PDA

View Full Version : Printer Ink Usage

learning
07-12-2010, 06:43 AM
I am not too happy with HP OfficeJet 4500 Series which sucks ink like a Camel and then i have to spend ton of $$ on getting ink cartridges.

What brand printer generally have lower usage on Ink ?

I am looking for a multifunction printer, doesnt have to be laser and I wont be printing photos etc, just Documents in B&W and Color too.

Paul.Cov
07-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Recent discussions have pointed towards Canon inkjets. Whatever you buy, make sure the ink tanks are not 'chipped' to control their use and replacement. Find yourself a source of good cloned ink (eg on TradeMe) and you'll be laughing. DO NOT use the Melco CISS inks.

HP tanks are typically small, and only half filled, and come with the added expense of the embedded print head.

08-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Or get the HP ink carts refilled at cartridge world.

Nomad
08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
For this reason we never had a inkjet other than we I got into photography (photo paper) and my uni's portable printer.

We always had laser printer after our first printer (dot matrix).

I don't like Cartridge World. They are cheaper but .. the density of the blacks are sure different. We got it for our laser. It did leak toner on the sides but I guess there is a warranty/swap but even thou it was working fine - it was the density of the blacks. Even b/w charts off a report didn't come out decent, nor the text.

Bobh
08-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I have two Injet printers (an Epson and a Canon). I have found Injets cheap to buy but expensive to run.

My next printer will be a Laser. More expensive to buy but cheaper to run.

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Wait till you replace the toner

Nomad
08-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Wait till you replace the toner

they round about a hundred a pop. but they last so much longer.

printers are not really that much diff. lasers could be found at around $100 but i guess you may not have all the brands in those prices as you do with inkjets. they don't clogg either. we generally change a toner like each 2yr I think.

not sure about the cheaper inkjets. but they might be a $60 right or a $30 for each colour? i know on mine, got it used for photography, it takes 8 i think or 7, each cost $30, so that does add up.

pctek
08-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Recent discussions have pointed towards Canon inkjets.

Actually recent discussions have established that Canon don't lie about when it is actually empty.

However nearly every Canon I've looked up does bugger all pages per cartridge. Which is what most people mean when they complain about ink usage.

Which is why I ended up the my particular printer. Black is fine, it does do around 1200 pages per cartridge and the price for one is:
920XL HP Hi Capacity Black Ink Cartridge $43.47

The only Canon I found that would do 1000 pages the cost was $99.98

Bugger that.