PDA

View Full Version : Film / negative Scanners - have you tried them on 110 film

Morgenmuffel
02-12-2010, 02:19 PM
There have been a few threads in the past about negative scanners, but i have never go an answer about whether anyone has tried using them for the 110 film which is smaller than the standard 35mm,
110 was used in the cheaper cameras like the hanimax etc, most of my families photos are stored on 110 film

Cheers

PinoyKiw
02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Quickest way might be to make 6x4 prints off them and then use a standard scanner to save them to DVD or where ever.

Or you could source a flatbed scanner that does negative/slide scanning.

Morgenmuffel
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Quickest way might be to make 6x4 prints off them and then use a standard scanner to save them to DVD or where ever.

Or you could source a flatbed scanner that does negative/slide scanning.
Making prints off them isn't what i am after especially as there are about 40 - 50 years worth, and you can't really guess whos in the images from looking at a negative, especially as the people who would know are in their 80s and probably can't make the detail in the negatives out, as for the flatbed scanners i haven't seen any that do as great scans, those usb scanners sold on trademe seem fine but their attachments are designed for 35mm film or slides, both of which seen to make up about 40% of the families photo stuff whereas the bulk is 110

Billy T
02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
If you use a flatbed scanner you could possibly make a cardboard mask for your 110 negatives to fit inside the regular 35mm holder, or even scan them direct on the platten. It is worth a try and I agree that having them printed is not a viable option. It would be cheaper to buy a scanner than to have them commercially scanned and modern flatbed scanners can do a very professional job.

After exhaustive research I recently bought a Canon 9000F and I am mightily impressed with the speed and quality of the photo positives I have scanned. Actual photos scanned for my son's 21st were indistinguishable from digital-only images when blown up on a big screen.

You can't put a price on family history, once it is gone it is lost forever.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PinoyKiw
02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
40+ years of negatives would indeed be inpractical for printing so you could scan them. Wasn't aware of the amount involved.

Only dedicated scanner I have ever used is a Nikon Coolscan. Haven't used it for so long and since it is back in my Manila office, I cannot check, don't know if you could run 110 film through it or not.

As BillyT has confirmed, short of a dedicated 110 scanner or 110 attachment, might be a flatbed scanner job. Some flatbeds can do very good reproductions, others cannot.

Considering the number of negatives you probably want done, a professional lab would probably be a tad on the expensive side as well.

pine-o-cleen
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Firstin.co.nz has a negative scanner on special today.

http://www.firstin.co.nz/products/vupoint-usb-film-and-slide-scanner-3978/

pine-o-cleen
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
No, I don't work for firstin.

Nomad
02-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Depending what your scanner is and assuming that some scanners are quite standard you can get custom holders that individuals make themselve. Look at scanning tips I think via google.com, that guy in the USA sells various diff holders.

Other thing is I haven't seen 110 film before but how does it hold up on the 35mm or 120mm holders? If it works you might be able to draw a marque square prior to scanning each frame but then it gets tedious.

Yep, becomes a time and cost issue how you wanna do vs outside. Assuming they can do a decent job. I am guessing that some old film may need a bit of editing for the colours and taking dust spots off etc... You could batch some of them I guess but not the dust corrections.

Depends how many film you shot. My 15years I have less than 20rolls so I could do all that myself I guess.... You'll probably scan them to viewable sizes, not at max reso, cos HDD space could be an issue. Like a 35mm size in comparison could be 50MB each or more if you deal with 16bit images or even more with 32bits...

Billy T
02-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Firstin.co.nz has a negative scanner on special today. http://www.firstin.co.nz/products/vupoint-usb-film-and-slide-scanner-3978/

Doesn't do 110, so that is a bit of a drawback I think!

Seriously, for much less than the cost of having your negatives scanned professionally you can buy a good quality scanner and do it yourself. For 110 size you may have to make some masks out of matt-black card, but then you can probably scan several images in one go without a mask.

I don't have any 110 here or I'd try it myself for you.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

martynz
03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I just googled 110 scanner, there's some info and discussion to be found.

SP8's
04-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Haven't done it myself ... but logic would say thet you could scan a 110 negative the same as a 35mm then use Photoshop or similar to tidy things up should the negatives be scratchy ... as I said, I haven't tried it, but have some old 35mm slides & 110 negatives that I will try to get done over the holiday's ... depending on weather & how the fish are biting .. :D

Let you know in the New Year how I get on !

Morgenmuffel
05-12-2010, 09:17 AM
have some old 35mm slides & 110 negatives that I will try to get done over the holiday's ... depending on weather & how the fish are biting .. :D

Let you know in the New Year how I get on !

Thanks for that Sp8s

And cheers everyone, the one from firstin, has the worst reviews of any that i had looked at, there are some that do 110mm as well, however i would probably need to import it, unless i wanted the expensive cannon ones (which are the best apparently), It was more a case of wanting to knoow what others had done, as it is going to be a large expense for me at the mo, (not having a job) and I trust PF1 a bit more than those "review" sites you find on the net

Poppa John
05-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Epson v330 from Dick Smiths. Not cheap tho' . PJ