PDA

View Full Version : HP PMD (Pocket Media Drive) isn't detected

aidanmaz
11-12-2010, 09:28 AM
My HP 160GB PMD drive was working perfectly during class yesterday, and i brought it home and suddenly it will not be detected on any machine, It appears as if its not even plugged into the computer (i can hear the drive startup and feel it vibrate) but windows (or linux or anything) does not notice it. Ive changed usb cables, and everything used different computers. There about 120Gb of data i really want to retrieve if possible, can i take the drive out and use a usb to stata (or ide watever it is) to retireve my data or is it really gone?

CYaBro
11-12-2010, 09:55 AM
If it sounds like the drive is spinning up as normal but it is not being detected then I would say your data is probably OK. Most likely the USB controller has failed.
Usually if a USB HDD fails the computer will still detect the USB controller.
You could remove the drive and connect it directly to the computer, if it is SATA, otherwise you will need an adapter if it is IDE.

The Error Guy
11-12-2010, 10:10 AM
the PMD's are all SATA, the good thing is they are also very easy to dismantle.

There are 2 screws at the back from memory and thats it, take those out and the drive assembly slides forward and out of the enclosure.

once the HDD is out of the PMD enclosure, gently pull the HDD away from the PCB untill it separates, from there you can plug it into a desktop and check if it still works of if you only have a laptop, remove the laptop HDD, put the PMD's HDD in and boot of a linux live CD, it SHOULD all show up.

With the dismantling instructions, they are from memory so take a bit of care with these things, go slow and don't force anything.

if the drive is ok then buy a 2.5'' SATA enclosure off trademe or from PB tech dick smith, where ever, most will come with a USB 2.0 controller, putting it in again is pretty much the reverse of taking it out of the PMD but instead it will be in a new case. refer to the instructions on installation for this part

aidanmaz
11-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I dont see any screws whatsoever, i tried to use a flathead screwdriver to gently (and i mean very gently) lever the drive out, as it looks like it seperates, but it appears to be stuck, im not too fussed where i break the enclosure (extreme yes) but i just want the drive. its a pd1600s model.

feersumendjinn
11-12-2010, 10:51 AM
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/11563.aspx?PageIndex=2
Maybe that'll help :D

aidanmaz
11-12-2010, 11:48 AM
cheers guys, managed to get the drive out, literally destroyed the case in the process, but oh well, i put the drive in a desktop pc and am copying the data as I type. Thnaks for the help :-P