PDA

View Full Version : access ibm partition

bot
27-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi,

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 laptop, and the hard drive is not working. Would it be possible to somehow put the access ibm partition onto a new hard drive and install windows from there? The reason I want to do this is to install windows from the partition, rather than using my windows xp disk, which does not accept the product key on the laptop. I do have a hard drive from an old R40, but the two laptops are significantly different.

wainuitech
27-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Can you please clear up something from your post:
I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 laptop, and the hard drive is not working. Would it be possible to somehow put the access ibm partition onto a new hard drive and install windows from there? Not working in What Way ?

If the drive wont spin up then not much you can do.

If the product key wont accept, it could be because the KEY is OEM and you have a retail CD. OR as I've seen in some cases, the original OS & key, if XP, may be pre SP1 or even SP1 and the CD is either SP2 or SP3 -- the older keys sometimes wont work on a newer version epically when the COA is a name Brand, Eg IBM.

Nomad
27-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Even if you could, it can be v difficult to get working if not impossible. Due to a totally diff hardware, it would crash big time.

Yeah .. IBM does not usually provide recovery DVDs/CDs .. possible but it cost ya. But then again even if you had them they are locked to your hardware, so it won't install on another Thinkpad.

I been using them for 10+ yrs. My 4th of 5 laptops. All used :)

Agent_24
28-11-2010, 01:28 AM
If the hard drive is broken then you aren't going to be able to copy the recovery partition to another drive (even though that plan would probably work, if the original drive was working)

If the hard drive you describe as not working is not completely dead, it may be possible to recover some information from it. However, it may not be possible to recover all the data and then the recovery partition would probably fail to work properly anyway.

bot
28-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Not working in What Way ?

When the laptop is turned on, the hard drive makes a clicking noise. Then a minute later on the screen it says "Disk 0 Failure" or something like that.

wainuitech
28-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Forget it -- Its toast more than likely -- Sounds ( no pun intended) you got the click of Death :crying

Agent_24
28-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah it sounds like you'll just have to buy a new drive and reinstall Windows from CD

bot
28-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Bummer.:crying

Agent_24
28-11-2010, 04:40 PM
If the product key doesn't work there are ways to get around that.

Considering you have paid for the key you might as well get a working copy of Windows, even if not officially.

That's what I would do, anyway.

bot
28-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I have a friend who has a disc... May just have to bite the bullet and install from the disc.

Agent_24
28-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Then just download any drivers you need from IBM's website.

wainuitech
28-11-2010, 05:25 PM
To quote myself from post 2 :D

If the product key wont accept, it could be because the KEY is OEM and you have a retail CD. OR as I've seen in some cases, the original OS & key, if XP, may be pre SP1 or even SP1 and the CD is either SP2 or SP3 -- the older keys sometimes wont work on a newer version epically when the COA is a name Brand Seen this happen plenty of times, thats why many techs have all versions of XP from - Pre SP1 to SP3.

Only pain, is you have to then install all the service packs if you want it upto date.