PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Elements 6 no cd/dvd drive option

bellbird
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Nothing is backed up on my 5yo HP Pavilion, Windows XP SP3. Starting to panic about the possbility of losing important stuff. I thought I'd make a start with all my Photoshop pics but "No CD/DVD Drive Available" message pops up. There is no E drive option in any drop down lists. I have installed a new dvd/cd drive and it is working ok.
I found this, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402306.html but I'm not sure if If this is the correct fix. Thanks for any help.

gary67
07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
As it says in that link any other burning programs installed?

bellbird
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I have ImgBurn installed, I just wanted to know if I should go ahead with the solution in the link. I'm not all that confident making changes in the Registry but can probably follow the instructions ok if that is the right option.

gary67
07-12-2010, 02:04 PM
How did you select what to backup did you do it through photoshop? What happens if you go to the folder and right click them and choose send to selecting your DVD drive?

feersumendjinn
07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I have ImgBurn installed, I just wanted to know if I should go ahead with the solution in the link. I'm not all that confident making changes in the Registry but can probably follow the instructions ok if that is the right option.
This does the same thing (but without chewed fingernails)
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Problem may be caused by programs like Alcohol 120 (http://www.alcohol-soft.com/)% etc messing with the registry.

bellbird
08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
MATS reports "Drive not capable of burning". The CD/DVD drive is a new one and working ok. I can burn iTunes music to CD and burn DVD of video clips. The problem is that in Adobe Photoshop if I select eg, Make a CD/DVD, Share, or Backup to CD/DVD I get a messge "No CD/DVD Drive Available". If I chose "Copy/Move to Removable Disk" the E drive is not on the list of options. I'd like to be able to work from Photoshop and not files.

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Whats the brand/model of the cd/dvd you installed?

bellbird
08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
The Model is LG GH22NP20 Super Multi DVD Rewriter.

bellbird
09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I tried the solution in the link in my first post, it has a demo which I found really helpful. The cd/dvd drive is now showing up in Photoshop and I can copy to disk ok. I ran MATS Fixit again and it still tells me "Drive Not Capable of Burning" so I don't know what that's about, all seems ok for now anyway. Thanks for posting with suggestions.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Are you using an 80-wire IDE cable for it?? Its got a blue connector on the mobo end?? Did you connect the cable the right way round (the blue connector, if its got one, should be on the mobo end). What did you jumper it as? Master, slave or cable select?

bellbird
09-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I didn't remove the cable from the mobo end. I've looked at some pics I took before removing the cable and power (mostly a mess of leads and things to my eyes) but I can see that the cable connector into the cd/dvd is black and has E186075. I'm not sure if it is an 80-wire. I don't remember the "jumper" step. How do I do that. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2010, 11:03 PM
You look on the back of the dvd (where the power is plugged into it)

bellbird
09-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Ok , I can do that tomorrow. What should it be set to?

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Depends, is it the only thing thats connected with the IDE connection? If it is, it can be jumpered to either Master or slave. If there's something else on the same cable, make sure both arent on Master or slave

If you've got an IDE cable with a blue connector on one end, I would use that instead