PDA

View Full Version : Printer Ink

pctek
05-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Figured out what's with my printer.

Black is OK, but colour which should do approx 700 pages per cartridge have needed to be replaced far too frequently.

Have whinged to HP about it, but I figured it out.
Got the total printer page count and if I divide that by the number of times I've replaced the colours, it comes to around 700. Except I haven't printed many in colour, most of that printing has been black text only.

But the printer doesn't care, it counts and then announces the colour ink is empty. Took one apart a while back - it sure wasn't empty.

Grrrrrrrr

paulw
05-12-2010, 07:37 AM
One of the reasons I don't use a HP. I use a Canon and they go rite until they are empty..

Trev
05-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Reset your HP inkcartridge here (http://www.misterinkjet.com/hpreset.htm) which of course you probably already know.
:)

Poppa John
05-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Reset your HP inkcartridge here (http://www.misterinkjet.com/hpreset.htm) which of course you probably already know.

Have you got one for Epson TX300F? PJ

Snorkbox
05-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Try here PJ:-

http://resetters.blogspot.com/2009/11/resetter-epson-tx300f-and-epson-tx700w.html

Poppa John
05-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Try here PJ:-

http://resetters.blogspot.com/2009/11/resetter-epson-tx300f-and-epson-tx700w.html

Thanks. Will look at that. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Do HP's and Epson have firmware updates? I know with some Brother printers FW updates can fix this issue (I've got one that fixed an issue, when it said the ink was low, when it wasn't)

pctek
05-12-2010, 01:03 PM
I use a Canon and they go rite until they are empty..

And how do you know it's really empty?

CliveM
05-12-2010, 02:08 PM

That is easy. You cannot print anything.

mikebartnz
05-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Figured out what's with my printer.

Black is OK, but colour which should do approx 700 pages per cartridge have needed to be replaced far too frequently.

Have whinged to HP about it, but I figured it out.
Got the total printer page count and if I divide that by the number of times I've replaced the colours, it comes to around 700. Except I haven't printed many in colour, most of that printing has been black text only.

But the printer doesn't care, it counts and then announces the colour ink is empty. Took one apart a while back - it sure wasn't empty.

Grrrrrrrr
I can reset my cartridges or if you have more than three keep swapping them.

Trev
05-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Will my Canon ip4700 has see through cartridges and also a red led starts flashing and also a message comes up on the screen.

The Error Guy
05-12-2010, 03:47 PM
My C5280 is too smart for swapping, it gets the idea and says something about an unusual HP cartridge.

SoniKalien
05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Will my Canon ip4700 has see through cartridges and also a red led starts flashing and also a message comes up on the screen.

Does it alert the police as well?

Paul.Cov
06-12-2010, 05:33 AM
HP = Filthy, dirty company wrt printer inks.
Half filled tanks and dirty tactics regarding claiming they're empty.

I won't touch HP or Brother because of their chipping issues.

At work there's a Brother laser printer/fax. It stopped and stubbornly refused to do more until the 'empty' toner was replaced.
I stuck a black adhesive strip over the window through the toner, and it's been happily printing for weeks now on the same 'empty' tank.
Dirty, filthy tactics.

pctek
06-12-2010, 11:35 AM
HP = Filthy, dirty company wrt printer inks.
I won't touch HP or Brother because of their chipping issues.

So who doesn't? Or lie in some other way..........

Billy T
06-12-2010, 12:54 PM
So who doesn't? Or lie in some other way.......... Canon! What you see is what you get, every time. I wouldn't buy anything else. They print till the ink literally runs dry. I've had Canon inkjets since 1994 and I'm only on my 5th. No 4 (S750) is still OK too, I just needed something that printed photos. Current one is an iP4200 bought January 2006 and still going just fine.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

annie
06-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Great thread, thanks for the info.

pctek
06-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Canon! What you see is what you get, every time.
Great. I need one that has a Win7 64bit driver and it must do at least 1000 pages per black cartridge. Whats available?

