PDA

View Full Version : PC games plying with serios lag--graphics card the cause?

gza
02-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I have a problem with two games I have just installed. First prob showed when try to play Brothers in Arms - Hells Highway. Mouse pointer really doesn't respond, serious lag. Movement using keyboard keys like jagged and movement slow. Nightmare slow. Both of these problesms make me brown bread (dead) rapido!!
To save a lot of typing etc I have posted this problem on Yahoo Ask and here's the link to it. There are a couple of answers as well.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AoL.Ql0COlHIzPy3XRA4Nl7ty6IX;_ylv=3?qid =20101129010823AAaL5n8

Today I installed Call of Duty - Black Ops. Playing the game is similar to the problems with BIA- Hells Highway but nowhere near as bad. The lag is a minimal but playable annoyance.

Question is: Is this caused by my Graphics card being not up to it? My computer specs are:

WXP Pro SP3 X86, fully updated (Dual booted with W7 Ultimate X64---I don't use this OS for gaming)
Gigabyte MA-74GM-S2 Mobo
AMD AM3 Athlon II X4 630 CPU (BIOS FA)
4 GB A-Data Dual channel C5 800MHz RAM (6 GB Virtual Memeory)
Gigabyte Nividia GeForce 7300 GS, 128MB
160GB Seagate Sata2 Master HDD + 2x1TB Internal Seagate Sata2 HDD (all 7200RPM and in good nick--optimized defrag O&O Pro running full time )
CoolerMaster Extreme Plus 550Watt PSU

Computer is virus and malware free

I have just won an auction for an ATI PowerColor Radeon X800GT 256MB GDDR3 card. This will arrive in a few days.
Will it improve/get rid of the problem I have? Personally, I don't think it will bacause I my computer specs exceed the mimimum requirements to play BIAHH. ONly the cards 128MB RAM is in line with the minimum needed.

Question part2
I have an Autobid on a Nividia 8800GTX 768MB and I'm not telling ya what my max bid is!!!( hee hee) but I'm prepared to go to $NZ150. and a cent or two if needs be.
The beast will JUST fit in the computer case befor it butts up to the hard drive bay.
Will this card get shot of the blues and troubles Iza seein'??
OOOoooorrrrr......................can anyone perhaps recommend a newer card in the $NZ150 that will suit me??
I use the same computer main bits but use W7 for Digital Media (Adobe CS4 Master collection, Premiere Pro etc, and have no probs in there with Frame rates blah blah.
I've played Halo 2, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Crysis and many more games on this computer without any problems,. In fact I played them on a computer I had which only had AMD AThlon 2000+ 1.67GHz CPU, 128MB DDR2 RAM (133), and an ATI Radeon card that only had 64MB RAM on it!!!!!!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Ideas please and thanks in advance.

dugimodo
02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
7300GS is a very low end card for todays games, it's a wonder they run at all.
The cards you list are definately a step in the right direction although they are a little old now as well.

Make sure your power supply is up to the job, high end cards use a lot of power;

EDIT: Mini Rant
LAG is normally used to describe the delay experienced over a network or the internet, it could also be used to describe a delay in response form a mouse or other input device. Poor Framerates and other performance issues with games such as insufficient RAM or slow graphics cards ARE NOT LAG!

gza
02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
cheers dugimodo. I agree with you totally about the step in the right direction with a new card and the ones I mention being a bit old.
I'm going to get a new card, maybe one with HD and BlueRay capabilities. VIVO even!!
Thanks

Battleneter2
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM
I
I have an Autobid on a Nividia 8800GTX 768MB and I'm not telling ya what my max bid is!!!( hee hee) but I'm prepared to go to $NZ150. and a cent or

As above the GF 7300 is a tad woeful
Withdraw my recommendations :P

gza
02-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Added info coz edit a bit late
I have all Call of Duty and Brothers, Battlefield2, Call of Juarez, Aquanox2 Revelations and many other games on this computer(XP Pro SP3) and they play no problem.
PAIN in the Strain :badpc:

gza
02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Cheers BattleNeter2

gza
02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey, I'm going shopping for some tucker (groceries). BBS in 2hrs

gza
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
BattleNeter2,
What were/are your recommendations?
Please

gza
02-12-2010, 03:29 PM
BBS

Battleneter2
02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Well $150 is a tough price bracket, a HD 5770 or a GT250 most would consider a minimum gaming card, but they will set you back around $200 ish, both good at 1600x1200 resolutions or less.

You can spend $150 on disappointment or $200 on something that will last.

maybe someone else can think of a better card, but both those easily beat the 8800gtx

pctek
02-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Today I installed Call of Duty - Black Ops. The lag is a minimal but playable annoyance.

Really? Black Ops online has a known issue with performance.

gza
02-12-2010, 07:39 PM
BattleNeter2, thanks but I wonder...you talking Hong Kong Dollar or what. Here ya go, a lookie at kiwi fruit prices
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?Page=1&parttypeid=0&t=6&fltr=&b=

gza
02-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Fork it. I'll get this one eh
Leadtek nVidia Quadro CX 1.5GB GDDR3 PCI-E

gza
02-12-2010, 07:52 PM
pctek, thanks. I don't play games online. always solo player. Sorry. I forgot to say that in my thread.
Thanks for yer input
Ciao

Battleneter2
02-12-2010, 08:48 PM
BattleNeter2, thanks but I wonder...you talking Hong Kong Dollar or what. Here ya go, a lookie at kiwi fruit prices
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?Page=1&parttypeid=0&t=6&fltr=&b=

