PDA

View Full Version : D:\program error at startup

18-09-2001, 02:10 PM
I am using Win NT at work. In the last week I have started getting an error message
Cannot find d:\program as the computer is starting Windows.
It happened after I logged in on a different machine. A few other people have this problem too.
Any idea how I can get rid of it?

19-09-2001, 10:17 AM
The problem is most likely to be one of a DOS based command/application trying to access c:\Program Files. Under the DOS file/Directory structure, spaces are not recognised in file names or directory names.
If you run command.com and go into DOS, type cd\ followed by dir\ad\w . This lists all directories, your Program Files directory is most likely to be c:\Progra~1\blah unless you have a directory called c:\Program Fish or anything alphabetically before Files, in which case it could be ~2 or even ~3 depending on how many such directories you have.
Then you just have to find which application is trying to access c:\Program Files and change it to c:\Progra~1.
A good place to start looking is in Autoexec.bat and even Config.sys, as a lot of small third party utilities developed for DOS still use these files.

19-09-2001, 12:07 PM
Thanks Iain but I don't think that's it. It's something to do with my profile on NT. It doesn't affect others on this machine. It doesn't try to load a program either it just wants to open the D:\program directory.