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2010, 06:16 PM
The MP492 has Win7 64 bit drivers. Dont know about the 1000 pages tho. I havent printed 1000 pages. But I havent replaced the original ink either.

mikebartnz
06-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Great. I need one that has a Win7 64bit driver and it must do at least 1000 pages per black cartridge. Whats available?
If you are printing those numbers you would be better off with a laser.

Paul.Cov
06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Yep, I use Canon, but I'd still exercise a great deal of caution regarding the ink tanks and the availability of clone tanks before buying a new model, as they might change their tactics at any moment if they think they're gonna get away with the same sh!+ as all the others.

Paul.Cov
06-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Actually, the HP laser at work has been top notch. Never ever stuffs up the paper feed... unlike the endless Brother lasers before it. Don't like Brother lasers at all. Plus the Brother driver packages seem to have been put together in a very haphazard fashion with insufficient documentation regarding their function/purpose.

Greven
06-12-2010, 07:36 PM
A lot of my clients use the Brother HL2150N & it seems to be a good printer as long as you don't overwork it.

The Error Guy
06-12-2010, 07:45 PM
A lot of my clients use the Brother HL2150N & it seems to be a good printer as long as you don't overwork it.

We use that as well, by overwork you mean when it starts smoking? thats quite amusing.

Phil B
06-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I've just got a Canon MG6150 to replace the MP620. The new one has win7 64 drivers & is a breeze to set up. I use it as a network printer. You select during setup how you're gonna connect it & it finds everything all on its own. Print quality is excellent.
Aftermarket ink killed the print head on the 620 (I was told by canon). It took a couple of years, but it killed it. Bond & Bond had them on special which made it cheaper to buy a new printer than repair the old

pctek
07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
The MP492 .

Yield is approx. 401 pages.

pctek
07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I've just got a Canon MG6150

Yield is approx. 341 pages per cartridge.

Sigh. This is why I bought the HP in the first place.
had a browse last night and found only 1 Canon that does 1000 odd, and the damn cartridges are $100 each!!! From the cheap shop.

My current ones are $25.

And as for the Laser suggestion - I looked at that last time - it's the same story. Pages per toner instead, and I bet they do the same sneaky stuff anyway.

Not to mention cost per toner.

Snorkbox
07-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Save some trees. Stop printing!

paulw
07-12-2010, 11:42 AM

And as long as you visit here to see how you can extend the life of the toner cart when it says Empty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPCGZZIdXyM

Phil B
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't worry too much about how many pages I get. That said I did read that the big ink cartridge in my new printer printed 1700 pages of text at 5%. Probably BS. My dad used to have HP printers & the print quality was always rubbish. Don't know what the new ones are like as they don't get a look in. The Epson printers I've had all made enough noise to wake the dead. My sister has Lexmark & the quality is rubbish. I like Canon. Quiet, fast, good print quality, plenty of features, good price if you wait for the specials. After the last experience with cheap inks I'm going to stick with genuine. It's not that much more than aftermarket ink. At least Canon guarantee the ink & if it buggers the printer, they fix it for free. That's what the little man at Canon told me + you don't have to go through the courts or whatever to prove it like you do with the cheapies. No I don't work for Canon or anyone else. I work for ME

dugimodo
08-12-2010, 08:19 AM
I like epson, yeah they are noisy but like canon they will print till the ink runs dry. On my cheap MFC I installed a CSS ( DONT bother ) and now that it's working right after much grief it's very cheap and lasts forever.

My other printer is a 6 cartridge photo printer I got because it could print on CD's but I dont use it much. The ink seems to dry up or evapourate over time because after year or so sitting around they are empty despite not being used. I mention as a reply to the aftermarket inks not being much cheaper - a full set of 6 cartridges I priced recently @ $150 for original Epson and $28 for aftermarket... Not much different ??
I run the cheap ink as I dont really care about colour accuracy or durability etc when printing on disks and the savings will easily pay for a new printer when this one dies.

what I would really like is a cheap MFC that can print CD's to replace both my current printers - any suggestions ? such a beast didn't exist when I got mine but both are getting old now and ink gets more expensive as printers get older in my experience.