PDA

View Full Version : Backing up a failing hard drive

camo
09-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi there,

I have a hard drive on it's last legs....I'm getting the S.M.A.R.T. warnings on startup, and the disc is making funny noises.

It will boot into Windows, but locks up doing the simplest of tasks.

In other words, it's about to die....right?

How do I go about backing up all the data from this failing disc onto a new hard drive? I have another drive ready to go.

I need something I can use from Boot, since Windows is a no-go. Is this what "Norton Ghost" is for, or is there another method you can recommend?

Thanks in advance!!

C

gary67
09-12-2010, 06:44 PM
What operating systems as not all can do windows 7 the earlier Ghost cannot. Basically you need to connect the new drive either internally or with an enclosure. Boot from whatever Cloning software you decide to use and clone the old HDD to the new HDD.

Free software that works includes
Macrium reflect and
Drive image XML

not free
Acronis True image
Active@disc image

however if either of the drives is Western digital or Seagate then they both do a free version of Acronis just with less features than the bought version which you download from their website.
I would be doing it this way using their software if I were you.

So to reiterate you need to CLONE your hard drive to the new hard drive by booting from the bootable software you have downloaded and burnt to a CD AND not booting into Windows to do the cloning as that way usually fails

camo
09-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Yes, thanks!

I have Windows XP SP3.

I need to create a boot CD using one of those programs, and clone the drive....

Erayd
09-12-2010, 07:22 PM
dd_rescue is great at cloning drives that are failing and have errors copying.

camo
09-12-2010, 08:47 PM
however if either of the drives is Western digital or Seagate then they both do a free version of Acronis just with less features than the bought version which you download from their website.
I would be doing it this way using their software if I were you.

I've been to the WD site, and grabbed the free version of Acronis.

The dead drive is a WD, and the new drive is a Seagate. This will work?

wainuitech
09-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Should do , as long as one of the drives is a WD.

Other wise go to seagates site and get their Disk Wizard, its basically the same program but seagate put it out, only one drive has to be a seagate.

Agent_24
10-12-2010, 02:41 AM
dd_rescue is great at cloning drives that are failing and have errors copying.

Yes, a very good program, you need something that can handle errors. Most partitioning programs etc expect the drive to be 100% working. If they encounter an error they often stop. dd_rescue is designed to recover data from faulty media, so it's the best choice.

And don't stuff around too long with a hard drive that has SMART errors and is making funny noises.

I had one which I ignored, and when I finally went to copy it - got about 6% in and then it died completely.