PDA

View Full Version : Apple iOS 4 vs. Google Android 2.2

xyz823
24-11-2010, 11:23 AM
What makes all of you here prefer Android over iOS?

I really am curious, as I tossed up between an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S and ended up getting an iPhone 4.

Was it the right purchase? What can a phone such as the Galaxy S do with Android that iOS can't?

Should have also mentioned that a major deciding factor was the iPhone music app.

inphinity
24-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I prefer the openness and flexibility of the Android marketplace, as well as the better integration with GMail / Google Apps / Google Maps etc, all tools that I use frequently.

xyz823
24-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I prefer the openness and flexibility of the Android marketplace, as well as the better integration with GMail / Google Apps / Google Maps etc, all tools that I use frequently.

What do you mean when you say "Openness and flexibility"?

johcar
24-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I LOVE the fact that I don't have to use the retarded (and "tentacular" - if that's a word) and intrusive iTunes app...

xyz823
24-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I LOVE the fact that I don't have to use the retarded (and "tentacular" - if that's a word) and intrusive iTunes app...

What do you use instead? Is there an app for android that syncs all your music, videos and apps and has the marketplace as well?

pcuser42
24-11-2010, 11:43 AM
What do you mean when you say "Openness and flexibility"?

You can change the wallpaper :p

johcar
24-11-2010, 11:45 AM
What do you use instead? Is there an app for android that syncs all your music, videos and apps and has the marketplace as well?

I don't have to sync - Google does it. And if I want to add stuff onto the SD card, I plug it in to the PC and treat it as an external HDD...

xyz823
24-11-2010, 12:06 PM
You can change the wallpaper :p

Lockscreen
(http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IMG_0025[1].PNG)
Homescreen
(http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IMG_0026[1].PNG)
I think I changed it :p

johcar
24-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Ahh. But iOS wallpapers aren't animated.

xyz823
24-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Ahh. But iOS wallpapers aren't animated.

You can make get them animated though.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2010, 01:10 PM
But you can't interact with them ;)

Nice jailbreak, apparently not running the latest 4.2?

I use WinAmp, on my phone and on my Desktop. It syncs OTA via WiFi. Suck on that iTunes! :D

8ftmetalhaed
24-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't have either, but I hate apple in all forms. Windows might be bad, but at similar stages in their business development, apple has been far, FAR worse. (Esp thanks to mr jobs, you twat).

Google seems to be doing things consistently right though, which is good. If there was one company to rule the world, I'd like it to be them.

xyz823
24-11-2010, 01:30 PM
But you can't interact with them ;)

Nice jailbreak, apparently not running the latest 4.2?

I use WinAmp, on my phone and on my Desktop. It syncs OTA via WiFi. Suck on that iTunes! :D

Meh I can sync via wifi too!

Nah 4.2 is currently a tethered jailbreak for iphone 4. The exploit used in limera1n and greenpois0n still works, but will have to wait a few days for the dev team to work their magic and make a new jailbreak. Also, not many apps have been updated to work fully with 4.2 so I may wait a few weeks. The update doesn't offer me any vital new features anyway.

I think redsn0w can jailbreak 3G and older 3GS on 4.2. Don't pay much attention to those anymore as I upgraded.

johcar
24-11-2010, 02:38 PM
The point seems to me that you had to go to extraordinary lengths (jail-breaking) to enable features that Android OS allows as stock standard items. Madness.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2010, 03:41 PM
At least jailbreaking allows real multi-tasking, but again, it's something that's stock in Android, not to mention Android does a mighty damn fine job of it too!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down your purchase, I'm sure you'll be mighty happy with it... Well OK maybe I am just a little, but you'll still probably be pretty happy with it :D

MAC_H8ER
24-11-2010, 04:48 PM
ill be getting a Windows 7 phone as soon as i can - to the pure dismay and horror of all of my friends with Android phones and iphones :D

pcuser42
24-11-2010, 04:51 PM
ill be getting a Windows 7 phone as soon as i can - to the pure dismay and horror of all of my friends with Android phones and iphones :D

