PDA

View Full Version : wifi repeater mode ?

10-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi there
Has any one has some experience with (newer) wifi hubs in repeater mode??
good, flaky, avoid??

If it is solid & reliable it would be a good option for some homes with wifi across multiple floors or a option for poor wifi signal in parts of the house/office

I have a Dlink I'm trialing, Dlink recommends that WZC NOT be used as the network connector needs to be bound to only one of the wifi hubs mac address's : which is not possible with WZC but possible with some OEM wireless drivers/software.

Cheers
-------------
WZC=Windows Zero Config, ie the std win wifi select/connect tool
:)

BBCmicro
10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I can't help you (I'm not a professional) but I have often wondered about that. It would be nice to simply plonk a wireless repeater upstairs to improve the signal. ie, wireless receive - packet into buffer - wireless transmit. The only 'routing' being not retransmitting packets that have nothing to do with the wanted network.

Obviously there would be a significant throughput hit because each end of the link would get its own packets echoed back. Plus there would be overspill directly between the two ends. I wouldn't be surprised if throughput went down by a factor of 4 (But the signal would be strong!)

If the repeater had cat5 on one port it could distinguish the two directions...
Unfortunately where I live it is very difficult to get a cable between floors

jwil1
10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I have done this, between a Belkin router and a ASUS WL502gU running DD-WRT for about a year. Worked, but really slow. I tested it by copying a file across it - and going by Windows 7s' file copy dialog, was going at about 600kb/s! I also noticed the Internet was faster on the main router too.

I also managed to get it to hand off the wireless connection to whichever router was closer :)

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2010, 07:47 AM
This wouldn't happen to have something to do with your previous post about a mesh-network would it ?

The D-Link gear I've found to be generally flaky, stay away from it.
The Asus gear isn't bad, but quirky, like the USB hub in the WL520GU doesn't actually seem to be able to operate at speeds above USB1.1
The Linksys gear is by far the best, provided you're not going with their N-Routers, though I seem to remember the N-Routers that don't have ADSL (AP's only) aren't too shabby.

Anyway, depending on your setup, it may simply be better to have a single AP and pop a bigger antenna, place it in a good central location, and bump up the power output :)