View Full Version : Alternative DNS?

Snorkbox
02-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Interesting story here:-

http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2010/1202.shtml

Thoughts anyone?

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Interesting story, I'm not 100% familiar with the technical workings of DNS so can't really comment, but it sounds like a nice idea in theory. Then you've gotta wonder about implementation, what happens when somebody nasty modifies their copy of DNS etc and then you pull from them ...

Nomad
02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Haven't read the link but Alternative DNS is generally used by people like on business with a laptop. They have their primary DNS at their real office but they may go to another office site and use alternative.

inphinity
02-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Haven't read the link but Alternative DNS is generally used by people like on business with a laptop. They have their primary DNS at their real office but they may go to another office site and use alternative.

The article is more towards a completely separate authoritative DNS system, rather than just a device using alternate DNS servers.

While the concept does have it's advantages - and I have long been surprised it hasn't happened already - there is a lot of work in it, and would require that *most* records be consistant between both DNS structures, else you'll have people using one provider finding that a given domain goes to a very different site than it does for other people.

pine-o-cleen
02-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't get the P2P bit. How would you implement DNS via P2P? Does everyone on the P2P network hold a copy of the DNS database? If so, wouldn't that be quite a large file, like ridiculous large?

Erayd
02-12-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't get the P2P bit. How would you implement DNS via P2P? Does everyone on the P2P network hold a copy of the DNS database? If so, wouldn't that be quite a large file, like ridiculous large?You do it with a DHT-based system. The concept is rather good, but substantially slower than the existing model, and nobody has solved the trust problem yet.

No, you don't need everyone to have a copy of the whole database, just a few pieces of it.

ubergeek85
02-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Don't think that article quite sums up DNS properly. Namely, different domain names can resolve to the same IP, but you can end up on different sites. For example, pcworld.co.nz resolves to 210.48.100.25, yet, depending on how you arrive at that IP, you are given different sites.

Erayd
03-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Don't think that article quite sums up DNS properly. Namely, different domain names can resolve to the same IP, but you can end up on different sites. For example, pcworld.co.nz resolves to 210.48.100.25, yet, depending on how you arrive at that IP, you are given different sites.Not quite - it's nothing to do with how you arrive there, the site shown depends on what your browser sends in the 'host' header as part of the HTTP request. This is why name-based virtual hosts don't (usually) work for HTTPS.

ubergeek85
03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Not quite - it's nothing to do with how you arrive there, the site shown depends on what your browser sends in the 'host' header as part of the HTTP request. This is why name-based virtual hosts don't (usually) work for HTTPS.

Ah :blush: my bad. Live and learn ;)