PDA

View Full Version : Another computer scam call (#5!)

Billy T
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
This time the caller claimed to be in an office at 184 Queen St, Auckland, and I had a virus etc blah blah blah, so I held on to the call for over 20 minutes.

He told me he had my computer ID number so I asked for it and in the end (10 minutes of patient argument) finally he gave me a line of data 888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062 which he claimed was my computer ID number.

I convinced him my computer was not on (that killed the 'I can see the virus etc argument before he used it) so he wanted me to turn it on (he was willing to wait) and he then wanted me to open a command prompt, enter 'assoc', load the line above in the next screen (I think, he kept saying 'hello' like taking a breath and he must have said it a hundred or more times in the course of the call) and there was an action he wanted me to take in response to something that would then appear at the bottom of the screen.

At that point I told him I knew what the command prompt was and that I would not enter anything etc. I'm not sure how many more steps there were to follow (or how many more hello's) but that is where it leads.

If anybody has the patience to take it further, good luck, I haven't.

I'd be interested in any theories about what he was up to in terms of the command prompt.

Over to you.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Probably something similar to this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323526)

wainuitech
11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd be interested in any theories about what he was up to in terms of the command prompt.:D If you run that command, you will get the same "Computer ID" from all PC's.

Gee Billy -- Looks like we have the Same Computer ID (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Computer_ID.jpg) -- how amazing :eek:

Spose its one way of fooling someone into thinking they are actually right.

The Error Guy
11-12-2010, 06:15 PM
assoc is file name associations, basically it will make a big impressive list.

You may have mis-heard his name, ass-ho1e

Basically zfsendtotarget is part of the right click context menu "send to" in this case it relates to zip files, the CLSID is the Class ID, which should be the same on all windows PC's, tell him you run karmic koala (ubuntu 8)

bazmeister
11-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah, this sort of nonsense is funny up to a point.

As a retired wrinkly, with a limited amount of knowledge, I assist three neighbours..all at least 80 years of age. They maintain their systems mainly for Email etc. I can see all of them being sucked into this scamming despite my earnest attempts to warn them. I have told them to refuse to talk to anyone on the phone, or refer them to me, but I still worry. I read these posts and pass on the wisdom, thanks guys...

The Error Guy
11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I assist three neighbours..all at least 80 years of age.

No matter what your age or the age of those assisted, people like you keep the world (or NZ) largely better than waht it could be. will all respect I salute Baz.

hopefully when i'm a gum sucking old lout there will be someone to support me. probably not though. we'll all dies from global warming/cooling... temperature change.

Before then I hope to acquire several skulls of scam artists for my wall

Billy T
11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
:D If you run that command, you will get the same "Computer ID" from all PC's. Gee Billy -- Looks like we have the Same Computer ID (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Computer_ID.jpg) -- how amazing :eek:

There y' go! So that is how phase one of the 'how to convince skeptics' process works eh!

That would suck in a good percentage of the uninformed and probably persuade them to take the next step. Given that this is my 5th call, I can expect another inside of the next 6 weeks, so I'll try to sound suitably impressed when they 'prove' they have my computer's serial number and that should get me to the next step of the scam.

They seem to be doing saturation calling, how else would I get five calls already? So, it won't take so long next time to get to this stage. Watch this space.

If you want to try it yourself, you have to be patient and polite but not act too dumb and they will roll through their script for you as nice as you like. It can all be done without even having the computer on!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

GameJunkie
11-12-2010, 11:00 PM
i kinda want one of these phonecalls now......

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Yeah same, I feel left out :p

gary67
12-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Sister in law just moved back from Cairns and she told me that they had 3 of these type of calls over there in a week. She isn't computer savy and told them to ring me but always gave them a slightly altered number

jinja_thom
12-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I had one of those calls the other day and when I asked for a callback phone number I was given 643-669-2526, shortly after that the line went dead.
Anyone game to give it a try, I'm certainly not.

Billy T
12-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah same, I feel left out :p

Easily arranged, just give me your phone number and best calling hours. I'll tell them you just bought my computer, do my best " 'kinell" or "oh my god" panic rendition and ask them to ring you. :D

Happy to share my good fortune around!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs: