PDA

View Full Version : Pike River Latest. All Miners Dead.

Trev
24-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10689739) Latest explosion kills all 29.
:(

KarameaDave
24-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Damn. :(

qazwsxokmijn
24-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't know about you, but I still want to have a little bit of optimism....if two miners survived the initial explosion, the remaining 29 could have survived the second.

wainuitech
24-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Just watching it on TV- 5.20PM -- apparently NOW they have just sent the rescue crew in to recover the bodies after the second blast since its apparently the safest time, right after the explosion.

Trev
24-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Should of done in the first place.

Bozo
24-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Just confirmed now, still no rescuers sent in after all.

Metla
24-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Dark days.

My condolences to the families.

wainuitech
24-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Just confirmed now, still no rescuers sent in after all. Was just going to put that, saw it on TV - media got it wrong before.

RIP guys.

Bozo
24-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Very dark days indeed.

Sincere condolences to all families involved.

PinoyKiw
24-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I myself have had training in confined spaces rescue. You can be exposed to C02 NO2 and other gases and fire. Methane add's to the risk.

There is always hope that there is a airpocket somewhere and that the some/all of the miners are there but now that there has been a second explosion, things don't look so good.

--Wolf--
24-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Oh wow, we still have mining/rescue experts.

Did you miss the part where there was a second explosion? Let me put that into perspective.

First explosion > Rescuers go in > Second explosion

Do you see the dilemma? If not, let me add a fourth option

> Even more dead

Idiot.

goodiesguy
24-11-2010, 08:31 PM
At least they would die a hero (the rescuers)

John H
24-11-2010, 08:51 PM
At least they would die a hero (the rescuers)

Stop embarrassing yourself with your Boy's Own Annual sentimental shluck. In what way would that have helped their families, or the families of the miners?

Good grief, I thought this hero crap was exposed for what it really is during WWI.

John H
24-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Dark days.

My condolences to the families.

Indeed. They are going to need a lot of support.

Both my wife's family and my own were miners in Britain prior to migration here - fortunately the men in both families worked in iron mines rather than coal.

I am very grateful that both families chose to get away from places where mining was about the only available occupation for working class men in those days.

wmoore
24-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Oh wow, we still have mining/rescue experts.

Did you miss the part where there was a second explosion? Let me put that into perspective.

First explosion > Rescuers go in > Second explosion

Do you see the dilemma? If not, let me add a fourth option

> Even more dead

Idiot.

There are those who believe that if the Army had gone in within 90 mins
of the first blast there might of been a chance to get them out.
Remember even experts sometimes don't agree with each other.

Any way

RIP.

jareemon
24-11-2010, 09:35 PM
very sad.

I just heard one of the miners (a 17 year old) is an old friend's son :(

I'm shocked at the ones on this forum, that, even after learning all the miners are dead, still choose to argue with each other.
It's disrespectful. Oftentimes when someone dies, people will have a moment of silence, instead there are people here that just argue.

Does anyone know if a fund has been / is being set up for the relatives of the miners?

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2010, 09:48 PM
will be (http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/miners-fund-set-up-in-greymouth-3912513)

roddy_boy
24-11-2010, 10:18 PM

How on earth were they supposed to get a team assembled and in the mine within 90 minutes of the initial blast? It would have taken them longer than that to drive there.

jareemon
25-11-2010, 08:01 AM
How on earth were they supposed to get a team assembled and in the mine within 90 minutes of the initial blast? It would have taken them longer than that to drive there.
Helicopter maybe?

gary67
25-11-2010, 08:18 AM

Exactly, for those who don't know the coast it would have been just about impossible. It would have taken longer to assemble the soldiers and fly them there with al the kit that would be needed.

And for Goodyguy there are no living hero's you don't become a hero if you survive

Cicero
25-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Exactly, for those who don't know the coast it would have been just about impossible. It would have taken longer to assemble the soldiers and fly them there with al the kit that would be needed.

And for Goodyguy there are no living hero's you don't become a hero if you survive

Thought that maori VC holder was a hero.?

Myth
25-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't know about you, but I still want to have a little bit of optimism....if two miners survived the initial explosion, the remaining 29 could have survived the second.Right from the start there was too much co-incidence going on for anyone else to survive. Too many guys happened to be off that day, then the 2 who walked out. But that was just my gut feeling about it all. I would have loved for them all to have gotten out.

