PDA

View Full Version : Broadband that offers national data for less?

Chilling_Silence
05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I've got two sites I'm wanting to link, they'll be transferring a significant amount of data across the country. Does anybody know if any ISPs offer unlimited, or like Telstra used to have national only count for 10% of what you transfered?

Peak speed / jitter doesn't matter, just overall throughput nationally att a lower cost.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chill.

:pf1mobmini:

somebody
06-12-2010, 06:26 AM
ICONZ do free national traffic.

Safari
06-12-2010, 06:51 AM
ICONZ do free national traffic.

Are you sure.
All I can find is this.
ADSL speed is dependent on your local exchange and is a best efforts service of those indicated above. Extra data usage on ICONZ ADSL Broadband will be charged at half cent per MB. (i.e. 1GB = $5.12) Data includes national and international email and internet traffic. All prices exclude GST.

somebody
06-12-2010, 06:52 AM
We use ICONZ (Fibre in Auckland and Citylink in Wellington) and have free national traffic. It might be a grandparented plan perhaps - I don't have much to do with procurement but have been told by our procurement guys that national traffic is free.

Chilling_Silence
06-12-2010, 07:38 AM
All it says on their page is "Data includes national and international email and internet traffic"
:(

http://www.iconz.net/internet/adsl-broadband

somebody
06-12-2010, 05:58 PM
All it says on their page is "Data includes national and international email and internet traffic"
:(

http://www.iconz.net/internet/adsl-broadband

Ah - we're not on ADSL. We also signed our agreement quite a long time ago, so might be on a grandparented plan.

Erayd
06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Ah - we're not on ADSL. We also signed our agreement quite a long time ago, so might be on a grandparented plan.More likely the fact that you're on a business fibre plan probably has something to do with it ;).

CyberHubHost
07-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah you can get unmetered national traffic from Hosting Direct check out their unmetered ADSL page (http://www.hd.net.nz/adsl/unmetered-adsl)

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh wow they do ADSL now? That's interesting ...

Still, with them doing flat-rate, I wonder if they'll end up in the same boat as Slingshot have?

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Looks good, just spoke with them about how they operate it and things, reselling options, QoS restrictions. I've dealt a bit with them in the past for some hosting and they're pretty onto it kinda people. Might bite the bullet and give them a whirl :)

nedkelly
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Let us know how it goes

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah I've had relatively good dealings with them in the past, so here's hoping they're still as onto it :)

They reckon 5-10 working days to get connected, though apparently some customers have been switched over in the last few months in approx 2 hours (WOW!).

There's no contract (30 days cancellation notice) so I figure I may as well?

Gotta see if my cousin ended up going to Slingshot on their unlimited plan, might try and do a comparison blog article ;)

nedkelly
07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Im thinking about getting my dell server hosted there and running a website and an IRC server on it.

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2010, 07:37 AM
I've had a couple of boxes in there. By far the cheapest. Initially had some issues with their hosting setups, for example one of their clients boxes got rooted and smashed their network to pieces for all other customers, 2-3 little things like that happened over the course of 6 months causing downtime etc, but they've been pretty good since. That was ~ 2 years ago too.

Really can't beat their price though!

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Well that was nice, just got a quick friendly call from Ben reminding me that they don't post the changeover until I've paid. I maxed my CC over the weekend paying for a surprise birthday for my wife, so I told him I'd pay in a couple of days. Very friendly, so far I'm impressed!

Chilling_Silence
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Well long story short, I got an email yesterday evening confirming they were gonna change me anyway and my order was about to be processed. They remembered I'd had an account with them previously.

Quick review for those interested:
Connection went through in under 24 hours. Rang the helpdesk to get a username and password, spoke with Ben & Guy, both very helpful, polite and professional.
They're not largely advertising the product at the moment while they're investing in their internal infrastructure, they mentioned this while I was on the phone to them. Good on them for wanting to be prepared!
While I was restarting my router, I suggested that I just go and call them back if I had any further issues, but they insisted they stay on the line until I was 100% online. They also got me to run a speedtest to make sure I was happy. Max line speed of 3.5m/bit from anywhere. Definitely happy.

Only down side is interleaving was switched on again (It was off), but that's not that big of a deal. So far I give them 9.5/10, but time will tell :)

Looks like it may work out well for the national -> national link a client wants!