PDA

View Full Version : Ghost 15 anyone ??

09-12-2010, 12:18 PM
http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/reviews/norton-ghost-15#396D18EC339E4778CC2577F3007F1157

Hi there. I see ghost 15 is out. Just wondering if they have 'fixed' it
Seems to now offer Win7 support.
Unfortunately the Symantec website is out of date (Ghost14 only) so I cant
download a trial to test it or check its feature set.. A pitty as we would buy it if it worked :easier to convince the boss to buy a 'famous' product, rather than some he has never heard of (eg active@)

I still am hoping it may be a return to the ghost of old, a great product that I still use, often. Old ghost has issues with USB HD's, partition managers for recovery partitions & when the c: is actually the 2nd partition etc etc
Its old , so is expected not to work 100% 10 years later :cool:

I did find Ghost_Solution_Suite, only a wopping 400M++ !!!!!!
Go symantec :banana

edit. I found the GHOST15 page, had to use google to find it. Symantecs website is a disgrace
http://us.norton.com/ghost

Chilling_Silence
09-12-2010, 12:20 PM
We use Ghost Solution Suite here, it's freakin awesome. What do you wanna know about it ?

09-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm downloading Ghost Solution Suite now. Good to know its a good product then.
Im just after a disk imaging/disk cloning program that will clone HD's on everything, incl servers. Recovery partitions have caused a few issues when cloning HD's on some machines.

Chilling_Silence
09-12-2010, 12:30 PM
This goes one step further allowing you to deploy software packages as well as customizations to the OS, driver packages and more!

inphinity
09-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Ghost v15 is over a year old... Ghost Solution Suite is based around Ghost 11 afaik, but there was an update around Dec09/Jan10 that added Win7 support. Not aware of any issues with either in regards to partitioning etc.

09-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I just looked on our shelf. It seems we have Ghost 14 allready(unused) & really wasnt what we needed .WE went back to an earlier version. So I'd imagine a ghost11 based product may not be suitable. (???)
I'll try it & see anyway.

We need a boot CD based HD cloner/imager. The ghost Boot CD we are using has occasional issues with on SOME older laptops & PC's hanging if a USB HD is plugged in (it will boot from the CD but then hang)
Also Occasionly HP & others OEM partitioning(& sometimes boot manager for recovery partition) cause a non bootable HD clone. Im guessing its just the version of Ghost we use is too old.

Ive been using Maxblast pretty sucessfully, but occasionly it isnt practical.
Its the problem HD clones that consume alot of time to get working.

gary67
09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Just convince him that Active is good. I have been using it at home and it is very good on my Win7 64bit machine every backup I have made works flawlessly, have put some of them back to test without issue. And it is cheap too. Average image takes me about 20mins to create over my network to my backup server