PDA

View Full Version : the word "if" appears randomly

mark c
28-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Hi this is on a friend's comp. The word "if" appears here and there on the screen. Happens in both Word and emails. And sometimes when she deletes it she looses other text as well, she is now saving then deleting the word. I"ve googled it with if "computer problem" and if "computer virus" and can't find anything. She used to have some voice recognition software but has since removed it (using "add/remove programs") and thinks it might be something to do with that. I don't know. Seems to me like a bit of digital vandalism, doesn't do much but v irritating.
Any ideas much appreciated. She has updated and run Nod32, no change. Running Vista.
Cheers, Mark

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2010, 07:23 PM
What speech recognition software was installed? Since Vista's one doesnt appear in add/remove programs (its part of Vista)

SP8's
28-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Sounds a bit iffy to me ...:D

SP8's
28-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Is your friend using any other anti spyware / malware programs apart from NOD32 ??

Might pay to try downloading and running Spybot and Malwarebytes just in case it is something on there that shouldn't be. Superantispyware is another one that is pretty good. With spybot ... don't use Teatimer because it can bog things down and conflict with other antivirus.

wainuitech
28-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Just a guess /tab in the dark, but if its in word and emails -- you haven't got Auto text turned on or set have you ?

mark c
28-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Great and thanks v much. Don't know about Auto text but will find out. Don't know about other protective progs she has, I haven't had a good look at her comp yet but will. I will check out what the voice recog software was. She's no dumbo but like most comp users not a geek. Just expects the product she buys to work LOL. Thanks for your responses and I will follow it all up and get back to you but won't b 2moro.
Cheers _ M
PS I have great faith in Spybot, CCleaner and Malwarebytes too and will give them a go, thanks.