PDA

View Full Version : Linux - two problems

18-09-2001, 09:50 PM
I run Suse 7.00 linux on an AMD K6 2 500 on a jetway m/board. The system runs nicely but:
1. The graphic logon screen stops the mouse working - it workds fine on any GUI provided I use text logon, but locks in centre screen if I use the grpahical logon. This applies to all GUI/ window manager combinations.
2. Staroffice 5.2 doesn't recognise the WIndows drives. Everything else does but Staroffice says it isn't valid.

Any ideas about these quirks? Apart from these it works great and it doesn't fall over - at all.

19-09-2001, 12:32 AM
I still haven't had it crash on me yet, in the 2+ years i've been running it.

The other thing I appreciate is not having to restart all the time, eg installing programs, changing network setting etc.

Anyway back to your question.
I'm not familar with SUSE (mandrake, debian and slackware myself).

What login manager are you using, eg KDM (KDE style), GDM (gnome style), XDM.

Also have a look at the log for it (i'm in windows currently so the path won't be perfect)

/var/log/XFree86.0.log

or XFree86.1.log etc, which ever is most recent.

19-09-2001, 07:59 PM
bm has answered your former question. As for the latter, we need more information.

If other programs are able to access the partition, then it is obviously mounted. Can you tell us what command you used to mount it? Or, if it is in your /etc/fstab, then post a copy of that file. On what mount point is StarOffice attempting to access it? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with StarOffice, so it might well be a glitch with that particular piece of software.

20-09-2001, 05:53 PM
The mouse problem affects all of the login styles. Each and every one of them freezes eh mouse centre screen. If I revert to text login without altering anything else the mouse works fine in whatever GUI I choose to use. GPM on or off makes no difference either.
What should i look for in var/log/Xfree98.log? Does it apply only to the current boot?
THanks for your interest.
John

24-09-2001, 06:17 PM
The graphic login is not 'freezing' the mouse. The Cursor at the centre of the screen indicates that the GUI login can not *find* the mouse.
It may look at /dev/mouse (which is *always* a link to the actual /dev/whatever), while other software is using the actual /dev/xxx; or the other way round. There will be a configuration utility which will help make sure the mouse is set up properly.
Try:

strings -5 `locate xlogin` | grep \/dev\/

I am guessing that it is called 'xlogin'; correct me it I'm wrong.