PDA

View Full Version : PF1 troubles

notechyet
06-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Hi all
I have troubles with PF1 for about a week?:confused:
Seamonkey uses Adblock and FF uses Erayd's script. See attachments.
Any idea when that might be resolved?

zqwerty
06-12-2010, 07:18 AM
It may be weeks, the 'powers that be' are in a creative phase.

kjaada
06-12-2010, 08:00 AM
My PF1 on FF this morning is back to "normal"

Chilling_Silence
06-12-2010, 08:06 AM
They've said that while they're doing new stuff and trying out things that it may, on occasion, break. We all know that it's in their best interests to keep things going though so if it's down or semi-broken, I wouldn't expect any significant / extended periods of downtime.

idgadmin
06-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi, Karl here. Not sure yet what happened to servers this weekend (still looking).

Last week, There was a Telecom fault, so we lost connections for 24 hours.

Working hard on v2 release of PC World site & then Press F1 v2 to follow.

zqwerty
06-12-2010, 08:45 PM
admin, are you familiar with the term 'gilding the lily'?

SP8's
06-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Or ... if it ain't broke ... don't bother fixing it ... :D

Snorkbox
07-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Or. If you can't deliver don't promise.

zqwerty
07-12-2010, 06:33 AM
management/middle-management always seems to suffer from the delusion that things that exist in the real world can be continuously improved. I put it down to power-tripping and a complete lack of understanding of the real-world plus enlightened self-interest coupled with shuffling and juggling deck chairs on the Titanic to justify exorbitant salaries and maintain the illusion that they are in control to themselves as well as to anyone else.

Once something is optimized, any so-called improvement is always a step backwards and merely a cosmetic change which compromises some aspect of functionality.

For instance could a giraffe or a zebra be improved.

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Lets just say if it wasn't for Karl pushing for PF1, it would have been killed off by the management that you speak of a long time ago. Show some gratitude.

zqwerty
07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes management up in their Ivory Tower is always out of touch with what is really going on, they arrive to start raising paperwork once the cash flow gets up and success is on the horizon, any other circumstance and they are nowhere to be found.

So if PressF1, which must be a very successful venture in terms of results and publicity for PCWorld would be in danger of management closing it if it wasn't for some sort of internal push to revamp the advertising presentation on the pages, simply because there is no actual cash money appearing in the bank account as a direct result of activities on PressF1, typically short-sighted.

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Pretty much, but I don't care. They're putting in some effort to make it nicer for the community and really hoping to change things. I've met up with some of them over the plans, and lets just say it should be well worth the teething issues ;)

I for one, am grateful.

Jen
07-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I agree with Chill. There are some people here who do nothing but whinge.

Some people don't like change, who would have thought so many so-called 'geeks' would be in that group. :rolleyes:

There are planned changes afoot for the forum apart from advert placements to add improvements. I guess you will complain about that too.

Most of Karl's/admin work is in the background, unseen and pretty much thankless (from PF1'ers). Give him a break.

zqwerty
07-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Change for change sake is not genuine progress.

Erayd
07-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Change for change sake is not genuine progress.Exactly - that's why it's so nice to see some genuine progress here for a change (thanks Karl, Siobhan, et al), instead of the usual 'reshuffle-the-ads' act.

The Error Guy
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Change is good, just not in the unexpected places. TBH, I like the interest that is being shown, other than chill and jen I never really knew of any other "people in power" who could smite us where we stand as it were.

With a bit of CSS and element hiding, PF1 is looking very snappy (compared to the "old" version)

So best regards to dev team and affiliates!

QW.
07-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Well I think the new layout is much faster loading than the old.
Keep up the good work guys :thumbs: