I have got rid of it and anyway doubt it would cause this problem.

Tom