PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendation required.

JJJJJ
27-11-2010, 08:49 AM
I am planning on giving SSD another chance. I had an early model Corsair,and was not impressed with it.
What is the fastest SSD available now? About 300 gb.

Also what is the difference between a 2.5 and a 3.5? Apart from the sze of course.

Thanks,

Jack

gary67
27-11-2010, 08:56 AM
2.5 is the laptop hard drive size (fits in a floppy drive bay)

3.5 is standard desktop hard drive size

unfortunately don't know what is a good SSD as can't afford one

Mr_Olympia
27-11-2010, 03:34 PM
youre probably better off buying two 120gb ssd drives and running them raid 0, seeing how you have money to burn. lol. i.e two OCZ Agility drives.(anything with Sandforce controllers) Hitachi supposed to be making UltraStars soon, 350mb/s transfer rates. Sandforce anywhere 200-300ish

Battleneter2
27-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Why do you think you need such a large SSD?, its common to use SSD as the OS drive and maybe a few apps or games you use frequently, and have a second large conventional hard drive for mass storage.

BBCmicro
27-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I researched SSDs in April and decided 'Intel'. Did the same in September and got the same result. (But it does depend on what activities are important ie, large file transfers, multiple short files, etc.)

So here's my choice: Intel X-25M, 34nm, 80 GB, about $400

Back in March I restricted my current standard drive to 80 GB to see if that size would be suitable when I eventually go to SSD. It's been perfectly satisfactory

inphinity
27-11-2010, 10:17 PM
SSDs are pretty much all 2.5" formfactor. Personally, I'd go for an OCZ Agility 2, OCZ Vertex 2, or Corsair Force series. Reasonable value, and phenomenal performance.

JJJJJ
27-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Why do you think you need such a large SSD?, its common to use SSD as the OS drive and maybe a few apps or games you use frequently, and have a second large conventional hard drive for mass storage.

My computer is used almost exclusively for MS Flight Simulator.At present I have a 500 gig drive partitioned to 2 x 250. This is about twice what I will ever use. So I don't need a storage disk.That's why I'm looking for about 300 gb to split in two.
Just as a point of interest, when I bought this computer it had 3.5 tb of disk space.

SolMiester
29-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Here is a link to Anand's bench results for SSD's...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65

DeSade
29-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I use a Intel 80Gb X-25 but I am finding it a little small.
Nothing is installed to C: except what C: needs and I have even moved the My Docs area to another drive yet I am still hitting 65gb +

JJJJJ
30-11-2010, 11:12 AM
After reading all replies I have just ordered an OCZ Collussus 250 gig SSD and as per usual I have more questions.:banana

Can I transfer my o/s (win 7) by drag and drop or copy and paste. Or do I have to do a reinstall?
If I can copy it, will it bring over the registry?

I intend partitioning the SSD 150 gb for C: and 100 for D:

BTW I have a 2 TB and 2 500 GB disks (unused) sitting here if anyone is interested PM me. :spam

Jack

Snorkbox
30-11-2010, 11:18 AM
A drag and drop of your O/S will not work. You either reinstall or make an Image. You can make an image using Win or use third party software like Acronis, Ghost or the like.

Type Backup in the search box then on the left you can choose to do a system image. You can use DVDs or another hard drive.

SolMiester
30-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I dont recommend image restore, the SSD will need an install to align it correctly.....

Storage system performance is dependent on many factors, one of which is a properly aligned partitioning scheme. Misaligned partitions cause a significant reduction in the I/O performance of a disk drive through redundant read/write operations and a subsequent reduction in an SSD lifespan by as much as one-third. The introduction of 4K sectors in the latest disk drives creates even more alignment problems for a large proportion of IT administrators. Implementation of enterprise virtual environments and the use of different RAID technologies are also susceptible to misalignment. In most cases, a mismatch between actual physical and logical representations of data causes a significant decay in overall system performance and hardware longevity.

You will also need to ensure BIOS settings for Trim to work........

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/1

Bobh
30-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Paragon Migrate OS to SSD costing $(US)19.95 might do the job.

It came free with Paragon Harddisk Manager till 28 Nov 10. I recently downloaded it but I have yet to try it.

SolMiester
30-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Paragon Migrate OS to SSD costing $(US)19.95 might do the job.

It came free with Paragon Harddisk Manager till 28 Nov 10. I recently downloaded it but I have yet to try it.

Wonder if it does alignment?

Bobh
30-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Details of Paragon Migrate OS to SSD are found here. You will find a list at the bottom of the page which includes alignment.

http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/index.html