PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What do you think of the new layout?

Agent_24
23-11-2010, 03:25 PM
'Nuff said.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Its fine by me. What pain in the neck? What ads? What left-alignment thing are people seeing?

Metla
23-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Change is good.

But me and whomever designs the layout are worlds apart so....meh.

It blows goats.....still.

DeSade
23-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I just used adblock + and blocked all the web parts I didn't want, problem solved.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I just downloaded an updated urlfilter.ini file for Opera. And its fine

Terry Porritt
23-11-2010, 04:00 PM
What's wrong with wall to wall ? :)

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2010, 04:02 PM
+1 for Terrys sentiments :D

Erayd
23-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I actually don't have a problem with the new layout; it's easy to read and look at, and although the ads are large, they don't get in the way too much.

That said, this view is obviously not a common one, as I had quite a few separate requests for an updated version of the CSS the same day the changes went live.

While writing the new CSS however, I noticed this in the source. There isn't an ad in that spot yet (above the header, very top of the page), but it certainly bodes ill:
<!--Big banner ad start-->
<snip>
<!--Big banner ad finished-->

pctek
23-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Very clean looking.

idgadmin
23-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Karl here,

Can I get feedback on whether you think we have gone too far towards Google display ads compared to old version which was text Google ads heavy (bearing in mind revenue balance is essential to get resources for redevelopment & other things).

Just a note on the banner space at the top. This is planned as part of an upcoming reward system & sponsorship of forum (there are alot of plans for the forum as part of the total rebuild of PC World online brand).

Thanks.

QW.
23-11-2010, 06:00 PM
At least the old text ad's didn't take as long as it does now. Especially those on dialup.

Agent_24
23-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I honestly don't care about the ads.

I just wish the forum was either centered with ads on left and right or filled the whole page width with ads at top and bottom.

The whole left-alignment thing is quite annoying.

wainuitech
23-11-2010, 06:02 PM
The biggest problem is the ads on the right. They appear to push the main part of the forum to far left.

If you look at screen shots where people have blocked the ads Via scripts the main portion of the form is not pushed sideways.

Ive just got chrome working with ad block, and its removed all the right hand side ads, while leaving a white space. and already it looks much better.

Personally I think if you had one row of ads on the right instead of two, half the current width, that would look a LOT better and fix the problem.

Erayd
23-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Karl,

Can I get feedback on whether you think we have gone too far towards Google display ads compared to old version which was text Google ads heavy (bearing in mind revenue balance is essential to get resources for redevelopment & other things).I'm personally a big fan of text ads - as far as I'm concerned, the fewer graphic / adnimated ads the better.

Text ads tend to be unobtrusive, load fast, and don't distract. Graphic ads are annoying. Animated ads make me want to take a hatchet to the server.

Just a note on the banner space at the top. This is planned as part of an upcoming reward system & sponsorship of forum (there are alot of plans for the forum as part of the total rebuild of PC World online brand).Does this mean we will be able to pay to remove the ads? If so count me in; I've been asking for this for years.

One other note - it's worth bearing in mind that many of us, myself included, are very distrustful of what PC World / FFBM says will happen with this forum. We've had a lot of promises over the years, and most of them were broken. The rest of the time, the forum was simply neglected (except for the occasional new ad). This has been particularly bad since it was acquired by FFBM.

I'm certainly in favour of an attempt to improve things here, but please don't imply (or promise) things that won't happen. You guys owe the members here more than that, we are what keeps this place alive. I think we deserve just a wee bit more respect than has been experienced in the past.

Thanks,
Erayd

SurferJoe46
23-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I can't buy or won't buy things internationally so the ads are totally useless to me.

At the moment with AB+ engaged I only get to see about three words per line in the site area and the ads are running over the Smilies in the Advanced mode.

The smilies are all over the place and I can only actually see the Happy Birthday one and the BAN one. All the rest are indecipherable.

The ads make it impossible to read anything that is more than three words long in the text/post area.

When I am writing this, I get one or two words typed and then word wrap takes me to the next line, but that's covered in smilies anyway.

So - I'd say it's generally screwed up beyond belief.

SP8's
23-11-2010, 06:26 PM
+1 regarding the animated ads ... they can be extremely distracting, especially if people are coming onto the forum to get information on a particular problem and want to concentrate !

I also think a centred page is preferable ... no crick in the neck .... but just doesn't look as appealing.

wainuitech
23-11-2010, 06:37 PM
What I was referring to in post #13 can the "powers to be" try removing one row As marked in Red (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Row.jpg) - that will push out the right hand side, and even up the ads, and the users profiles/ names & realign the forum.

Try it and see what we think. Please.

The comment was made, improve the site for users........ old story really -- is it all talk or really serious in whats promised/planned ?

SurferJoe46
23-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Wainuitech - WOW! You actually get to see the whole post area!

Being a foreigner and all, I guess I don't count.

Let me know by PM if this gets sorted out. It's too hard to read a whole sentence when the columns are just two or three words long.

BTW: I C/P'd this from WORD as it's hard to get to see what I'm typing and my resolution has NOT changed - but somehow yours has.

Not much of a site if you can't see it, right gov?

Bye for now.

Jen
23-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Can I get feedback on whether you think we have gone too far towards Google display ads compared to old version which was text Google ads heavy (bearing in mind revenue balance is essential to get resources for redevelopment & other things).Hi Karl,

While the display ads are annoying when they start flashing/moving, at least they are likely to be adverts for semi-decent products. My absolute pet hate were the google text ads for programs that promised to 'fix your computer', 'make your computer go faster', 'clean up your registry' etc, etc. 98% of these programs would only cause more problems and probably install crapware/spyware or rip you off. I found it particularly concerning a visitor to this computer forum would think we were recommending these programs, because we displayed them.

