PDA

View Full Version : Need to copy files from Win98 to WinXP

WalOne
08-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi guys

Neighbour has a Win 98 machine that's on its last legs (a bit like the neighbour). Someone gave her a Windows XP, but now she needs to copy some files from one to the other. The floppy disc doesn't work, and to send the files by dial-up is out of the question.

It is possible to copy direct from one machine to the other, I remember setting up some machines this way, but that was 15 years ago, and I haven't a clue how to go about it now.

Can anybody give me some pointers please?

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Network them or use a flash drive

The Error Guy
08-12-2010, 06:02 PM
If you are feeling capable, put the 98 HDD into slave on the XP machine, you can then copy directly from HDD to HDD. afterwards you can take the 98 HDD out or leave it in as a backup drive

USB would be slow as I doubt the 98 has USB 2.0 support so the best idea from would most likely be to install an Ethernet NIC and network them as speedy said. I'm assuming the 98 machine won't have an Ethernet card and the XP machine has one, try to borrow one. If you live in wellington I can lend you one but from memory your from auckland.

If the 98 machine has a CD writer (and there is not a lot to move) then a CD or two might do it as well, again if CD is the most viable option but you don't have a CD writer in the 98 machine you can always borrow one from someone (if possible) or take it out of the XP machine, if you take it out of the XP you might as well do the HDD swap though

pctek
08-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Slave the HDD, fastest way

Paul.Cov
08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I can say from personal experience that you may struggle to find a USB stick that will have drivers to allow it to function in Win98.

Also concur that configuring the Win98 drive to Slave (or secondary) and sticking it temporarily into the XP machine will carry the least pain in terms of achieving a quick and complete copy of files... as I'd expect the XP HDD to have sufficient space to hold everything off the Win98 drive.

Problems might arise however when she tries to access these files, as she may be wishin to access email or documents from W98 that are in a location or format that is not recognised by the XP machine. Copy and paste of the files may not be enough.

onelateknight
08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I can say from personal experience that you may struggle to find a USB stick that will have drivers to allow it to function in Win98.

Also concur that configuring the Win98 drive to Slave (or secondary) and sticking it temporarily into the XP machine will carry the least pain in terms of achieving a quick and complete copy of files... as I'd expect the XP HDD to have sufficient space to hold everything off the Win98 drive.

Problems might arise however when she tries to access these files, as she may be wishin to access email or documents from W98 that are in a location or format that is not recognised by the XP machine. Copy and paste of the files may not be enough.

Usb drivers for Win98 ;)

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

These drivers allow me to use my 4GB/ 8GB flashdrives and my new 1TB seagate external hard-drive in Win98_se.

WalOne
09-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Thanks for all your input guys. It seems as though consensus is to slave the HDD, so once I figure out how to do it, I'll give that a try. Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Just jumper it as slave (or leave it on master). If you connect it to an IDE connector, with nothing else on it. But if you connect it to something else on the same IDE connector, make sure that device isnt jumpered to slave. or you'll have probs

The Error Guy
09-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Rule 1: Earth yourself
Rule 2: Remove power

now, take off one of the side panels on the 98 and XP machines, the side you want is the one the left (looking at the machine front on. It's usually a couple of screws at the back, slide away.

Inside the 98 machine look for a couple of big wide IDE ribbons, one will go the CD (optical) drive, the other will go the the HDD. once you have Identified the HDD take the IDE ribbon and pull it from the back of the drive, do the same with power cable from PSU. note that they will be quite tight, you may have to pull a bit harder than you expect.
(Image of a HDD + IDE and Power http://goo.gl/NeV1R)

Ok, now you have got all the cables out identify the 4 screws on the HDD bracket on the PC, you may have to take of the panel on the other side of the computer in order to get them about. once all the screws are out, the HDD should easily come out of the drive bay, 1st step done.

Now you have to set the drive into "slave" mode to do this look on the HDD, their should be some pretty little diagrams showing which jumper positions set Master/slave/Cable select (http://goo.gl/NBHCf) You want the one that says "Slave" Basicly, set the jumper (little white pin in photo, yours may be blue/black/brown) across the pins specified on the HDD, on some drives slave may be no jumper, in that case remove the jumper completely.

Now, to put it in the XP machine do the reverse, open the XP machine panel, identify the IDE ribbon to HDD but instead of taking it out, find another IDE connector on the same ribbon, also get a power lead from the PSU and plug it in to give the drive for power.
Its probably easier to screw the drive in first though. anyway once all leads are in its time to power up the machine, don't close up the case just yet as if there is a problem you will need to open it up to sort it out.

once the drive is operating and the computer can see it/copy files you can screw the sides back on.

WalOne
09-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Error Guy. You anticipated what would happen next and saved me the embarrassment of having to ask, what do I do next? :o

dugimodo
09-12-2010, 02:40 PM
I dont remember win 98 very well but you should be able to export any browser favourites to a file and export email as well, these are a little tricky to locate and copy manually drive to drive so I like to export / import them.

Sorry I can't give better instructions. Always muddle my way through at the time and dont have a win98 machine around to look at any more.

Lurking
10-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi guys

Neighbour has a Win 98 machine that's on its last legs (a bit like the neighbour). Someone gave her a Windows XP, but now she needs to copy some files from one to the other. The floppy disc doesn't work, and to send the files by dial-up is out of the question.

It is possible to copy direct from one machine to the other, I remember setting up some machines this way, but that was 15 years ago, and I haven't a clue how to go about it now.

Can anybody give me some pointers please?

Couple of "wise-cracks" there WalOne, the 2nd one knocks you about ! only 15 years tooo.

Have an old IBM PC 300 sitting here that has 2 USB 2 ports and that's what I used to copy directories over to the XP machine 4 gigs at the time from the 30 gig IBM, most of the 30gig is bloated Windows tho, lol.

Good luck with the neighbour too.

Lurking.