PDA

View Full Version : Create Custom Resolution in W7

The Error Guy
07-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I need to create a custom resolution (1280x768) for my resurrected HTPC, the current card is largely unsupported these days I THINK (nothing has been exact on the machine, I have downloaded more than 1gb of drivers, only just got graphics working without the MS drivers) the card is a Nvidia 420D.

Apparently I should use the nvidia control panel, I don't think I have one and I havn't been able to find one on the net for the 420 series.

If I can get hold of NCP (Nvidia control) then things should be easy. if not is there another way?

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I doubt it. Unless the drivers, and the monitor support it, I dont think you can create a resolution. What resolution can the driver / monitor go up to?

inphinity
07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I presume you are just using the onboard graphics, and the 420D you are referring to is the nForce 420 chipset. You can get drivers for up to Windows Vista (which should work with win7) from nVidia's driver archive as a legacy product.

The Error Guy
07-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I doubt it. Unless the drivers, and the monitor support it, I dont think you can create a resolution. What resolution can the driver / monitor go up to?

Monitors Native is 1280x768
Current Res (best I can get) showing is 1024x768
Max Res: 2048x1536

The Error Guy
07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I presume you are just using the onboard graphics, and the 420D you are referring to is the nForce 420 chipset. You can get drivers for up to Windows Vista (which should work with win7) from nVidia's driver archive as a legacy product.

last few times i tried that it claimed it couldn't find my card, even though the packs stated 420/420D ( I tried about 6 drivers from nvidia)

GavRoars
11-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi,
Not sure if you've tried this driver but it may help.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.05.html

After you've updated your drivers right-click your desktop and then go into the Nvidia Control Panel and from there you should hopefully be able to resize your desktop using the sliders which will create the custom resolution for you. I've had to do a similar thing to get my desktop to fit my LCD TV properly. Good luck :)