PDA

View Full Version : Windows OEM question

Myth
12-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Since being made redundant, I seem to be picking up a few computer jobs. One of which is a new system (not confirmed, but highly likely to get the job).
I want to be able to buy one disc for installs.. but when selling the computer with Win 7 OS, sell with an individual license key. This is OEM no? If not, then what?
How do I go about this.. any legal implications etc I need to know about this?

wainuitech
12-12-2010, 09:22 AM
This is a bit long, but read on:

This is for Windows 7 operating systems-

When you buy OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) software, you will get the CD/DVD along with the COA. Legally you have to provide the DVD, and License with the PC you sold.

You cant go buying one Windows 7 DVD, then buy individual licenses, that is unless you are some big place like Dell, HP, and other major players that buy by the thousands, then its a different type of licensing.

There are several different types of licensing, but really unless you are building many PC's its not worth trying to get them, and by many I mean 100 or more / month.

Some places Like Ingram Micro for example sell "boxes" of OEM DVD/s licenses, 5, 50, 100 etc.

In simple terms:
What places like the above will do, (dell HP) is they make up a couple of PC's as "master builds" these PC's then have Images made, after sysprep has been run through them, the rest of the PC's are constructed, all exactly the same parts (maybe a run of a thousand or so) and the images dumped onto the Drives - the COA is attached top the case and shipped out to the stores.

What you will find, is the COA thats in these PC's is NOT the same as the one on the case, they use a special COA thats issued to them, so that run of a thousand PC's will all have the same COA.

For small number of builds, you have to purchase a separate DVD for each build.

To take a more "legal" answer Microsoft System Build OEM site (http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/default.aspx)-- and the Actual OEM license (http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/Public/sblicense/2008_SB_Licenses/FY08_SB_License_English.pdf) < PDF.

You can get various other software free, Eg: the Office 2010 OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK), this has the starter edition and every other edition of Office 2010, BUT you still have to purchase License keys for each install.
These are the "trials" that you see on name brand PC's.
BUT the general public cant simply download them - sometimes you will see a padlock on the download Eg: Office OPK (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OPK1292098328.jpg) -- when clicking it, it will ask for your login. You have to be pre-approved by MS, and have had to apply to get the log in rights.

Once you have approval and work through any questions, agree to any licensing You get the download (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Office1292098611.jpg).

To actually purchase the OEM software, you can either get it Via some shops, but you'll make bugger all on it, or you have to have accounts with the suppliers (and still make slightly less bugger all on it) :D You will find that the prices some shops sell OEM software, you may only make $10 or less.

Myth
12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
So basically its a lot easier for smaller places to buy a new disc on a build by build basis, and give the disc with key to the customer

wainuitech
12-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Yep -- if you read the OEM licensing, "legally" you have to any way. The person is paying for the DVD & License key, not just the License.

The Office OPK's (DVD) as I mentioned are NOT given to the end user, they are preinstalled, as either trials, or the starter edition, (Normally Free to the user) which "legally" you have to purchase a license for as well, in batches of 10 minimum.
An Office Starter 2010 license must be purchased for each PC you ship with Office Starter 2010 installed. You must maintain records that enable you to uniquely identify each PC shipped with Office Starter 2010 installed (for example, a PC’s unique serial number or the Windows Product Key).
They are bugger all though From memory about $2 each (two Dollars - not a typo) hence given away to end user.