PDA

View Full Version : Background activities -Win7

bk T
14-12-2010, 05:05 PM
My newly built (2 week-old) Win 7 computer is running very well other than some annoying HDD activities even when it is idle especially after starting up. The noises it made is not loud but I could still hear it - quite annoying.

There isn't any applications running - from the task manager. How do I find out what exactly is the HDD doing at the back?

mikebartnz
14-12-2010, 05:32 PM
At a guess Indexing. I always turn it off.

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Same here, I kill windows search as well

wainuitech
14-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Why not actually find what the activity is , disabling indexing and search is disabling two of the most useful features in W7. Majority of the time its not ether of those any way.

Basic's:

Open task manager - Processes Tab - bottom left hand corner click on "Show process from all users" -- that will show you everything thats running.

Advanced:

You can also use Process moniter (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) - that will give you massive amounts of info.

More advanced, use windows own software/tools:

As long as you have not diabled search :rolleyes: -- click start - type in resource, select resource monitor - open it go to full screen (optional, easier to read) expand out everything -- it will display every activity, and every process on the PC, it will give graphs on the right, so you can visually see whats using more or less resources.

locate the problem -- dont second guess. ;)

mikebartnz
14-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Why not actually find what the activity is , disabling indexing and search is disabling two of the most useful features in W7.
You are welcome to your opinion but as I put things in logical directories I find Indexing a resource hog I can happily do without.

wainuitech
14-12-2010, 09:27 PM
You are welcome to your opinion but as I put things in logical directories I find Indexing a resource hog I can happily do without. Thats quite true. But it also depends on just how good a persons memory is.

Now lets see -- 1 PC -- Easy, I have 3 various Servers and on average 4-5 PC's all with various types of data - I can locate anything on the LAN with in a matter of seconds -- my memory is not that good to be able to remember the location of some file that may have not been used in months, out of the thousands combined.

If indexing is actually set, and set up correctly to do only certain tasks/folders its no big deal. Most people dont even know you can alter it to suit your needs ------ Mine is customized quite a bit. :)

ANYWAY -- back to this thread -- its been proven by many other forums, turning off the indexing doesn't always stop the HDD activity.

It could also could be defrag working as well, since it automated.

Hence the comment -- "locate the problem -- dont second guess" ;)

Any one can guess and get nowhere.

mikebartnz
15-12-2010, 12:05 AM
ANYWAY -- back to this thread -- its been proven by many other forums, turning off the indexing doesn't always stop the HDD activity.
Not going to deny that or knock my head against a brick wall but more often than not when there is HD activity and there is not a virus scan happening in the back ground Indexing will be the culprit.