PDA

View Full Version : Win7 sharing problem - PBR-500

BBCmicro
09-12-2010, 12:27 PM
My new media player (PBR-500) can't see folders on my Win7pro64 computer. The player is connected via wired LAN to a D-Link router with DHCP. The player's MAC address is listed in the router and an IP address appears on the player's TV screen. The computer's name appears on the TV as /i5-750/ but there are no folders.

According to the manual (which stops at Vista) I should automatically see folders if I do these things in Vista: turn on Guest account, turn off Windows firewall, turn off password protected sharing (which I can't find where to do), and share a folder.

I've done these things and clicked on various troubleshooters etc etc and nothing happens. Under Win7 network discovery the map shows my computer (and a separate icon for WMP) and my Bravia TV but not the new media player. What am I doing wrong?:(

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Is media sharing on in Win7? And have you given it access ?

BBCmicro
09-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Does "media sharing" in general have an on/off switch? (apart from individual folders)

The Bravia TV can see my shared folders (It uses DLNA rather than SMB, if that is relevant)

wainuitech
09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
turn off password protected sharing (which I can't find where to do), Click start - type in Network Select Network and sharing, Change advanced sharing settings ( top Left) Password protected sharing is down near the bottom.

To share a folder, right click it, Properties/ Sharing tab/ Share -- From drop down box, select everyone, Click Add -- in the window at the bottom, change the permissions to read/Write - Click Share.

Next click on Advanced sharing - tick "Share this folder" - go down to permissions, tick full control.

gary67
09-12-2010, 12:55 PM
And you can turn windows firewall backon

BBCmicro
09-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks Wainui - password protected sharing already was off, 'everyone' is allowed access and has 'full control'. I re-accessed but still no joy.

I notice that the media player has FTP client and host access - is it worth trying this even though I'm having trouble with the sharing? (It might be a significant learning curve for a non-professional like me)

BBCmicro
09-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Is media sharing on in Win7?

I found it - in the same screen Wainui pointed me at for turning off password protection. (It was already on)

wainuitech
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Have you checked everything is on the same workgroup , but default W7 is "Workgroup"

BBCmicro
09-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Have you checked everything is on the same workgroup , but default W7 is "Workgroup"

Yes, in fact the computer name /i5-750/ on the TV screen comes up under a heading 'Workgroup'.

In the last few minutes I have managed to get FTP going. I typed
ftp://admin:admin@168.192.0.189 into IE8 and got into the root of the media player's HDD and could see the files that I had captured from my T-box using an RGB cable. I even downloaded one of the files to my PC.

I find it strange that the media player can be visible to IE8 yet invisible to Win7's Network Discovery. (I chose admin:admin at random - I didn't set up that particular name and password)

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Is this it ? (http://www.anyware.com.au/PBR-500.aspx)

If it is, this maybe why (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1264808)

I can connect from the box to my computer via a share file but can't go the other way.

It doesn't support SMB, only client.. So you can only ftp to it. Get something like Filezilla and then you can grab any files you need on the PBR and copy to your PC.

BBCmicro
09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
yes that is the model

Your link is useful Speedy but the suggestions (turn on Public Folder sharing etc) don't seem to work for me.

I will stick with FTP access (and USB). I don't really need another media streamer - they're coming out my ears. I just want an analogue video capture device. The PBR-500 does that quite well because it has component-in (as well as composite-in). It was $180 incl GST

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2010, 07:16 PM
As it says tho it only works with ftp. So, you may have to use ftp. There is another thread here, (about another media player), you had to do something similar to this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968389) for it to work properly

Altho, this may or may work, in your case