PDA

View Full Version : XP Mode in Win7 Pro

Geek4414
10-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Can Win7 Pro's XP Mode support more than virtual xp machine concurrently? I need to test some database application on multiple PCs concurrently, would prefer to use VM instead of real PCs.

I have VMware on my desktop PC but it only has 3GB of RAM (32bit XP), whereas my new i7 laptop has 8GB of RAM, so would prefer to use XP Mode on it if possible.

Chilling_Silence
10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Not in "XP Mode", but I believe you can run additional XP VM's within Virtual PC while an "XP Mode" machine is running.

GameJunkie
10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
technically yes
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/21904-virtual-xp-machine-copy.html

inphinity
10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Else, since you already have VMWare, you can just use that ;D

Geek4414
10-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I think .... running multiple copies of XP VMs in VMware requires multiple XP Licences ?

Since this is only for testing purposes, not going to run the VM in production environment, I might use the OEM XP keys from some dead PCs for that.

I am a bit hestitant to install too many things on my laptop yet, as I am still trying to sort out if the Quad RAID SSD supports TRIM.

Actually, running VM inside XP mode might be a good idea. It won't mess up my host system then. I can always un-install XP mode and re-install it to get a clean XP mode VM. I assume I can just copy the folder where the VM files are to make backup copies of a 'clean' VM?

CYaBro
10-12-2010, 07:10 PM
How long do you need to test?
You could just install as many XP VMs as you need using the same OEM key and just don't activate it. You'll have 30 days to use them before they will need to be activated.