PDA

View Full Version : Remember at school in the 70s

prefect
29-11-2010, 12:16 PM
They said we were going into another ice age.
Then later the earth is heating up

I believe my old biology teacher Mr Bird at Mot High was right on the money.
Always had a soft spot for him he used to pig shoot up the back of Dads farm.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/uk-shivers-in-record-low-temperatures-20101129-18cp4.html

gary67
29-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Maybe you should recall some other lessons. Once the North pole ice cap melts and releases all that fresh water into the North Atlantic, it forces the warmer salt water from the Gulf of Mexico down, in effect switching off the Gulf stream which keeps England warmer than Canada. Canada is on the same latitude as England and so in theory they should have similar temperatures

I wish people would look at the bigger picture and not just the tiny bit that makes the media

Battleneter2
29-11-2010, 02:47 PM
They said we were going into another ice age.
Then later the earth is heating up

I believe my old biology teacher Mr Bird at Mot High was right on the money.
Always had a soft spot for him he used to pig shoot up the back of Dads farm.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/uk-shivers-in-record-low-temperatures-20101129-18cp4.html

Part of the symptoms of global warming is more extreme weather events. Ironically you are posting support for global warming/climate change.

In 1970 there was only 3.7 billion people consuming less than 30% of fossile fuels we consume now. The understanding of the world climate has grown exponentially in the time till now, ie supercomputer climate modeling.

If your saying there was a lack of understanding in the 1970's I would have to agree.

SP8's
29-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Just had news footage on @ noon about the amount of snow falling in England .... most they've had since 1979 .... obviously global warming is not effective in the Motherland .... toodle pip ... :D

SolMiester
29-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Part of the symptoms of global warming is more extreme weather events. Ironically you are posting support for global warming/climate change.

In 1970 there was only 3.7 billion people consuming less than 30% of fossile fuels we consume now. The understanding of the world climate has grown exponentially in the time till now, ie supercomputer climate modeling.

If your saying there was a lack of understanding in the 1970's I would have to agree.

I don't think the scientists with their computer model have it right at all....after all, it is only man made!
In fact, I laugh at their arrogant contempt that they think they can create a computer model to mirror global anything! They cant even find a cure for the common cold ***!

OMG, pressf1 is censoring F F Sake initials...

qazwsxokmijn
29-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I wish people would look at the bigger picture and not just the tiny bit that makes the media
Gary, some people's cranial ability are just so limited. It's pointless to argue into their heads the science behind everything as it goes against their 60s/70s teachers' outdated teachings, self interests etc.

They cant even find a cure for the common cold
Where's the facepalm emoticon when you need it? :groan:

Reminds me of the idiot on NZ Herald a few weeks ago. Moron says climate change scientists are not credible because we can't even accurately predict next Tuesday's weather, let alone the next century's. Seriously, some people need to go back to school and stop drawing conclusions from flawed and/or irrelevant analogies. :groan:

Richard
29-11-2010, 03:45 PM
The '70s??? Hell I still remember the '40s and '50s. No worries about global warming then. Every summer was perfect and the fish bit every time you dangled a cotton line over the side of the rowboat. Footies always went over the goalposts, cricket balls soared to the boundary, Philips and Raleigh cycles were the best you could buy, and even the Lucas dynamo worked.

prefect
29-11-2010, 03:48 PM
and even the Lucas dynamo worked.

A beautiful dynamo.

Gobe1
29-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Those buggers over there need to harden upp

Battleneter2
29-11-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't think the scientists with their computer model have it right at all....after all, it is only man made!
In fact, I laugh at their arrogant contempt that they think they can create a computer model to mirror global anything! They cant even find a cure for the common cold ***!

I don't think they have it "100%" right either. Personally i believe man is haveing a effect, but the million dollar question is to what degree.

Climate change has obviously been a natural cycle for billions of years, but there is real data that shows its more rapid compared to Earth's history.

Its obvious Human population has a direct impact on resource consumption, and yet only a few brave countries like China have been prepared to tackle it.

SolMiester
29-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Gary, some people's cranial ability are just so limited. It's pointless to argue into their heads the science behind everything as it goes against their 60s/70s teachers' outdated teachings, self interests etc.

