PDA

View Full Version : how do i install linux on a netbook that can only boot of the hard drive?

personthingy
10-12-2010, 03:48 PM
The title sums it up.
the netbook is a mini 110-3038TU.It has no optical drive, and the bios offers the choice of booting of the hardrive OR booting of the harddrive........

The only solution i can think of is to install linux on this, or another harddrive first placing the harddrive in another computer, and then transplant the drive into the netbook. Till then, i'm using windows. :(

This question marks my return. With netbook and a 3g/wifi thing, i am back on the net with a power consumption that my solar panel can supply.

pcuser42
10-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Plug in a USB optical drive and try booting from that (connect it before you power on). My ASUS Eee allows booting from "ATAPI CD-ROM" which is really just an external CD burner.

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2010, 03:51 PM
If its got USB ports, plug a flash drive in and see if it gives you an option to boot from it in the BIOS

gary67
10-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes sometimes boot from USB doesn't show in the BIOS until a USB drive is plugged in give it a try and report back

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Correct, this wont show a USB flash drive, as a boot disk, until you plug one in. Since, once you plug one in, it shows the name of the flash drive, not just a generic name / option (like USB flash drive)

personthingy
10-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Of course i will have to get some bootable material on a flash drive.....

i'll be back :)

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Well true but you dont have to put anything on it, to see if its bootable

ubergeek85
10-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Good to see ya personthingy, been a while!

Could give Network Booting a shot, provided the BIOS supports it. You're out of luck if it doesn't have ethernet though, as the BIOS can't support a wireless connection IIRC.

Other than that, and the flash drive method mentioned above, I'd go with the forced transplant. Install the HD in another computer, load it up with a 'portable' distro, something like Damn Small Linux, chuck it back in the netbook, and use that as a base to install your desired distro. DSL is great for LiveCD's, as it has a lot of utils in a very small footprint (40Mb last time I checked).

The Error Guy
11-12-2010, 06:25 AM
IF it doesn't show, even when plugged in, try setting anything that begins with "USB" such as USB Zip or floppy, in most cases, before USB flash drives were common/existent people would use ZIP drives, by setting USB zip the computer should look to the USB for any form bootable medium, not just zip drives.

Also, in the latest easyBCD there is an option to add ISO boot, you could try adding an entry to the bootloader for that so you can boot from the .iso, if that works, make a partition on your HDD at the end big enough for the iso and re make the bood loader entry from the partition, when you format the windows install (I assume you'll format) the iso will still be present to boot install from.

only problem with the HDD swap method aforementioned is that incorrect driver and hardware profiles would be built, ubergeek's D.S.L method to start installing the full distro on the target netbook would be the best idea if it comes down to that.

Jen
11-12-2010, 07:16 AM
This question marks my return. With netbook and a 3g/wifi thing, i am back on the net with a power consumption that my solar panel can supply.OT: Welcome back, its been a while. :)

personthingy
11-12-2010, 08:46 AM
@Jen. Thankyou!

@Everyone
Well blow me down, i plug a flash-drive in, and the BIOS gives me the option to boot of it! :clap Learnt something new. Work to do, and then once i recover from that, i'll be back with a Linux netbook. Yippy and thanks!

pcuser42
11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Well blow me down, i plug a flash-drive in, and the BIOS gives me the option to boot of it! :clap Learnt something new. Work to do, and then once i recover from that, i'll be back with a Linux netbook. Yippy and thanks!

To be fair, it won't let you boot from it if it's not there :p

personthingy
31-12-2010, 05:31 PM
But it did let me install Mepis Linux from a flash drive, once *uhem* i plugged one in. :)

Hello everyone, and thanks for assisting my return!

Brooko
01-01-2011, 06:17 AM
PT - Warren's working on a new version of Mepis - currently alpha 4 but looking very solid. Expect a beta in the next week. Might be worth using instead of 8.5 stable. New version is Debian Squeeze base with more up to date version of X.

Have been waiting for it's beta/rc release so I can upgrade my own netbook.

personthingy
02-01-2011, 06:59 AM
PT - Warren's working on a new version of Mepis - currently alpha 4 but looking very solid. Could be good.... I decided that the hard drive that came with mine is a tad small, so i might upgrade 2 things at once here!!!!!!!!!!!