PDA

View Full Version : Error

Monicad
10-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Hello,

I am trying to use an excel based sofware program and when I click on a link in this software, I receive the following error: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. I have excel 2007 and have not received this error from links in other software programs. I have tried a free download called clean up and also the Microsoft fix to solve this problem and neither have helped.

Please help,

Monica

SP8's
10-12-2010, 07:37 AM
It sounds like you haven't got authorisation to use the program ... might be advisable to see your IT personnel.

pctek
10-12-2010, 08:09 AM
disable UCA

Monicad
10-12-2010, 08:22 AM
I spoke with the software company and they think it is a restriction on my computer. I googled the problem and many others have received this error and had to run registry clean up software, which I did and that did not fix it.

Monica

Monicad
10-12-2010, 08:24 AM
what does "disable UCA" mean?

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2010, 08:33 AM
UAC, if you use Vista or windows 7

Snorkbox
10-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Can you try right click the shortcut and run as administrator then? It may or may not work but try it.

Monicad
10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I have Windows Vista and also have full control, however when I right click, there is no option to run as administrator. I can click on Properties then the Security tab to see that I have all the rights clicked except for the special permission box.

Monica

inphinity
10-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Is this workstation part of a domain? Are there any GPOs in effect?

Cellux
10-12-2010, 10:19 AM
What registry cleaner did you use?

The only one I know any of the technicians here would recommend is CCleaner by Piriform.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

pctek
10-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I have Windows Vista and also have full control,

If it is a work PC, forget it, go ask the IT helpdesk to sort it.

If it's your home PC, make sure your login is administrator and not user.
And disable UAC as said. Control Panel - User Acoounts.

You can check both here, what sort of account you are using and also the UAC thingy. Turn it off.

Monicad
10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't think my pc is part of a domain, but don't really understand the question. I first used Microsoft's Fix it which states:

After you upgrade to Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, to Internet Explorer 7, or to Internet Explorer 8, the following registry key is either missing or corrupted:
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell \open\command
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you would rather fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

I currently have Version 8 and did upgrade at some point. Microsoft's fix it for me did not work, but then I used a free download called "Clean up" which did not work either. Another user had close to the same problem and did all the same things with no success, then he used SdFix and this did the job. However, the sight that I visited no longer has this fix available.

Monica

Monicad
10-12-2010, 10:52 AM
It is my home PC, I am the administrator and I turned off the UAC and this did not do the trick.

Monica

Cellux
10-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Can you take a screen shot of the error?

Print screen -> Paste into paint -> Save as .png or .jpg

Monicad
10-12-2010, 11:24 AM
I fixed it, thanks so much for your efforts. What happened is I upgraded a program that also installed Google Chrome, I did not want Google Chrome and removed the program. This was a while ago. When you uninstall Google Chrome, it changes your registry and wipes out your hyperlinks. I changed the registry keys as described and now my Excel links are working.

Thanks Again, this took may wasted hours to fix.

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm#reg2

Cheers,

Monica

This is going to be a problem for many people, hopefully they will see this thread.