PDA

View Full Version : network pc and laptop wirelessly

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Am i able to network my laptop and my pc together wirelessly?

I want to be able to use some of the files on my pc on my laptop without having to use my usb stick all the time.

both my pc and laptop connect to the internet wirelessly. the wireless is in the lounge, dads pc is connected through ethernet, all the rest of the houses pcs are wireless internet.

am i able to network my pc and laptop without having to network my dads pc aswell?

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Well just dont open your dad's folders. You cant do much if all of them are connected to the same thing, so they can get on the net. This pc, does it have wireless on it?

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 07:53 PM
My pc, that im on now, Is connected to the net wirelessly, so is my laptop. i want to network the two so i can share files between them.

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Create a folder then share them thats it. What version of windows is on both? Just make sure both are secure

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 08:01 PM
My pc is running XP pro service pack 3, and the laptop is running XP home service pack 2.

So is it really that simple? create a folder?

I'm not dumb, but computer networking is one of my weaker aspects in computing.

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Yup thats it just. But if either have a firewall besides windows, you'll have to configure it. And I would install SP3 on the other PC. Wireless may work properly then. And on XP Pro make sure simple file sharing is enabled

lakewoodlady
12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Depending on what security you have on the wireless modem/router, the laptop may not be able to connect to wpa security unless it has SP3 installed. I know this from having a similar experience. WEP will work but can be hacked more easily. (a couple of minutes)

LL

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 08:11 PM
both the pc and laptop are connected using wpa2-psk( i think thats what its called).

I just googled Simple File Sharing, and it says, just copy things into the shared documents folder, is this true?, and wont that waste hard drive space?

There is a particular folder i want to share, how do i share it? i don't want to copy it into the shared documents folder as that will waste disk space.

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Just share the folder you want to share

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 08:22 PM
I've set the folder to shared and the folder now has a Hand under it.

the folder is nowhere to be seen on the laptop :(

edit: picture added from pc.

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Click on allow network users to change my files as well. Open my network places on both. Or go to start/run on both type sendto. Go to the folder you shared on both (from both). Then you can copy files from one to the other by selecting a file in my computer / right mouse / sendto

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I got it working.

But won't it waste disk space on my pc if i have to copy and paste the files into the shared folder?

Or do i do that, then copy the files to the laptop hard drive, then empty the shared folder?

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Just go into the other folder and run it. Or send files from one to the other (install files). If its an install file copy it install it, then delete it on the pc you copied it to

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Is there anyway i can share my whole second hard drive? not the operating system one, my secondary hard drive, can i share the whole thing? it would make life a hell of a lot easier if i could access it from my laptop (with the other computer still being on, of course.)

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I suppose you can share it, whats on the secondary hdd?

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Mostly AVI files and MPEG's etc..

stuff basicly from old VHS's that i've transfered.

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Shouldnt be a prob

Agent_24
12-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Just open "my computer" right-click on the drive and choose share.

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 09:25 PM
so do i stop sharing the file i just got shared?

Agent_24
12-12-2010, 09:26 PM
You can if you want to, you don't have to. Up to you.

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 09:27 PM
You can share more than 1 folder

goodiesguy
12-12-2010, 09:38 PM
It worked!

Yay!

Thank you soooo much!!!!

Speedy Gonzales
12-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Sweet :banana

lakewoodlady
13-12-2010, 03:14 PM
It worked!

Yay!

Thank you soooo much!!!!

Well, I am glad it worked for you. My PC (VISTA) is extremely selfish and won't share anything with my Macbook. I have told it to play nice, but no go. Can't even be bothered trying anymore!

LL

SolMiester
13-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, I am glad it worked for you. My PC (VISTA) is extremely selfish and won't share anything with my Macbook. I have told it to play nice, but no go. Can't even be bothered trying anymore!

LL

I think mac and windows networking requires an additional protocol running on the ethernet port to enable to 2 different platforms to talk to one another...

inphinity
13-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty sure OSX has native SMB compatibility, you should be able to connect to a windows share from OS X with a url like
smb://computername/sharename

ronyville
13-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure OSX has native SMB compatibility, you should be able to connect to a windows share from OS X with a url like
smb://computername/sharename

x2.. sharing windows files over to Mac is pretty simple.
click on GO > Connect to Server > type in "smb://computername/sharename"

when the login box pops up, choose "registered user" and enter the name of the user and password that you use to log into the windows machine. also make sure this user has access to the shared folder.

SolMiester
13-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Wish I had a copy of OSX to play with in a virtual environment....I dont have a clue about this o/s except for its silly one click mouse!

ronyville
13-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Wish I had a copy of OSX to play with in a virtual environment....I dont have a clue about this o/s except for its silly one click mouse!

just so you know, you can use a normal mouse to get the right-click or if you use the mac mouse than hold down "control" to get the right click. I have a osx disc. let me try and isntall it on my virtual machine. i doubt it will install but i'll give it a shot. i kinda like mac osx.. especially their time-machine feature.

lakewoodlady
13-12-2010, 05:20 PM
x2.. sharing windows files over to Mac is pretty simple.
click on GO > Connect to Server > type in "smb://computername/sharename"

when the login box pops up, choose "registered user" and enter the name of the user and password that you use to log into the windows machine. also make sure this user has access to the shared folder.

When I had my Win XP machine it was not a problem. All I had to do was tell it to share the folder and it appeared on the Mac straight away. But VISTA will not do it at all. I have tried all sorts of things and googled it no end. I was able to get some info on it and the instructions were three pages! That's when I gave up.

I will try your suggestion sometime though and let you know how I get on.

LL

Agent_24
13-12-2010, 05:32 PM

If you've got the right hardware, you could download a ... modified version and run that directly without a virtual machine.

Of course if you do that you should already have an official purchased copy.

In any case, it's interesting for a day or two until you realize that as it's made by Apple, you can't actually do anything.