PDA

View Full Version : Any WAV. Pros out here?

Jerry B
02-12-2010, 04:09 AM
I have over the last three days tried on my own to solve my problem to no avail.
I have some very dear to me WAV files that I created with the Sound Recorder that comes with Windows 95. I am not able to play them now. on my Windows XP Machine. I have had numerous errors depending on the player(WMP, DBPoweramp, Quicktime, Audicity) I try to hear them on.

But most just say unable to play (codec not installed) or similiar. The furthest I got was Audicity was able to tell me how many minutes the files are and bit rate, Sample size, and sample rate which is:
Channels 1 mono
Sample Rate: 8khz
Sample Size 16bit
Bit Rate 8kbps

I have recorded many wav files and all of them play just fine except for 8 or 10 of the real older ones that I recorded in Windows 95.

the files are not corrupt as WMP tries to tell me. I would understand that if it was one or two but all of the older ones only?

in Audicity messing with the settings I can only hear buzzing at different rates depending on the settings but I can't set it to sample rate 8KHZ but it does play buzzing when I view them in RAW but still can't get it right.

I really need these files and I have tried everything in my power and knowledge and even did some digging trying to find out why just the oldest ones won't play.

Yesterday I downloaded 6 or so different players just to see if one of them would play the older files to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Hi Jerry B,

Welcome to PressF1.

Try Goldwave, see if it can open them and re-save them. I've worked with similar kinds of files a bit lately, and Goldwave seems fine with them.

Cheers

Chill.

Jerry B
02-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Ok Tried Gold wave and still getting :
No Codec Is available to encode or decode the audio format or an error occurred during conversion

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2010, 06:59 AM
How big are these files? You could flick me one if you want and I can try opening / converting it?

rob_on_guitar
02-12-2010, 07:08 AM
You could send me a file to try to if you like, I have many tools and could convert them if needed.

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Yeah send one to rob_on_guitar, he'll see you right :)

Trev
02-12-2010, 08:30 AM
You could try a player called VLC from here (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) :)

kahawai chaser
02-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Depending on your recording source, sometimes the "binary" type audio format files (e.g. embedded in text files) can be troublesome to encode. One way is to get a advanced player (as noted above) to hopefully play it and record directly.

rob_on_guitar
02-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Also give audacity a try with the extra add ons for coding etc, its all free, the tend to work mainly in wav