Where's the facepalm emoticon when you need it? :groan:

Reminds me of the idiot on NZ Herald a few weeks ago. Moron says climate change scientists are not credible because we can't even accurately predict next Tuesday's weather, let alone the next century's. Seriously, some people need to go back to school and stop drawing conclusions from flawed and/or irrelevant analogies. :groan:

Listen kid, when you are as old as me, you can start with the BS about the 60/70's, until then, you need to learn when to pipe up and when not too. AFAIK, most youngsters >25 are just full of their rights and how fcuken clever they are.
The statement about the weather is valid analogies as a shows we do have all the answers!

qazwsxokmijn
29-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Listen kid, when you are as old as me, you can start with the BS about the 60/70's, until then, you need to learn when to pipe up and when not too. AFAIK, most youngsters >25 are just full of their rights and how fcuken clever they are.
I don't need to be from that era to know that not everything taught then is still the case today. We know and understand far greater about the climate, man's impacts on it and how it works now than ever before. In saying that though, we still know relatively very little about the entire dynamics of the system, and that what we know and understand today is still not concrete enough (and therefore should be taken with a grain of salt, instead of dismissed outright and ridiculed).

And just so you know, the cranial thing in my previous comment was not directed at you. ;)

Cicero
29-11-2010, 06:29 PM
The '70s??? Hell I still remember the '40s and '50s. No worries about global warming then. Every summer was perfect and the fish bit every time you dangled a cotton line over the side of the rowboat. Footies always went over the goalposts, cricket balls soared to the boundary, Philips and Raleigh cycles were the best you could buy, and even the Lucas dynamo worked.

No good Richard,try telling that to the young today and they wouldn't believe you.

mikebartnz
29-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't think the scientists with their computer model have it right at all....
GIGO

--Wolf--
29-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Global Warming = myth.

/Thread

Fifthdawn
29-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Having all these theories about the global warming is all fine and great, The **** hits the fan when the scientists decided that can fix it and start messing with the atmosphere.

How many times over the course of human history have we seen fundamental shifts in thinking; the 'discovery' of gravity or that the word is in fact round. The idea that we as a race are beyond being wrong now is laughable. It would be be very interesting to be around in 200 years to see how much our understanding of science and technology has changed.

That being said it is very scary to see how we treat the environment, we would be foolish to pretend that it wont have any consequence on the planet.

prefect
30-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Righto I am not getting my way in this thread please lock it.

Just kidding

rob_on_guitar
30-11-2010, 12:25 PM

I do find that disturbing.

Bozo
30-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Righto I am not getting my way in this thread please lock it.

Just kidding

:lol::lol:

porkster
30-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Its always made me laugh that scientists have predicted a 2.35 degree rise in temperature over the next 30 years, when they can't even get tomorrow's weather right.

What does "30% chance of rain" mean?

pctek
01-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Climate change has obviously been a natural cycle for billions of years, but there is real data that shows its more rapid compared to Earth's history.

Yes.

gary67
01-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Its always made me laugh that scientists have predicted a 2.35 degree rise in temperature over the next 30 years, when they can't even get tomorrow's weather right.

It means 30% of the sky is covered by dark clouds

zqwerty
01-12-2010, 09:04 AM
The larger the spread of time involved the more certain of predictions one can be, the shorter, the less certain, for instance I am 100% certain it will rain in the next year, but only 5% certain it will rain in the next 24 hours.

Surely this is self-evident and common sense.

I have said this before on this forum a number of times, global warming means that there is more energy in the system overall which means that the feed-back loops that control and stabilize the weather systems have to work harder and occasionally lose control thus one gets extreme weather, that is very hot or cold weather in various regions, that is record hot/cold weather where-ever and this is just what is being exhibited, even here in NZ.

Global Warming deniers are poorly informed or idiots/think god is looking after us and all will be ok in the end.

Cicero
01-12-2010, 09:19 AM
The larger the spread of time involved the more certain of predictions one can be, the shorter, the less certain, for instance I am 100% certain it will rain in the next year, but only 5% certain it will rain in the next 24 hours.

I have said this before on this forum a number of times, global warming means that there is more energy in the system overall which means that the feed-back loops that control and stabilize the weather systems have to work harder and occasionally lose control thus one gets extreme weather, that is very hot or cold weather in various regions, that is record hot/cold weather where-ever and this is just what is being exhibited, even here in NZ.

Global Warming deniers are poorly informed or idiots/think god is looking after us and all will be ok in the end.

Love that African tiger!

zqwerty
01-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Cic I have answered your query about the tiger in another thread:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=971575&postcount=25

As for Global Warming:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2010/nov/25/1/print

Cicero
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Cic I have answered your query about the tiger in another thread:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=971575&postcount=25

As for Global Warming:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2010/nov/25/1/print

I saw that b4 I read this.

