PDA

View Full Version : Xnet or orcon?

8ftmetalhaed
26-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Following up on my which ISP thread, I'm down to xnet or orcon.
Looking at some reviews, Xnet seems to have iffy international rates at times, and talking to their customer service rep getting a connection taken over from the previous tenants (if they leave it behind) is going to be difficult or incredibly expensive.
But on the plus side, they offer naked DSL with the option of VOIP. But on the downside VOIP adapters are $100 or so.

They don't have any connection fees or contracts though, which is what I'm after, and the option of not using the internet so much and being able to pay the same or less than what we do now is a very nice idea.

As for orcon, they also sound attractive. Just more expensive, with no naked DSL option (turns out I'm 4 streets out of the unbundled area. :crying) and 30gb of data for $107 a month.

So yeah, given the rise in rent by $50, an extra $20 or more in broadband would hit rather hard in the already empty pockets, unless it was REALLY worth it.

So, again, TL DR, orcon or Xnet?:help:

DeSade
26-11-2010, 11:47 AM
+1 for Orcon, great service and very few problems.

Agent_24
26-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Maybe just pick the cheapest one and hope you don't get problems?

Then again half the time I ring Telecom the person I talk to is pretty unhelpful (putting it nicely)

I usually just call again, and most of the time you get someone who actually helps you on the 2nd try.

8ftmetalhaed
26-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Well fortunately neither have contracts, so I could try xnet then hop ship if they turn out to be terrible. I think it'll just getting connected first that'll be the issue. And if that happens I'll end up internet free for about 2-3 weeks at worst.

Cellux
26-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm another one for Orcon.

Best customer support I've used.

My experience with XNET (Living in Masterton) the speeds are very, very slow in comparison to every other provider. Very disappointing.

nedkelly
26-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Im going to buck the trend and say go with xnet. I am with them and love it.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Xnet's normal BB is slow at night. Dont know about their VOIP plan tho. Never used it. Probably never will now that I'm changing ISP

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Avoid Xnet like the plague ....

WarNox
26-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I've been with Orcon for a few years now and haven't had too many problems.

The only thing that has screwed up has been their modem but they send you a new one for $10 (shipping). Oh and recently one of the lines out on the road snapped so the phones stopped working but Chorus fixed that within a day.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2010, 04:24 PM
The only good thing about xnet were the data free downloads from akaimai servers, and gameplanet. Too bad I couldnt stay long enough on the Xbox with it :p

I spose its better than Telstra's unmetered offerings. Most of them, I've never heard of (except trademe, which I dont use), and will never use :lol: If Telstra are just as bad, they'll be next :p

DeSade
26-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Just as a + for Orcon, they do not include iSKy or TV OnDemand as part of your data cap.

Nyuuji
26-11-2010, 04:43 PM
:clap +1 for Orcon. I used to be with Xnet a few years ago when their speeds were really good, but something changed (new plans?) and speeds started to continually suffer.

Changed to Orcon and have been really happy with them for about two years now. (on ADSL2+, usually get around 17ms ping with 18~20megabits):banana

PPp
26-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I have been with both.
Xnet ++=great plans only pay for what you get voip phone not expensive
--=terrible support ,robotic, without ears for the most part, scared shi#less of anything to do with line quality, poor speed and getting worse over time.
Orcon ++=Reasonable human beings on support, good speed, a "real" phone
--=costs more, web site is a real maze.
I am semi rural and don't get great speed so can't pot xnet for unusable voip, but Orcon has a noticeably quicker net speed and has recently upgraded us even a bit faster with a higher data allowance.

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2010, 05:54 PM
:clap +1 for Orcon. I used to be with Xnet a few years ago when their speeds were really good, but something changed (new plans?) and speeds started to continually suffer.

That would be the introduction of their "Torrent" plans a few years back now...

Netsukeninja
26-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Orcon are ok, initially had major connection problems (connected the wrong address!) But their billing seems to be a bit weird for me, receiving bills for -$ amounts and then claiming I was overdue :\

PPp
26-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Similar experience! Must have tried billing me at previous email addy. Emailed me at Orcon addy threatening disconnection unless paid immediately. Phone bills are clumped together somehow? Makes no sense to me.

Mr_Olympia
26-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Netsukeninja is right i had MAJOR connection issues, HUMUNGUS it tooke over a month for them to sort it out, and get this, i told them to can it 3 TIMEs, that i was switching to another provider, and lord behold, i get home and the techie has alredy set it up. Legend. horrible, Horrible, HORRIBLE support. Unless youre not a very experienced user. If you call, and a foreigner answrs HANG UP!!!Immediately, and try and get one of their normal speaking new zealanders who can, and actualy do, avery god job. SOME OF THE Highest DOwnload speeds. The local download rates here in hawera a waaayy off the mark but, the download speeds with these people are the best ive had. And there bills are out of wack. dont make a lick of sense. and not very lenient if you fall behind, whiich if you do CALL IMMEDIATELY, and they should give you an extension.
They are good, they are pricey. They are there for your money. Get what you pay for.

XNET very robotic, averagy at best download speeds. Torrent is good, calling plans are not bad, very lenioent with bill playing. Pay for what you use is also good.
They are average, they are there to help. Get what you pay for

pctek
26-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Xnet.

linw
26-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Xnet.

Must have changed since I gave them the heave.