PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux, for laptop

ianhnz
11-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey all and hoping you can help?

I have an aged, like me, Laptop; and ASUS Z8100, 2.8 GHz's 512 MB's shared ram (448 available) and looking for a suitable Linux to install.

I've tried a puppy one, running off disk and it wouldn't set up wireless, which I need. :pf1mobile:

Any advise appreciated,

Ian :thanks

ronyville
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Ubuntu :thumbs:

ianhnz
11-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Just Ubuntu? Like ver 10.10? How does one set up wireless, with it?

The Error Guy
11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Yep, the latest ubuntu distro (10.10) is very sleek and supportive. It will or should rather, run nicely.

ronyville
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Just Ubuntu? Like ver 10.10? How does one set up wireless, with it?

10.10 is the latest so should have support for most hardware.

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Either search for the info after you install it, on how to set up wireless. Or install something else

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Ummm ... He's asking for the info here ? This isn't really one of those times that LMGTFY is really suitable I'd say.

ianhnz, Ubuntu comes *with* drivers for most things, so for the better part of it if it's gonna work, it's gonna work right outta the box. There are certain exceptions to that rule, but not many, so really it's a matter of "try it and see". As mentioned, because Ubuntu 10.10 is the most recent version of Ubuntu, it's likely to support most of the newer hardware (Though that machine isn't particularly new, but still).

Give it a whirl and let us know how you go :)

Cheers

Chill.

Rod J
12-12-2010, 12:25 AM
I just installed UserOS Select 10.04 (Ubuntu 10.04 with Xfce Desktop Environment rather than the normal Gnome DE) in my niece's Sony Laptop which sounds similarly spec'd to your laptop. It runs sweetly and she reckons it runs rings around WinXP that was on it before. The Xfce DE has less memory/cpu requirements than Gnome. UserOS Select 10.04 is available on the October Australian PC User mag DVD.

Or you could try Xubuntu (Ubuntu 10.10 with Xfce DE): Xubuntu on DistroWatch.com (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=xubuntu)

Agent_24
12-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Ubuntu is good, for lower RAM try Lubuntu. (LXDE instead of Gnome)

Xubuntu while designed for lower spec systems than Ubuntu was recently tested and found to use more RAM than Ubuntu. (apparently)

If you want something insanely light try DSL (Damn Small Linux)

kjaada
12-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey all and hoping you can help?

I have an aged, like me, Laptop; and ASUS Z8100, 2.8 GHz's 512 MB's shared ram (448 available) and looking for a suitable Linux to install.

I've tried a puppy one, running off disk and it wouldn't set up wireless, which I need. :pf1mobile:

Any advise appreciated,

Ian :thanks

I have Puppy with wireless on 2 older laptops set up no trouble.
They boot in to Puppy on about 25 seconds and I am connected in about another 10 seconds.
Dureing set up it found 5 other wireless neighbours.This was a bit confusing
the first time.

Hopper
12-12-2010, 08:43 AM
As always, you can create a bootable USB stick and try them all, or some at least!

I have been running Ubuntu 9.04 on a similar HP laptop very successfuly, but its backlight just died so I now have a netbook that I'm trying 10.04 NBR off usb. It is using about 250MB RAM.

Have fun!

Myth
12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Stock standard Ubuntu (with Gnome) will run fine with those specs.

kjaada
12-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Go here for instructions on setting up puppy:http://easylinuxcds.com/blog/?p=4030
It is easy peasy but there may be a few "blips" if you have not used linux before.
Any linux distro has its quirks.
I had trouble trying Ubuntu on my lappy's getting screen resolution right and
it got so frustrating I gave it away.
Puppy will do anything most people want without complaining.
Do note tho my comment on all the wireless users found around me:
3 out of the five were "open" and I could have (and still could as I have just
checked) connected to their modem.
When setting up you have to sort out from the connections found,which is
yours and then set it up.

Agent_24
12-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I prefer Ubuntu as it has more expansive software repositories.