PDA

View Full Version : Easy cheap way to remove dust from PC

Strommer
14-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Hand pumps that are used to blow up balloons can be used to blow dust out of a computer. [See photo here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/dust_cleaner.JPG).] Instead of spending $20 on a can of air, or dragging the vacuum out (if it has a blow function), go to your local $2 shop (or The Warehouse, etc) and get a balloon pump.

The nozzle directs a strong stream of air - best to do it outside unless you don't mind a cloud of dust indoors!

As PF1ers have pointed out previously, using a brush or brush attachment on a vacuum could add static electricity - which is not nice to pc components.

Gobe1
14-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Good idea Thanks Strommer

Chilling_Silence
14-12-2010, 08:56 AM
What a brilliant idea! I've never thought of that before! Will have to go try it out :)

Pato
14-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Many thanks Stommer for a great idea, and so simple. Cheers.

Billy T
14-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I've always left the computer plugged in to keep it grounded then dusted it with a soft 25mm paintbrush while using a vacuum cleaner to suck up the dust. The vacuum nozzle doesn't need to get very close to the area being dusted, it creates enough airflow to extract all airborne particles. Touching the grounded computer chassis while cleaning (unavoidable) tends to keep me and the cleaner at chassis potential.

I've got a good professional static meter, two in fact, so maybe I'll try some measurements next time I clean.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Strommer
14-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Many thanks Stommer for a great idea, and so simple. Cheers.

Glad you guys like this idea... it only took me several years to think of it :lol:

Really - it just pi**ed me off that a can of air costs $20 and I kept wondering what an alternative could be. Our vacuum cleaner does not have a blow function and I tried a bicycle pump, a sports ball pump and an air bed pump, but they did not produce enough volume of air or were too cumbersome to use. The balloon pump works perfectly. Look for one with the largest diameter (and therefore the largest volume of pumped air). The one I have even came with a second smaller diameter nozzle but the standard nozzle worked the best.

nedkelly
14-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Or if you know someone with heaps of scuba diving parts (Grandfather) who can make a unit that drops the pressure of a dive tank down to a safe amount, and gets free dive tank re-fills

SolMiester
14-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I actually have an Air Compressor at home, so just use that!

nedkelly
14-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Haha how is that cheap?

SolMiester
14-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Haha how is that cheap?

The old man gave it to me!

pctek
14-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I've always left the computer plugged in to keep it grounded then dusted it with a soft 25mm paintbrush while using a vacuum cleaner to suck up the dust.

same.

stuartwu
14-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I use a set of mini attachments for all vacuums.
Like this http://www.govacuum.com/8369-Mini-Attachment-Set-for-all-Vacuums-with-Round-Hoses.aspx

I bought at Eden rd the big vacuum cleaner shop.

Billy T
14-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Our vacuum cleaner does not have a blow function

Why blow for heavens sake? Sucking the dust out is much better, blowing just spreads it around. There is no difference in static generation either way.

A soft 25mm paintbrush and a good vacuum cleaner are a combination that is hard to beat.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Reminds me of a great cartoon I saw once. The punchline was "Suck for chrissake, Suck." In deference to the Mods, use your own imagination to fill out the details. I guess they must have had their vacuum round the wrong way too.

Strommer
14-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Billy, do you let the bristles of the brush touch the components?
I would think by brushing along the mobo, etc. it could produce static electricity, even if the brush is grounded first. It is a risk I would not want to take. Sucking up dust from the sides and bottom of the case is another matter.

pctek
14-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Billy, do you let the bristles of the brush touch the components?

1)Use a natural bristle brush.
2)The PC is earthed.

SP8's
14-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Why blow for heavens sake? Sucking the dust out is much better, blowing just spreads it around.

Billy's right ... get a straw and suck ya lazy suckers ... :D

14-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I would think by brushing along the mobo, etc. it could produce static electricity, ...

If you are that anal about slight static risks, then dont even open the case untill you have a full antistatic workstation, including mats, humidifier, etc etc etc
Also strip nakid , because the clothes you wear are a static risk (unless its 100% cotton etc)
Remove all components and clean individually, the movement of the dust through the air could cause a static buildup
Just joking... :)

Realistically, the static risk is minimal. The real risk is individual components (some IC's fets etc) NOT yet installed in a PCB.

:)

GR8Metal
15-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks Strommer, will pick one of those up today!