PDA

View Full Version : Will changing ISP's increase down/up speeds?

Strommer
13-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Broadband speed depends on several factors such as distance from the exchange and copper wiring in the home, but what about the choice of ISP? I am with :groan: Slingshot and over the last several months it has become slower. It would be nice to get something better than 1.2 mbs.

Has anyone changed ISP's and got a better download speed while staying in the same location?

inphinity
13-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Your ISP can definitely have an impact on your speeds. Oversubscription is the biggest cause - if they do not have enough backhaul bandwidth to support the number of customers, performance will suffer.

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Changing from Xnet to Telstra changed my download speeds. Since Xnet was only DSL1, I couldnt go past 8mb, on Telstra I can go to 11 / even went to 17 on speedtest

Only thing with ADSL2+ (so a mate said last night), having a cordless phone (even if you dont use wireless, like myself), it can make you disconnect from ADSL (which has happened 2-3 times a day, since I switched to Telstra - It never happened on Xnet).

So, I may have to replace the cordless phone with a 5.8 one

Strommer
13-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Your ISP can definitely have an impact on your speeds. Oversubscription is the biggest cause - if they do not have enough backhaul bandwidth to support the number of customers, performance will suffer.

:cool:

OK, what is the current PF1 advice for "best ISP"?

I rarely use ISP help desks so 'best' for me would be 'fastest'.

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2010, 01:23 PM
There isnt one, if you want the best you need to go to Korea or Sweden

Strommer
13-12-2010, 01:28 PM
There isnt one, if you want the best you need to go to Korea or Sweden

You mean for mega speeds of 100 mbs.

I would be happy with 3 mbs and surely there must be a better choice than Slingshot.

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Telstra is OK (so far). But I'll probably have to change this cordless phone, so I can stay online ! Cant say anything about SS tho. Since I've never been with them. And wont be joining them to find out :p Forget Xnet

SolMiester
13-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Changing from Xnet to Telstra changed my download speeds. Since Xnet was only DSL1, I couldnt go past 8mb, on Telstra I can go to 11 / even went to 17 on speedtest

Only thing with ADSL2+ (so a mate said last night), having a cordless phone (even if you dont use wireless, like myself), it can make you disconnect from ADSL (which has happened 2-3 times a day, since I switched to Telstra - It never happened on Xnet).

So, I may have to replace the cordless phone with a 5.8 one

You might want to try explaining that one? AFAIK, there is no way a wireless phone can interfere with an ADSL2+ connection...period!

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Wasnt me who said it was a mate like I said. And a few sites say it too. Since both (the phone and ADSL2+), are 2.4 GHZ(dont ask me why / how since I dont use the wireless on the modem/router). So, I have no idea how the 2 can interfere. But its either the phone or Telstra's ADSL. Since its only been d/cing (ADSL drops completely) since I've been with Telstra. It never happened at all with Xnet. It could be the filter (its one Telstra gave me). But the old filter was fine with Xnet as well

Agent_24
13-12-2010, 02:36 PM
A faulty phone could cause a problem on the line itself, but the RF signal made by the phone will not impact on the ADSL connection.

A 2.4Ghz phone MAY cause problems with a 2.4Ghz WiFi connection but that has nothing to do with ADSL.

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Whatever it is, just seems funny / strange its only happened since moving to Telstra. So, cant be the phone, there's no crackle, when talking on it. I dont d/c when I / we talk on it.

SolMiester
13-12-2010, 03:10 PM
A faulty phone could cause a problem on the line itself, but the RF signal made by the phone will not impact on the ADSL connection.

A 2.4Ghz phone MAY cause problems with a 2.4Ghz WiFi connection but that has nothing to do with ADSL.

^this....its either the router or the filter!

However Speedy, the issue is you used an unsubstantiated rumour as a point of fact in your post....For various reasons, you cant keep doing that mate!...Just stick to what you know..