PDA

View Full Version : iPhone email/Outlook/Telecom

Metla
08-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Greetings people.

The company I work for have recently "upgraded" their work phones from Blackberries to iphones 4, They need to be able to receive emails to both their phones and PC's.

When the PC is running they are getting a retrieval error on the phone stating that another device is configured to recieve email.

And emails received by the PC are not being received by the phone, The account is configured to leave a copy of the email on the server for 14 days.

I believe that when the phone retrieves the email first it can then be retrieved by the PC from the email server.

The system has been working perfectly with the previous phones, The new phones are running on the Telecom network, and the email is run through a telecom service called Officemail.

Telecom are drawing a blank.:horrified

Metla
08-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Seems to be a limitation of POP3 and the way the iphone talks to the server.:waughh:

Jesus, You would think Telecom would know about their own systems.

SolMiester
08-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Seems to be a limitation of POP3 and the way the iphone talks to the server.:waughh:

Jesus, You would think Telecom would know about their own systems.

Yeah, they will need an exchange server..We have a BES for the Blackberrys, however the iphone use push tech for contact with exchange, you just need to setup an external address for the SMTP protocol.

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2010, 08:49 AM
No it's definitely doable, you can adjust the setting in *both* outlook and the iPhone to download all mail and delete it after say 7 days. I've got my father setup just like that.

Still, switch them to GAFYD, as it emulates Exchange mail and is free for 50 users :D

Safari
08-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Well the iphone is receiving mail ok just not after the PC has received it.
This indicated the PC is removing mail from the server even though you say it is set to leave it on for 14 days.
Any other PCs downloading the mail and not set to leave a copy on server.
What mail client is the PC using. Is it set to delete from the server after moving from inbox or or deleting from deleted or something like that.

Metla
08-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Well the iphone is receiving mail ok just not after the PC has received it.
This indicated the PC is removing mail from the server even though you say it is set to leave it on for 14 days.
Any other PCs downloading the mail and not set to leave a copy on server.
What mail client is the PC using. Is it set to delete from the server after moving from inbox or or deleting from deleted or something like that.

Not quite, When the mail is checked by the iphone, the PC then gives the "other device configured to check email" error for about 10 minutes and then it can send and receive as normal.

Metla
08-12-2010, 09:19 AM
No it's definitely doable, you can adjust the setting in *both* outlook and the iPhone to download all mail and delete it after say 7 days. I've got my father setup just like that.
:D

Thats not the problem, Its the one device locking out access for the other for a period of time.

Metla
08-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah, they will need an exchange server..We have a BES for the Blackberrys, however the iphone use push tech for contact with exchange, you just need to setup an external address for the SMTP protocol.

Sweet.

I have no idea what an exchange server is though,:horrified.

They rejected my suggestion to ditch telecom and run the email system through a host that allows direct configuration of email protocols.

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2010, 09:35 AM
What happens if you adjust the polling time on each device to like 30 minutes ?

psycik
08-12-2010, 11:16 AM
I'd look at getting an exchange server....have you thought about instead of tryiung to install your own to look at microsoft BPOS or Googles Apps? Both have exchange support (and therefore outlook/iphone via exchange).

Google apps can be either free (I use this for home with up to 50 accounts) or you can pay for premier - which gives you more accounts, more storage (free has 7gb per account) and better support.

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Took the words right outta my mouth, I'm with psycik, go GAFYD! :D

Safari
08-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't get this problem. Why is an exchange server needed because they are using Office Mail. iphone and Outlook are both using POP3 and many people use both of these with them set to leave mail on the server and they work ok.
Office mail is just Telecom's system to access domain email is it not and can be setup for POP3 as in this case.

Metla
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Oh yeah, that sorted it

:pf1mobmini:

Safari
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
How are you getting on with that problem Metla.
I am quite interested to know the fix for this.

Metla
09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
As far as I'm aware the fix is to use IMAP instead of POP3.

I've passed that up the chain, with a recommendation to change the hosting to allow direct configuration of the email accounts.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12462839

Safari
09-12-2010, 09:09 PM

I've passed that up the chain, with a recommendation to change the hosting to allow direct configuration of the email accounts.

Thanks Metla
It might be some limitation on the telecom officemail server but I don't think you would have that problem with any other ISP as the way you have it setup is used frequently without any problems.
Strange it was working before though.

veldthui
12-12-2010, 06:59 PM

There was some issue about the POP3 protocol not working 100% on the iPhone and to use IMAPI instead.
Doesn't bother me because I run Exchange Server 2010 at home and at work they run the 2007 version and iPhone hooks to both great. Get home and work mail. Had to turn off push though due to huge amount of e-mail work generates.

Alex B
14-12-2010, 11:16 PM

Push is an ugly word when you're talking about active sync as there is really no such thing. (Although the iphone calls it a push) its really just polling for mail all the time so uses tonnes of data and tonnes of battery. I have mine polling the server every hour.

For push mail/instant email retrieval you really can not beat blackberry.

and does office mail support imap? I actually thought it supported full active sync/exchange mail but maybe thats another telecom product.

While an exchange server would be the ideal answer its also not exactly a cheap one.

Erayd
15-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Push is an ugly word when you're talking about active sync as there is really no such thing. (Although the iphone calls it a push) its really just polling for mail all the time so uses tonnes of data and tonnes of battery. I have mine polling the server every hour.Are you sure? The whole point of ActiveSync is that it holds the connection open and pushes mail to your phone as soon as it arrives, and as a result my [exchange account] email shows up on my phone within a second or so of appearing in Outlook...

Yes, push mail will use more battery than polling will - this is generally caused by the need to maintain a constant connection to the server, rather than being able to forget about it for a few minutes and go completely to sleep.

Chilling_Silence
15-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Funny, I found that with the iPhone and my Android N1 that mail shows up faster on the phone than on the desktop client :p

psycik
15-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Funny, I found that with the iPhone and my Android N1 that mail shows up faster on the phone than on the desktop client :p

Yeah me too.

Alex B
15-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Are you sure? The whole point of ActiveSync is that it holds the connection open and pushes mail to your phone as soon as it arrives, and as a result my [exchange account] email shows up on my phone within a second or so of appearing in Outlook...

Yes, push mail will use more battery than polling will - this is generally caused by the need to maintain a constant connection to the server, rather than being able to forget about it for a few minutes and go completely to sleep.

Yeap sorry, you basically said the same thing as me in a much better way. IMO its a bit ugly and not a true push if you have to keep a constant connection to the server, and active sync has to, as it has no idea where to send the mail otherwise (phone changing IP etc). BlackBerry does not do this, but it requires a whole lot of infrastructure to do a true push, and your email going through RIM's servers.

Through exchange?
Turn off cached exchange mode if you have it turned on/your exchange server is local.

Chilling_Silence
15-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Nope, never used that.

I don't use Exchange any longer, I'm 100% Google ;)

psycik
15-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Nope, never used that.

I don't use Exchange any longer, I'm 100% Google ;)

Dont you use exchange from google?

Chilling_Silence
15-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Well yes, it emulates exchange, I have that setup so it syncs my domain email / calendar 100% between my Desktop, Cellphone, Tablet and laptop. It's freakin awesome and 100% FREEEEEE!!! :D

Erayd
15-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Funny, I found that with the iPhone and my Android N1 that mail shows up faster on the phone than on the desktop client :pI think the difference here is that when I'm at work, my PC is around 1ms away from the exchange server, whereas my phone is not - I don't generally use the wifi connection at work; I just leave it on mobile data unless I need an internal IP for something.