PDA

View Full Version : Win XP activation

bk T
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Cloned my 80GB HDD to a larger 160GB HDD for this old XP Home machine. When I restarted with the 'new' 160GB HDD, it loaded XP without any hassle but few seconds later, MS alerted me that I need to re-activate my Windows XP as they detected major hardware changes(not the exact wordings but something to that effect). Clicked online activation but it says that the key is invalid. Anyway, I finally phoned them and they happily gave me another set of numbers to activate Win XP.

Question here is: Is replacing a HDD a 'major hardware' change?

williamF
02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
technically no but i think windows knows what kind of hard disk it was on before and when it had to change the info it considers it a major hardware change

wainuitech
02-12-2010, 04:46 PM
YES - changing a HDD can sometimes trigger the reactivation. Other times it wont.

When windows starts up, it checks all the hardware and their ID's - changing any of the following can sometimes trigger a reactivation:

The system checks these ten categories of hardware:

* Display Adapter
* SCSI Adapter
* IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
* Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
* RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
* Processor Type
* Processor Serial Number
* Hard Drive Device
* Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
* CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

Windows XP then creates and records a number based on the first device of each type that was found during the setup and stores this number on your hard drive. So by changing the HDD, all of a sudden the ID of the HDD is not the same - hence up it came. (normally it wont though)

Its real hit and miss sometimes as to what triggers it.

zqwerty
03-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Hmmmm, don't like the sound of that, re-activation being triggered by an increase in RAM, I am about to upgrade a WinXPsp3 system from 128meg to 500meg or more RAM tomorrow, wainuitech can you please give me the MS number in this thread so that if I run into trouble I can phone them tomorrow, please.

pcuser42
03-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Hmmmm, don't like the sound of that, re-activation being triggered by an increase in RAM, I am about to upgrade a WinXPsp3 system from 128meg to 500meg or more RAM tomorrow, wainuitech can you please give me the MS number in this thread so that if I run into trouble I can phone them tomorrow, please.

IIRC, usually three changes in hardware triggers it. Upgrading RAM alone shouldn't trigger a reactivation.

SolMiester
03-12-2010, 07:19 AM

Had a client and she only had 512MB of RAM, I had some old stuff, but it was slower speed. Doubled the memory but at slightly slower speed and WTF!....sorted XP, but office then complained it wasn't genuine!!??

wainuitech
03-12-2010, 07:25 AM
I've upgraded components to many times to remember, and never had the reactivation. NEVER had it ask for reactivate on a memory upgrade. BUT its possible.

Same with the HDD's only had it once or twice over the years.

"normally" a new Motherboard or even a CPU will trigger the activation, and that is a major hardware change.

If you need to ring MS, their number is 0800 676 334 ( option 1 from memory) then you punch in the 42 digit code via the phone that appears on your screen - normally it will give you back a new one, or it may put you through to a MS rep, you tell them you changed <insert component> they may ask is the OS on any other PC, as long as you say no, they would give you a new 42 digit code to type in.

when they start asking the 20 questions, is when it shows the COA has tried to been installed several times in a real short time frame.

zqwerty
03-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Ok thanks for the info, virtually definite that I will be upgrading this computer today so maybe I will need the phone number, thanks again wainuitech.

dugimodo
03-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Also once you change something if it doesn't trigger the reactivation you can then change that component as often as you like because it's already different from the original one. So if you upgrade your graphics card every few months it only counts as one change.