Not sure what that proves, the guardian bit.?

zqwerty
01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Well I think it is saying that the public, if given the correct information in an accessible way, will come to the same conclusions as the scientists because they have enough innate intelligence to do that, personally I doubt it.

R2x1
01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by porkster

It means "Don't bet on it", not either way.
Weather forecasts tend to make Lotto look like a sure thing.

SolMiester
01-12-2010, 10:25 AM

LMAO...do you mean Climate Change, everyone knows Global Warming has been happening since year dot!

Snorkbox
01-12-2010, 10:30 AM
One thing I do know. Taxing Climate change or Global warming will not stop it even if it is happening.

Raising tax on Alcohol or Cigarettes has not stopped people drinking or smoking. It just makes it less affordable.

Cicero
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
One thing I do know. Taxing Climate change or Global warming will not stop it even if it is happening.

Raising tax on Alcohol or Cigarettes has not stopped people drinking or smoking. It just makes it less affordable.

If you check on our pollution,then compare with China, the tax we pay is laughable.

What is more, on the one hand they tax us and the other we send coal to China to add insult to injury.

zqwerty
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
No I mean Global Warming, the increase in heat energy caused by human activity and all the attendant losses which have to be absorbed by Planet Earth and its local systems because there is no-where else for it to go and has never been present in the equation before because there has never been so many of us on the surface monkeying around.

There are more of us alive in real time now than have ever existed and died in all time before 1950.

You do realize that all activity results in losses which finally come out as heat and that heat cannot disappear it has to go somewhere.

Cic what about all the coal we are sending to the rest of the world to burn but we don't use ourselves to preserve our precious 'green' status, what hypocrisy, long train wagonloads go rumbling out of Christchurch to Littleton everyday, well at least that's reduced a bit for a while.

prefect
01-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Northern Europe is covered in global warming at the moment.
Ask them if they believe in global warming now.
Poor kippers.

zqwerty
01-12-2010, 01:07 PM
You're just not getting it prefect and you are a technical man, quite worrying really, but since you're feeling extra strong and complacent why not try reading this all the way through:

http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=3903904&sponsor=

The american right wing propaganda and disinformation is really permeating NZ, in the rest of the world no-one seriously doubts global warming.

Gobe1
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
BUT they always say "this is the worst flood (whatever event) since 1880 (whatever date)" so you are saying we had global warming then too?

prefect
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM
You're just not getting it prefect and you are a technical man, quite worrying really, but since you're feeling extra strong and complacent why not try reading this all the way through:

http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=3903904&sponsor=

The american right wing propaganda and disinformation is really permeating NZ, in the rest of the world no-one seriously doubts global warming.

I just dont believe in it thats all. My simple theory and its my theory alone is that there are so many carbon atoms in the world, like you cant make a carbon atom.
At other times in the worlds history all these carbon atoms would have been loafing above the surface as plants or in the air.
All we have done is bring some stored carbon back into circulation its not the end of the world and the world is not heating its actualy cooling as we go into another iceage.
I note your bit on the feedback loop auto pilots I have worked on have a feedback loop that nulls the servo once its moved.
I dont insult people with different views as is the norm here but I am fixed in my beliefs and thats that.

SolMiester
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I just dont believe in it thats all. My simple theory and its my theory alone is that there are so many carbon atoms in the world, like you cant make a carbon atom.
At other times in the worlds history all these carbon atoms would have been loafing above the surface as plants or in the air.
All we have done is bring some stored carbon back into circulation its not the end of the world and the world is not heating its actualy cooling as we go into another iceage.
I note your bit on the feedback loop auto pilots I have worked on have a feedback loop that nulls the servo once its moved.
I dont insult people with different views as is the norm here but I am fixed in my beliefs and thats that.

+1......In the 70's we were heading for the next ice age, now its record warming levels, yet Europe is covered in snow.....Its crap, the scientists change their mind every decade as they realise their prior convictions are BS!

I read a comment somewhere that ETS should be like insurance, your choice...wonder how many would buy into it?!...not many I bet!

Gobe1
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
The ETS would be fine if you knew the money was being spent on developing cars that run on water, or better solar technology, or something but we will never know what they are spending it on. That is my main gripe.

DeSade
01-12-2010, 03:07 PM

+2