PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Knowledge Required

Obelix
06-12-2010, 09:05 AM
So the flat I am living at has wireless capabilities.

When I use my laptop, I always get a great signal, and never have a problem.

However, have just setup the old desktop, and use a Linksys Wireless USB Adaptor (Model WUSB54GC). Using this method I hardly ever get a wireless connection, and if I do it only lasts for about 5 minutes and then losses the connection.

They are both located in the same place when I have them on.

As the leptop is works, and I would prefer to be using the desktop, larger screen etc., I need to know how to make the signal stronger.

Is it the USB wirelss adaptor?
Do I need to look at buying a new adaptor that has an inbuilt aerial?

I need some recommendations as to how to improve the connectivity, and reliability!

Chilling_Silence
06-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Where is the USB adapter located physically? What sort of signal strength do you get when it dies?
Depending on your AP, you could try replacing it with a bigger / better antenna, and bumping up the output power?

gcarmich
06-12-2010, 09:29 AM
A quick google search shows a lot of low signal and drop out issues with the WUSB54GC, might be worth trying another make and/or model.

feersumendjinn
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Maybe these guys can advise
http://www.gowifi.co.nz/

linw
06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Use a PCI card with 'proper' aerial?

WarNox
06-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Update the firmware/driver for the card, thats the easiest place to start.

If at all possible I'd run a cable from the router, thats the best solution if you're not planning to move stuff around too much. Although as someone said getting a new USB adapter would prob work too and won't be very expensive.