PDA

View Full Version : Different Mobo, No Sound

goodiesguy
23-11-2010, 06:55 PM
I finally took out my old Motherboard, as last night, it pretty much died on me slowly. First a Bios rom checksum error, then nothing. So it's pretty much dead.

I grabbed a mobo out of another one of my computers.

a KM400A Pro.

It's hardly used and in extremely good condition, and will do me for now untill i have the money to upgrade. It also has a very, very Nice CPU fan.

I have everything going except two things:

The Power Light ( I dunno where it goes in, but all the other lights are all going)

But that problem don't matter.

The problem i need help with, is the onboard sound, VIA AC97.

the drivers are installed, but still no sound :(

should i Just give up on it and put in my old trusty "Genius Sound Maker 32x"?

As, although it's pretty old, it has way better sound quality than the realtek onboard on my old Mobo.

So, should i bother with trying to get the Onboard going? or use my awesome old PCI "Genius Sound Maker 32x"?

SP8's
23-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Goodiesguy ..... sure you haven't put the plug in the wrong hole ... and have power going to the speakers (if it needs 12v for the amp) ??

And I only ask because I recently forgot to put power to the speaker amp when I changed mobo's recently ... completely slipped my mind until I found a spare plug and no hole to stick it in ... :D

goodiesguy
23-11-2010, 07:14 PM
the following plugs are not plugged in, due to not knowing where to put them:

MIC IN

MIC POWER

GROUND

R-OUT
R-RET

L-OUT
L-RET
GROUND.

I have no idea where to plug these into on this mobo. These are those tiny little black ones that plug into the pins that stick out, if you know what i mean.

gary67
23-11-2010, 07:23 PM
look for your manual here (http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/albatron/KM400APro.htm)

goodiesguy
23-11-2010, 07:38 PM
There are some spike things on the mobo, that have something along the lines of SOUND written under it. but it does not show where to put the things.

the power lights and things had things saying where to plug them in.

SP8's
23-11-2010, 07:46 PM
You'll have to get a schematic of the mobo layout to find out which pins are for what .... don't guess or you might be another mobo down :D

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Did you reinstall windows after changing the mobo? Did you install the 4-1 drivers as well? (http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/mb/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Driver&no=111). See if the sound is enabled in the BIOS

goodiesguy
23-11-2010, 08:01 PM
The Sound IS enabled in the BIOS.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Did you get the manual?

goodiesguy
23-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I have the manual book right in front of me.

I have no idea where to start.

I'm new to changing and setting up mobo's from scratch.

I'm fine with changing cards and ribbons etc..
but i've never had to put in another mobo before.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Follow one of these (http://www.asrock.com/support/faq/20060421-01.gif) depending whats written in the manual

goodiesguy
23-11-2010, 08:53 PM
the Manual is FAR too hard to follow.

I put in my old Genius SoundMaker 32x PCI sound card.

The sound quality is far better than onboard. for some reason, it picks up as a "Crystal Sound Fusion CS4281". That must be the chip on it.

KarameaDave
23-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Take the time to RTFM it'll do wonders for your knowledge.

CYaBro
23-11-2010, 09:46 PM
You won't have sound from the onboard chip as you either need to put a couple of jumpers in the correct place on the audio header pins or connect those plugs you mentioned earlier.

As you've already done, I would use the external sound card as it will be better than the onboard one.