PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!Can't Partition My Drive

Mr_Olympia
25-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi ive tried everything i can at the moment to partition my drive, ive tried extending it, shrinking it, partitioning with Easus Home, Disc Mgmt, Minitool Partition AND GParted. Everytime i try to acces it within windows i get disk view not uptodate errors, i can create a partition if i use windows install dvd, but after i reboot the partition is gone. Ive recently installed windows after a major Boot loader error and i was unable to install windows oonto this disk, so i installed on one of my western digital drives, that died not too long ago and im forced to use this disk (1tb Seagate Barracuda) Even the seatools (acronis) disc utilities won't allow me to partition the drive, i think it is partitioned to MBR? i had to do this as GPT wouldnnt let me installl windows.

I need help. P.S ive wiped the drive multiple times over now, could it be a firmware issue? i dont have enough hard drive space to backup, as i have 600gb full of documents, and 1 tb alredy lost. cheers

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Whats the brand/model of the mobo? And what version of windows did you install? You would only use GPT if the hdd was over 2 GB wouldnt you?? If its a pretty recent mobo, you should be able to format / partition from within the windows install. I wouldnt use too many partitioning programs. You'll probably stuff it up sooner or later

Mr_Olympia
25-11-2010, 05:47 PM
jeeezus mr speeed very knowledgable person you are, heard a few good answers from you, hopefully you can help me aswell, Windows 7 Ultimate fully updated, Gigabyte P55A UD5, You would unless everything else fails, then you try the unexplored. Unable to partition from with windows. It seems to me that its pretty well messed up. Im going on holiday within the next few weeks, so funds are all tied into that for the time being. After that then i will backup to a new hard drive, and wipe that drive. Also this drive was originally one of my raid drives. Hence the windows would not install due to being a unsoported volume:rolleyes: that was pobably where the drive got all messed up.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2010, 06:08 PM
When you say you couldn't install Win7 on this hdd, did it get to the install screen?

I know Bitlocker (the 100mb partition Ultimate creates in the install screen), can cause probs with some systems.

One computer I installed Ultimate on, I could get to the install screen, then format the hdd, BUT after it rebooted the first time, it wouldnt do anything (I couldnt install Win7, it hung after rebooting). (I would say because of the 100 mb partition Win7 creates for Bitlocker - I think it tries to boot off this partition after the 1st reboot. It cant, because there's nothing on it).

The only way I could fix this. Create bigger partitions so, setup can't create the 100 mb partition (for Bitlocker).

Also, another problem I came across. Dont partition all of the hdd in the install screen. I did that once, once Win7 had been installed, I couldnt format all of the remaining partitions, in disk management.

Unless I made the hdd dynamic. Bad idea. Because, if you do this, you wont be able to install anything else on the (other partitions). The only partition you'll have is the one with the OS on it

Mr_Olympia
25-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Yes, it would get to the install screen but then it said that i couldn't install to this disk, it was only after i removed every other drive, then put it into the number 0 sata port it would force an install/format to this disk. It was a Dynamic (for raid) then i had to format it, and it was forced to be a basic disk. the bitlocker drive is there, and the os, but i can't modify/ create on the disk

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Umm if its in RAID now, I take it 2 hdds were connected at the time (you were trying to install Win7)? Have you got the RAID drivers?? I know Win7 has SATA drivers on the DVD, but I'm not too sure if it has RAID drivers (since I dont use RAID)

Mr_Olympia
25-11-2010, 07:19 PM
nah, did a clean install this time, one of the hard drive failed, so i kept one and am installing it on that drive. Drivers worked auto for windows 7 raid 5 function, have disk aswell, but this is a single disk, freshly formated, install.

Agent_24
25-11-2010, 07:27 PM
You don't need GPT until you want to use a drive over 2TB.

Mr_Olympia
25-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm Aware i don't 'need' GPT, but i dont know how to fix my disk.

Agent_24
25-11-2010, 08:17 PM
When you say you wiped the drive, how did you do it?

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Are you in NZ?? If you are, where? Maybe someone can help you out,if you are

berryb
25-11-2010, 09:52 PM
When doing the Win7 install did you delete the partition and re create it or just format it. Since this drive was set up in Raid and dynamic I would have deleted the partition re created it. Gets rid of any previous configurations.

Mr_Olympia
26-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Yep, im In NZ. The PC Dudes down here want $40 PER haLF AN HOUR, to ASSESS, and then the price climbs up from there. Might aswell buy two Harddrives after he has a look at it. When i say wiped, i mean it was set up as my main program files/documents/heavily accessed files raid drive a long with another. after my main two hard drives failed, i swapped over my files to my other drive deleted all partitions off this drive, formatted it over and over, Three Times? NTFS, MBR. then installed/try to install windows, failed, deleted all partitions( i tried to extend the first partition and shrink the last and copy my files, but it ended up deleting all my files anyway. soo.... deleted partitions, converted the disk from dynamic to basic, still had problems, ripped out all my drivesforced the install onto the drive. I know i can fix it by wipping it and starting all over, but..i dont have money for a drive for a month or two.
Oh well. looks like thats all i can do.

Anyways, was wondering i was looking at doing two Spinpoint f3 drives in raid 0 $120, instead of forking out for a SSD.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Down here as in where? Sth Island?

Agent_24
26-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Wonder if it's some BIOS bug or something?

Mr_Olympia
27-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Possibly, have the same mobo brand (Gigabyte) had a USB3 P55 gave me the same grief. Cheers for your help anyway