PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Apache Tomcat server from outside LAN problem

caviliar
14-12-2010, 10:29 AM
hi, i've just built an app using netbeans/tomcat. it all works fine and i can view it on any comp over lan. however im having trouble getting it to work over the interwebs. i've tried everything i can think of and read countless forums and blog posts and it still wont work.

i'm thinking there is something very small that i am over looking.

hopefully someone can help, here are the details.

running the apache tomcat on my laptop. can connect to it via http://localhost:8080/ or 10.1.1.5:8080

other computers on the lan can connect to it via 10.1.1.5:8080 also.

10.1.1.5 being my laptops static ip to the router.

the router is a DLink DSL-G604T

i can type my external ip address into a browser and it comes up with my routers configuration page.

i'm pretty sure that i've forwarded the right ports to my ip of 10.1.1.5.

so i am stuck. any helps appreciated

SolMiester
14-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Sounds like you have forwarded the port correctly!

caviliar
14-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds like you have forwarded the port correctly!

yeah i thought so too, but apparently not. so going [externalIP]:8080 just gives me the "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to [ip]:8080"

robsonde
14-12-2010, 01:43 PM
can you post a screen shot of the port foward page of the router?

caviliar
14-12-2010, 02:15 PM
can you post a screen shot of the port foward page of the router?

sorry bout the real bad quality of them. but anyway u can see that i added the rule to ip 10.1.1.5. and the other one you can see that the rule is for the port 8080.

fred_fish
14-12-2010, 06:54 PM
yeah i thought so too, but apparently not. so going [externalIP]:8080 just gives me the "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to [ip]:8080"
You are doing this from outside your LAN?
If not, it ain't gonna work (unless your router is abnormally gifted, which the 604 is not).
Use an external port probe like Shields Up at grc.com or such like to test 8080 from outside.
Or just post your address :)

caviliar
14-12-2010, 08:43 PM
You are doing this from outside your LAN?
If not, it ain't gonna work (unless your router is abnormally gifted, which the 604 is not).
Use an external port probe like Shields Up at grc.com or such like to test 8080 from outside.
Or just post your address :)

thank you soooooo much Fred Fish!!

thats a day wasted haha. but seriously thanks.

i thought i'd fixed the problem of not being able to check it from my home network by setting up a dyndns.com account to connect to and then bounce it back to my server address - apparently that doesnt work.

so just busted out the cell phone just now and connected to it fine after you said check outside network. dont know why i didnt think of that, i'll blame it on being sick.

cheers dude. case closed :banana :banana

SolMiester
15-12-2010, 07:04 AM
LOL, so you were trying to connect to the internal box from inside the LAN with the external facing IP address...Nice spotting Fred...