Well it ain't Apple, so you get my backing :D

MAC_H8ER
24-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Well it ain't Apple, so you get my backing :D

we ive tried each phone as a friend has an iphone 4 and another a android of some description

the iphone was nice to use - but i couldnt get over the fact every time i see someone with one they are always ALWAYS going "hey look ive got this app thing its a beer and if i tip it it looks like im drinking it HURHURHURHUR!" - they have it as a fashion or bragging accessory and i cant stand that - if they had a actual use for it then fine but ive yet to find someone that has a real use for one

the android i found much better - works very well much like the iphone (but not an iphone) - much less "mr jobs knows best" - a bit more freedom to tinker and play with it if you will and do what you want

then i tried a friends HTC Trophy 7 - holy crap! - i looked at it thinking "oh cripes a new windows OS for a phone? this CANT be good!" but it completley won me over - it worked so well and it worked well for what i wanted it to do - one thing is though is its tied to zune - a niggle but its the much lesser of 2 evils compared to itunes so i can live with that - the windows Live tie ins work really well too - and since i own a Xbox 360 and have an account with that it works well with that too

i only had a small play with it but i definaly know what im getting when i can afford it :D

KarameaDave
24-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I will never own a crApple product as you can see from my sig.
Jobs is one step away from Hitler and Stalin in my opinion!!!

sam m
24-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I bought the iphone 4 (my first iphone) and am very impressed. I have no desire to 'customise' it as it works perfectly out of the box for what I want it to do. Syncs email and calendar perfectly for my business. It rings and texts fine. I listen to music when I walk to work. I have used the maps from time to time in my travels. Thats it.

Friend just brought Samsung galaxy s and that phone would do me just fine for the same reasons as above - but the iphone came out first and needed a smartphone at the time of it's release so I bought it.

xyz823
24-11-2010, 09:47 PM
The point seems to me that you had to go to extraordinary lengths (jail-breaking) to enable features that Android OS allows as stock standard items. Madness.

It's worth it :p

Also, its actually not that much work if you know what you are doing...

At least jailbreaking allows real multi-tasking, but again, it's something that's stock in Android, not to mention Android does a mighty damn fine job of it too!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down your purchase, I'm sure you'll be mighty happy with it... Well OK maybe I am just a little, but you'll still probably be pretty happy with it :D

Heh, in the tech world people with iPhones are ridiculed, but everywhere else they are basically a fashion accesory.

The main reason I ended up with the iPhone is because I had spent $$$ on apps etc for my iPod and the music app seemed much better than anything android had to offer. Basically I wanted an iPod touch with a phone built in.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Fair enough. And yes, you're right, they are fashion accessories :D

MAC_H8ER
24-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Heh, in the tech world people with iPhones are ridiculed, but everywhere else they are basically a fashion accesory.

nail, head, large noise

most people only want an iPhone so they can take it to church and brag about how cool they are cause they ticked up an expensive phone and everyone else has peasant phones and should be ashamed of themselves!

one of the main reasons im not touching an iPhone is i don't want a fashion accessory to show off - i want to be able to pull my phone out in public and get some work done or play games without 15 strangers appearing suddenly going "OMG IPHONE CAN U DO THE BEEER APP THING TO ME!!!!???"

or the fact if you don't own the most absolute current version of the phone at the time you are shunned by the rest of the iPhone community cause obviously you aren't cool enough to afford the new one and get nothing but glaring looks from hipsters in starbucks while they complain about how their daddy wont buy them an ipad

like i said if i knew more people that had an iphone for reasons OTHER than trying to show other people up all the time id have no problem with the iphones but at the moment the phones and most of the users irritate me to no end :eek:

xyz823
24-11-2010, 10:26 PM
nail, head, large noise

most people only want an iPhone so they can take it to church and brag about how cool they are cause they ticked up an expensive phone and everyone else has peasant phones and should be ashamed of themselves!

one of the main reasons im not touching an iPhone is i don't want a fashion accessory to show off - i want to be able to pull my phone out in public and get some work done or play games without 15 strangers appearing suddenly going "OMG IPHONE CAN U DO THE BEEER APP THING TO ME!!!!???"

or the fact if you don't own the most absolute current version of the phone at the time you are shunned by the rest of the iPhone community cause obviously you aren't cool enough to afford the new one and get nothing but glaring looks from hipsters in starbucks while they complain about how their daddy wont buy them an ipad

like i said if i knew more people that had an iphone for reasons OTHER than trying to show other people up all the time id have no problem with the iphones but at the moment the phones and most of the users irritate me to no end :eek:

A tad jealous I see?