PDA

View Full Version : Help Please...Lost Windows Installer

ruup
26-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Help Please...Lost Windows Installer

Running Windows 7 64 bit.Windows will not allow me to instal anything.:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Whats the error? Are you admin? I dont think you can lose it. Since its part of windows

pctek
26-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Disable UAC

wainuitech
26-11-2010, 10:00 PM
See if this works:

Click Start in the Search Box type Services.msc , click it in the results to open. Look for the service titled Windows Installer and make sure that it has not been disabled. It should be set to manual.

If that doesn't work or is set to manual,Open a CMD Prompt/ Or the start Box, and type msiexec /unreg < Press enter> or click it. Wait for around 15 seconds and then type msiexec /regserver. < Press enter> or click it

Now try installing something.

If you get any error messages , what are they?

Failing that, click start, type in CMD, right click run as administrator - type in sfc /scannow <Press Enter> Let it run.

ruup
26-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi all thanks for your input.I have tried the suggestions but to no avail,I have a computer the seems destined to give me grief.I had a problem a month or so back that was diagonsed as faulty ram.I replaced some ram and then had problems reinstalling an operating system (Vista).We overcame that and then installed 7,the computer has limped along untill I bought and installed a sound card (had it fitted professionally)(Asus).It has become very unstable and this is the latest manifestation.I wanted to reinstall Windows but I keep getting DSOD.The guy who installed the card (same one who said I had faulty ram) now says that my motherboard is stuffed.

Wish I had never bought this thing...

"Window resource protection did not find any integrity voilations"

I'm stumped,can't install anything,can't reinstall windows ... what a joke,spent a fortune on a computer so that I wouldn't have any problems...ha ha!

:help:

wainuitech
26-11-2010, 10:56 PM
When you say you had a problem with Vista, then installed Windows 7, was W7 an upgrade from Vista, OR a fresh install ?

The guy who installed the card (same one who said I had faulty ram) now says that my motherboard is stuffed.
First thought --- He doesn't really know, hes guessing.

Try this - Click start, type in Reli, click on "View Reliability history" - when it opens, there will be a graph, with Red circles with a white X and several others. Where the installer has failed, there should be one of them (red circle) click it, below will say what happened (or didn't) have a look and see if there is the wording "Technical Details, OR "Check for a Solution" Open them and see what they say.

Hope fully it wont be one of MS's silly " windows stopped working messages.

Also click start, type in event open event Viewer / Windows Logs /Application, look for errors when trying to install something, click it to open - what does it say in both General & Details ?

One other question -- When you try to install something, what actually happens - Does the installer try to run or nothing at all happen?

Edited: Some other things to try (http://www.blogsdna.com/2137/fix-windows-installer-explorer-update-has-stopped-working-in-windows-7.htm)

ruup
27-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi Wainuitech,

It strikes me as there are two issues (may be more) here and that one is the direct result of larger underlying fault.Normally when I get into a fix like this I format and start again.When I had XP I reinstalled it so many times I eventually had to ring Microsoft every time to get the confirmation code.

The BSOD when I try to install Windows 7 update is the main issue here I think.If I were able to format and start again,I would do so and be on my bike.

Anyway the installer tries to install,but fails and brings up a dialogue box which request that I give it the correct path for a particular piece of software (different each time)

The original problem started about here:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=112964

I have tried the suggestions Wainutech and although they show up interesting bits I'm not clever enough to know what they mean.

My computer originally had Vista and I upgraded with 7 upgrade.

What does a good motherboard cost and to have it installed? I still like Asus inspite of the trauma,but SWMBO is giving me a lot of side way looks with raised eyebrows...

wainuitech
27-11-2010, 09:21 AM
The error messages can be a little confusing sometimes.

Are you able to post any back here - esp the ones that may look like a lot of garbage --- Dont worry if you cant understand or make head nor tail of them, sometimes we these these all the time.

Re a New Motherboard: I wouldn't be to quick to jump into buying one yet - several reasons -- It may be fine just a screwed up OS.

One other problem is that board takes DDR2 Memory, most of the newer ones take DDR3 - being socket 775 as well, they are being phased out as well and the selection is not as good as it used to be. Lots of the ATX boards have now gone - most are M-ATX

How old is the Motherboard ? Asus have a 3 year warranty.

One thing that comes to mind is the Actual OS - if you had Vista, and it was playing up, installing windows 7 over the top/upgrading will NOT fix problems.
Often doing upgrades opens a can of worms so to speak.

A fresh install is always better as you mentioned. Problem being if you have an upgrade DVD there are a few "tricks" to allow you to do it without having an older install in place.

Just curious: What part of the country are you in -- it may pay to take it to someone who does know what they are doing.

Reason for saying that is from the so called professional -- it does sound to me as if hes guessing at the problem ???

Who is the "professional" ? only if you want to --- PM me if you dont want to put them on a public forum.

Speedy Gonzales
27-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Where in NZ are you then?? Maybe someone can install / fix it for you

It maybe a faulty ram stick. Like this thread (http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1177739.htm). Same stop error 0X000007E

ruup
27-11-2010, 10:46 AM
The computer is just on two years old,so far I have replaced a 1.5 tb hard drive a video card and a 2 gb stick of ram all under warranty.Unfortunately the computer was bought in Auckland and as I live in Palmerston North the cost of freight (the case is huge & heavy) to and from Auckland is high.When I had my last issue,I contacted the seller and he said that although the motherboard was still under warranty I would have to pay for the cost of removal and the installation of a new one,which I guess is far enough?

I work in the motor industry and I can't understand why if I have a faulty part I can't take it to the local agent for attention.Imagine if you bought a new car and you could only take it to where you bought it...If your gearbox blows up you don't pay for the labour to fit it.

SWMBO wants me to sell it and cut my losses and buy an off the shelf cheapie that just WORKS!...I must admit that idea is becoming more attractive by the day.

I would be interested in any tricks to install Windows 7,incidently all the software is bought and paid for.

feersumendjinn
27-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Take (or courier) it to Wainuitech, he's only about two hrs drive from you.