PDA

View Full Version : laptop restarting and restarting

tut
06-12-2010, 04:20 PM
My sister has an older HP laptop running XP.
When you start it, it comes up with the page you get when it wasn't shut down properly.
If you select 'start normally' or let it time out and restart it goes blank then comes back with the same page over and over.
I believe it may have started doing this after the power plug came out. The battery is u/s so only runs on the mains.

I am almost comletely inept with computers so the question is more for my own interest as I will have to take it to a tech when I can. It is also unfortunate that it is in Chinese which I cant read.

Thanks for your consideration.

CYaBro
06-12-2010, 04:24 PM
When you get the menu screen are you able to use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode and see what happens then?

tut
06-12-2010, 05:05 PM
When you get the menu screen are you able to use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode and see what happens then?

I can select what I think is safe mode with the keys but the results are the same. I get the XP logo screen then into the menu screen again.

I dont hear any noise from the hard drive. Could it have failed and given these indications?

feersumendjinn
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
You would not get the Xp logo screen at all, if the HDD wasnt spinning (would report HDD failed/OS not found or similar), but chances are that the HDD and/or boot sector has been corrupted by the power interruption/failure; does the laptop have a recovery partition, or have you any recovery discs?

WarNox
06-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Boot from a WinXP CD and do a repair, not using the recovery console though. Follow these instructions, they seem legit:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Sounds like the prob that HP's had after SP3 had been installed (since its HP), and if its an AMD system

tut
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.
WarNox, she didnt have an XP disc but I had one for another computer and used that. It only worked so far folllowing you instructions then keep saying the hard drive was corrupt and a format might fix it. I did that and it is going minus all the files though. I dont think that will worry her too much.
I did find that there was a broken wire in the power lead just before the plug which might have caused the fault as the power supply was intermittant and she probably just kept on restarting it until was stuffed.

Any advice on how to change the language to Chnese now would be welcome.

Thanks again

WarNox
07-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Yea maybe the hard drive does have some bad sectors, but there was no need to lose all the data/keys etc. Suppose if it doesn't bother her its alright :)

Control Panel > Regional Settings > Language or something along those lines to change the computer language. You might need to install the Chinese language pack but that should also be on the Win XP cd. I don't have a win xp computer here so can't tell you the exact steps.

tut
07-12-2010, 06:10 PM
She wasnt worried about losing data. She did have some backed up on a flash drive and and most of the important stuff was in emails in her hotmail account so I assume that will be still there when she accesses that
I Googled changing language and found what you mentioned.
Thanks again