My family also has a past in coal mining - Nightcaps/Ohai and chances are the miner from Wairio was known to family as well (I remember as a kid spending time with my grand-uncle at his place in Wairio).

To all the families - my condolences. And may they R.I.P.

Lets hope they still recover the bodies

Marnie
25-11-2010, 08:35 AM

X2
A good idea would have been to have shown a video of just how they drive into the Pike River mine site. A drive from Greymouth with video camera going would show that the road is not exactly like SH1.
I know it's hard to visualise, but that would give some indication to those who might be interested.
West Coasters don't see themselves as heroes. They are just modest, ordinary, hard working people who have had to be tough. With hearts and minds, the same as most New Zealanders. Personally, I think they are extraordinary people.

RIP 29 miners; and my condolences to all the families involved.

Trev
25-11-2010, 08:37 AM
I had an uncle who was an engineer in the Blackball coal mine until it closed in the late 60s. He retired and passed away a couple of years ago. He was still pretty fit. I went down and visited him in Blackball on numerous occasions. He was an outdoors man. We use to do a bit of gold prospecting in different locations. We also visited different coal mines and one of the highlites was when we did a tour of the Strongman mine in 1975. Have been to a few other coal mines as will. A couple worth mentioning are the Denniston Mine and the Waiuta gold mine.
RIP the Pike River men.

Whenu
25-11-2010, 08:58 AM
R.I.P. to the Pike River men and condolences to their families.
@ Trev, just watched a dvd "On Denniston", very good, hard life up there

John H
25-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Poem from Gary McCormick on Stuff (ex Dom Post):

SEVENTEEN

(In memory of Joseph Ray Dunbar and all those who died in the Pike River Mine.)

Joseph Ray Dunbar was just seventeen.
One week ago - turned seventeen.
No doubt had a few drinks out
with his mates.

He'd been through a rough patch, someone said.
Who doesn't??!
A boy from the Coast, even-eyed.
But he's gotten a job now.

New boots.
The making of him, someone said.
You get a lot of respect with a job.
Couldn't wait!

Probably had his lunch packed.
The unlined face, the big smile.
Probably had a way with the girls.
The local girls.

Couldn't wait!
The local girls are wearing black.
Mothers and sons and husbands too.
He probably ran the last hundred yards....

Joseph Ray Dunbar.
Climbed aboard and headed on down.
A smile and a wave and a joke amongst men.
The biggest day of Joseph's life.

You caught the train, Joseph.
You took the train too soon.
You caught the train before your time.

--Wolf--
25-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Thought that maori VC holder was a hero.?

Willy can't have been that much of a hero to you if you can't even remember his name.

Cicero
25-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Willy can't have been that much of a hero to you if you can't even remember his name.

He did what he had to do.

Like we all do.

Trev
26-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes you just have to be in the right place at the right time.
:)

hueybot3000
26-11-2010, 02:33 PM
The past week I worked alongside a guy who was on and off the phone to the people at the mine helping with the huge amount of knowledge he seems to have.

He has in the past helped clear the gas out of mines and often manages fires (or heating as they refer to it in the industry) by blast nitrogen into the tunnels and keeping the fire at bay.

His opinion, which was more or less the same as those he talked to at the mine, was that if the initially blast had not killed them, then the gas building up from the coal would have well and truely sent them to sleep (in a peaceful way from my understanding) long before the heat would rise to the 400 odd degrees it would take to ignite the methane.

Im not an expert at all but talking to this guy who I know is an expert it sounds like however they died it would of been painless. If anything it's a comforting thought.

The only thing funny about the whole thing is the rubbish robots they were sending down. Before sending a robot underground I would have thought it'd make sense to waterproof it and at least have a decent battery.

RIP

Zippity
26-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Were all the miners Roman Catholics?

paulw
26-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Just as well there weren't any Maoris amongst them. We would have see loads of tax payer funded wailers and witch doctors heading down to put a hex on the site..

Cicero
26-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Just as well there weren't any Maoris amongst them. We would have see loads of tax payer funded wailers and witch doctors heading down to put a hex on the site..

So true Paul, so true.

Metla
26-11-2010, 07:21 PM

How true.

And they would ask for the mine, and receive a large chunk of cash to appease the...uh....spirits?....greed?

Cicero
26-11-2010, 07:40 PM
The very thought,

Oooooh I have this spiritual feeling,Ahhg, I can feel a haka coming on..

Oh I feel better now.