PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Headset Mic

LarsJohann
05-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Hello there, i've had this headset for quite a few months now : http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-5hv2

But recently, i've realised that the mic produces static noise and stops working when i wiggle the wire near the mic plug. The headphones work completely fine. I'm guessing that it's just a wire that has come loose or something. Does anyone know how I could approach fixing this. Could i just cut the coat of the wire with a knife and take a look?

SP8's
05-12-2010, 10:53 AM
If it's only the mic plug, DSE, Jaycars, or similar should have a replacement plug of the same type ... just cut the old plug off, strip the wires back and solder onto the appropriate lugs in the new plug.

I would suggest that the original wires are moulded into the plug and, therefore, you will not be able to get them out ... off with the old plug ... on with the new.

OPPS ... just seen the link .... it may be a little more tricky than just replacing the mic plug as it looks like the earphone jack and mic are combined .... you should still be able to get a replacement plug, but the wires are very fine and you would need good soldering skills to replace it and make sure all wires go to the correct lugs in the plug.