Yea what I mean is getting a half decent card around the $150 mark is tough, the lowest card you should touch there would be the GTS450 but that $225

gza
02-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Hey guys n gals, lets just say the problem is related to the Nividia 7300GS 128MB that I am using. Can ya recommend an upgrade? I'm prepared to go to $NZ300, give or take a dollar.

gza
02-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Yea what I mean is getting a half decent card around the $150 mark is tough, the lowest card you should touch there would be the GTS450 but that $225

cheers BattleNeter2. Sorry if I seemed a bit surly :blush:

Agent_24
02-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Black Ops runs fine here on my HD5770

gza
02-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Agent_24. I just been checking out BattleNeter2's pointer to the GTS450 reviews,specs, n prices. Seems to be a nice bit of work. Not looked into the HD5770. Will have a gander in a mo. The GTS450 Is going for $NZ210 at Computer Lounge

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=13769

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=13570

DX11and PhysX
PhysX new terms to me, I came across yesterday when I googling my problem.

I'm getting a new card, end of,......but which one........I know, ya can only suggest. Its caveat emptor at the end of the day

Cheers for your input.

gza
02-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Done. I just ordered and paid for the EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS450 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E.
Cheeky question here, are these PC game manufacturers in cahoots with graphic card makers: where poor sods like me have to buy a new blimmin' card to play the game?
No answers please!!!

Agent_24
02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
You should find that to be much better than your 7300GS!

Hopefully your PSU can handle it though.

gza
02-12-2010, 11:40 PM
You should find that to be much better than your 7300GS!

Hopefully your PSU can handle it though.

Gordon Bennett!!!!! would ya Adam and Eve it!!?!! :banana :banana :banana

Agent_24, so do I!!!!!
If it doesn't well I just guess its gonna hafta be a quantum leap to a 1KW job.

:thumbs:

gza
02-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks Battleneter. Nice pointers. Ta

SolMiester
03-12-2010, 08:46 AM
OP, you missed the most important spec when requesting help (unless I didnt see it), and frankly Im surprised no one asked you....What is the resolution on the monitor you use.
Graphic card memory has increased 3 fold in the last 5 years as LCD screens get bigger and more affordable. Large memory is required to store game map textures for the GPU to draw on the screen and I would imagine that is half the lag issue you are experiencing.

The x800 is like 2 generation older than the current 7xxx series NV card you have. A Quadro card is for graphic rendering, not gaming, however you got it right with the last choice 450. That should be good to 1680x1050

Really, you should look before you leap!

gza
03-12-2010, 08:52 PM
OP, you missed the most important spec when requesting help (unless I didnt see it), and frankly Im surprised no one asked you....What is the resolution on the monitor you use.
Graphic card memory has increased 3 fold in the last 5 years as LCD screens get bigger and more affordable. Large memory is required to store game map textures for the GPU to draw on the screen and I would imagine that is half the lag issue you are experiencing.

The x800 is like 2 generation older than the current 7xxx series NV card you have. A Quadro card is for graphic rendering, not gaming, however you got it right with the last choice 450. That should be good to 1680x1050

Solmeister
I'm using screen resolution of 1280x1024 60MHz refresh rate. I did mention the screen resolution but that was in the post I gave a link to I had submitted to Yahoo Questions. Sorry, I forgat to add it into my thread here.
Also I only have a 17" CRT monitor. To get the best from the new card I have ordered. I really need a LCD or Plasma HD monitor that will have the new card running its full capabilities so it can be seen, I think it.
More money needed to play a game that cost me $119....cor blimey.

gza
03-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Correction, its 1280X1024 60Hz refresh rate, 32 Bit colour depth

Battleneter2
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
OP, you missed the most important spec when requesting help (unless I didnt see it), and frankly Im surprised no one asked you....

gza is clearly in the budget end of the market with a stated budget. I personally didn't bother asking as its a simple case of "best card for the money", knowing the resolution in this situation is pointless.

gza
04-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Well neither the ATI PowerColor Radeon X800GT nor the EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS450 have arrived in post yet. They will. I'm looking forward to using the EVGA and see the difference in the picture quality of the movie editing I'm doing at Tech, also with the games I play.
A Graphics card upgrade was on the cards earlier this year, but I just forgot about getting one. The 7300GS was doing OK.
I did have a 17" Philips 5ms LCD flatscreen a year ago, but some sod nicked it. Left my computer, took the screen. Next year I'll get another one, minimum 24" widescreen, with HDMI etc., $400 to $500, new. Probably in February when I get the $1000 course related costs loan.
Anyway, my XP decided to BSOD 3 successive boots with 3 different STOP errors, after a lot of searching in Safe Mode and getting nowhere, I Gparted the C Drive to extinction and reloaded the lot, lucky I had backed up what was important to me.
While that is updating and I'm loading Apps / games back to it I'm playing about on a MAC I bought last week from a friend who does a lot of movie editing, has been for years. He has G5's and a nice iMAC now.
The one I bought from from him is an eMAC G4, MAC OSX version 10.4.11.
1.25GHz Power PC CPU, 1GB PC2700U-30330 DDR SDRAM. I'm not too sure what the Graphics card is but in the Graphics/Displays section it says its a ATI Radeon 9200.
Its ok, it has many programs on it but the best one is the Final Cut Pro HD 4.5. Very handy.
Not too bad for $NZ80.
I'm wondering, if I make a .DMG file (or two) from the Brothers in Arms - Hells Highway discs and give it a run on the MAC, see how it goes.....just for the experience value.
I'll be back with an update when the new graphics card is installed and running in my PC.