PDA

View Full Version : SID Change

khalidhameed
03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi guys,

I'm running windows 7 ultimate.

I recently used newsid.exe to change the system sid, not knowing what its purpose was, and what it would do (which was stupid of me, i agree). The result is that it has somewhat crashed my computer which i am VERY distressed about and windows will load but the logon screen does not show, instead a bsod displays and then windows restarts, and eventually leads to the repair window, but even windows restore cannot recognize the problem.

I was hoping you guys would be able to help me, as you have done so nicely in the past. I've had all the problems posted here solved adequately.

Is there a way to make a bootable version of newsid.exe? because i remember my old SID and hopefully inputting it will make my windows functional again .

I'm VERY distressed about this issue as it just happened a day ago, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps- i don't wish to reinstall windows, that is a last resort for me. My computer was customized alot, and redoing that would be a huge pain in the butt.

(This post form a pc world forum member and that thread is closed, and i did'nt understand, what did he do, and i am in that position, my documents folder and desktop folder showing ZERO bytes.
if some one help me about that or that member ''h4rsheys'' can help.
i dont know much about pc if you tell me solution step by step.
thanks in advance.)
kh.khanzada@gmail.com

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Will it boot into safe mode? Probably not a good idea posting your email here. Have a read of this (http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx). Under SIDs

Snorkbox
03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
That member re installed which will fix your problem. Other than that restore the backup you made before fiddling with the SID.

You did make a backup I hope!

khalidhameed
03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
i did'nt create backup.
my admin account change into guest account and have admin rights in safe mode also.
i cant do any thing.

wainuitech
03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
newsid screws windows 7 full stop - no ifs but or maybe's.

One thing you can try - it may work, is boot from your windows 7 DVD, and run the system restore. Full instructions here (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html) method 2 - IF you are lucky it will fix it, if not -- could be a hard lesson learned I'm afraid.

All of your stuff will be there, just hidden.

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
And as the saying goes, if it aint broke, dont fix it :p

khalidhameed
03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
should i try f8 option at startup
system repair

feersumendjinn
03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Or take the hdd out, hook it up to another computer as a slave (or external, if you have an adapter), and copy off your data (or use something like Recuva (http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva) if necessary); reinstall the drive in the original machine then do a repair or reinstall (is it a brand name machine (Dell etc) or not, if it is, it may have a recovery partition).

khalidhameed
03-12-2010, 06:59 PM
i have HP Laptop and it is'nt have a recovery partition, and if i reinstall the windows
my data (desktop and my documents) will be there or gone?

wainuitech
03-12-2010, 06:59 PM
should i try f8 option at startup
system repair You can try, but you need to run system restore-- its about the only hope . it may be better using your windows DVD or the recovery CD. Its either going to work, or it wont - as per the last square bullet point This article (http://www.migee.com/2010/09/21/the-consequences-and-problems-of-newsid-4-10/) Notice the warning -- its there for a reason ;)

I've tried it a couple of times - once it worked , two times it didn't -- BTW-- I was mucking about trying to bust the OS and then fix it, as I've had a couple of people run newsid and screw things up completely.

khalidhameed
03-12-2010, 07:14 PM
but
i turned off the system restore on first day when i install the windows.
what will happen in that condition if i run the system restore?

Snorkbox
03-12-2010, 07:16 PM
You will not have a restore point then will you?

feersumendjinn
03-12-2010, 07:16 PM
If you reinstall, the data will be lost,
if you repair (or system restore as Wainui advised (edit: no restore points, that won't work :crying ), the data should remain;
Would advise backing-up data first as I said in post #8.

khalidhameed
03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
my data was on desktop and my documents folder.
and i changed the my documents folder location in d drive and now its showing ZERO bytes in properties and when i accessing it, its saying "ACCESS DENIED" .
and where will be the desktop folder.
i cannot accessing some user files in c drive user folder

wainuitech
03-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Okay -- No restore point -Bugger.

This " should" work, but no guarantees

Have a look at This page (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/), enable the "Real Administrator account" -- Its the real account,not just one with limited admin features you would normally use.

That will give you access to all the folders, drives, full control to do what ever you want etc. Locate the original account under C: Drive \ Users -- all you data "should" be there still, you can copy it to the new profile, and carry on, or a better bet would be to copy the data to a removable device, and format/reinstall Windows 7.

Failing that -- get a linux Live CD, Ubuntu, boot from that - locate your data, copy off to another location -- reinstall Windows. Ubuntu will bypass all the windows "Access denied" warnings.

khalidhameed
03-12-2010, 08:05 PM
on trying its says:

System error 5 has occurred.
Access is denied.

my user account after new sid is change into guest account and has admin rights.
and on welcome scree two users are showing one is mine and second user "other user".

net user command showing 2 users one is mine guest and second is vmware user and its administrator account
how can i access vmware account?

where can i get Linux Live CD on internet?
or can i try Mini Window 98 in Hirens Boot CD.

wainuitech
03-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Right o -- the system is really toast - you can download Ubuntu from Here (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download) That will see past all restrictions (or should) Just make sure when you boot from it, select Live (try Ubuntu) see #3 on that page. Your drive will be under places (along the top menu)

DO NOT install it, as it will wipe the drive clean then all your data will be lost.

Doubt it will work with a mini98 from Hirens CD, W7 is NTFS, win98 is FAT32.

NTFS can see FAT32 OK, but not the other way around.

Edited; there are smaller in size linux Distros, Mint, DSL (damn Small Linux), But I have personally found Ubuntu works better for doing /reading W7 in a recovery solution.

khalidhameed
03-12-2010, 09:18 PM
i am downloading ubuntu

Snorkbox
03-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I do not know where you are but be aware this is a New Zealand forum and people who can help often think about going and getting some sleep soon.

Not always but you can expect numbers here to drop off.

wainuitech
03-12-2010, 09:36 PM
you can expect numbers here to drop off As long as thats all thats drops off :lol:

Sorry mate couldn't resist that :p

But yeah :sleep soon.

Snorkbox
03-12-2010, 09:38 PM
It's why I'm sitting here with my legs crossed.:devil

wainuitech
03-12-2010, 09:39 PM
:lol: :thumbs:

fred_fish
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Just a thought....

Could you attach the HDD to another machine and use regedit to load and edit the registry hives?
Change every occurrence of the new SID back to the old one.

Or is there more than just the registry involved?

khalidhameed
06-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Right o -- the system is really toast - you can download Ubuntu from Here (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download) That will see past all restrictions (or should) Just make sure when you boot from it, select Live (try Ubuntu) see #3 on that page. Your drive will be under places (along the top menu)

DO NOT install it, as it will wipe the drive clean then all your data will be lost.

Doubt it will work with a mini98 from Hirens CD, W7 is NTFS, win98 is FAT32.

NTFS can see FAT32 OK, but not the other way around.

Edited; there are smaller in size linux Distros, Mint, DSL (damn Small Linux), But I have personally found Ubuntu works better for doing /reading W7 in a recovery solution.
Thanks Buddy
Ubuntu Works for me

khalidhameed
06-12-2010, 10:47 PM
thanks for every one