I think quality of adverts over quantity is better.

:2cents:

Metla
23-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Needs more boobies.:drool

Terry Porritt
23-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I can't buy or won't buy things internationally so the ads are totally useless to me.

At the moment with AB+ engaged I only get to see about three words per line in the site area and the ads are running over the Smilies in the Advanced mode.

The smilies are all over the place and I can only actually see the Happy Birthday one and the BAN one. All the rest are indecipherable.

The ads make it impossible to read anything that is more than three words long in the text/post area.

When I am writing this, I get one or two words typed and then word wrap takes me to the next line, but that's covered in smilies anyway.

So - I'd say it's generally screwed up beyond belief.

Sounds like you have a right screw up there. Are you using Mosaic v1.0 browser with 640x480 screen resolution ? :thumbs:

Paul.Cov
23-11-2010, 07:43 PM
It's fine. There's not much in the way of ads anyway, so I'm at a loss to fathom the gripes from others.
I'm on a new installation, so can't recall if I've installed any ad blockers or not.

wainuitech
23-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Needs more boobies.:drool(.)(.)

:D

ubergeek85
23-11-2010, 08:29 PM
If there's a 'premium' version of PressF1 coming soon, then I'm all in, provided it's at a reasonable price. That, or there are giveaways! Would love a few freebies.

(.)(.)

:D

Was just going to do that!

idgadmin
23-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Hi,

I completely understand the cautious approach to promises made to the forum.

I also agree about the level of neglect in the past towards this forum. If it weren't for the generosity & service of Jen & Jo then we wouldn't be having this conversation because this place wouldn't exist (in my opinion). Too much info perhaps, but I have pushed hard to ensure they have been offered occasional rewards.

On a personal level, there were a few of us who disagreed with decisions to ramp up ads 3 years ago. The shoe is now however on the other foot (I am now in the 'hotseat' & I need to find the right balance to keep everyone happy if that's possible). I would add that there have been 3 'false starts' before getting to this v1 release, my team & PC World had to fight hard to get this underway before Xmas.

My team & I will be making changes over the next 2 days on the forum (as early part of v2 PC World redesign release) so your input will be considered.

I hope the interaction from Siobhan of the PC World team on this forum can be viewed as a step in the right direction.

Thanks.

ubergeek85
23-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the update Karl. Is there any place we can preview any of the changes a-comin'?

wainuitech
23-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Thank you Karl for keeping us posted. :)

Snorkbox
23-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't bother blocking ads and use IE8 by choice. I read just the forum and ads don't get in my way generally. Different when the peel me type ad was tried out here.

I have Firefox only for the Genesis web site that won't let me download my latest bill.

Do have other browsers purely to check rendering on some sites.

Jen
23-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I hope the interaction from Siobhan of the PC World team on this forum can be viewed as a step in the right direction.It is good to see a PC World staff member frequenting the boards. Hopefully the natives don't scare her off. :p

ubergeek85
23-11-2010, 08:54 PM
It is good to see a PC World staff member frequenting the boards. Hopefully the natives don't scare her off. :p

It'd be nice if Geoff Palmer, and those other fullas, came here a bit too.

Erayd
23-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I hope the interaction from Siobhan of the PC World team on this forum can be viewed as a step in the right direction.Absolutely - it's really great so see a bit more involvement, and gives me hope that something's going to happen this time :D.

Thanks for putting in the effort on this :thumbs:.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Great to see you here Karl, appreciate all that you're pushing for, can't wait to see some of those ideas come to fruition!! I really think it'll end up taking PF1 to a whole new level!

jareemon
24-11-2010, 08:15 AM
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Untitled1290543145.png

johcar
24-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Element Hiding Helper for Chrome users:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/chmimgmjdabgiilljdjfbonifbhiglao

And for Firefox users:

http://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper

This addon to Adblock Plus will hide those white spaces left after you've blocked the ads you don't want to see, allowing Terry's "wall-to-wall" forum experience...

EDIT: Thanks to Karl and Siobhan for actually paying attention to the Forum. Looking forward to Version 2 of the Forum!!!

Billy T
24-11-2010, 10:18 AM
This is what I see, and I don't like it at all. I prefer a full screen display, and for once I'm not operating with obsolete hardware and/or programs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :mad:

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2010, 10:18 AM
EDIT: Thanks to Karl and Siobhan for actually paying attention to the Forum. Looking forward to Version 2 of the Forum!!!

I think we're well and truly past Version 2 :D

Billy T
24-11-2010, 10:20 AM
This is what I see, and I don't like it at all. I prefer a full screen display, and for once I'm not operating with obsolete hardware and/or programs.

From my perspective it's the Subscribe/Sign Up/Blogs boxes that are pushing it aside

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :mad:

Bugger, it dropped my image, again!

Got it back! :)

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2010, 10:23 AM

You've never heard the saying that as soon as you walk out of a store with your shiney new PC, that somewhere, somebody else has just invented something better that will cost you less? ;)

Billy T
24-11-2010, 10:29 AM
You've never heard the saying that as soon as you walk out of a store with your shiney new PC, that somewhere, somebody else has just invented something better that will cost you less? ;)

I fail to see the connection Chill. I'm not seeing an improvement, I'm seeing empty screen real estate where there used to be useful information, and from the sound of it I'm fortunate, some appear to see less. I'm OK with advertising etc, but dead screen space is pointless.

Major leap backwards IMHO.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Siobhan Keogh
24-11-2010, 12:19 PM
It's actually good to see that most of you are just irked about the left alignment, to be honest. I'm glad you like the rest of it because I really do think the design of the site as a whole is a vast improvement on what it was.

As Karl's mentioned, I'm going to continue to be lurking around and help you guys where I can. I'll try to check the forums at least once a day but when we're close to deadline I might not be able to offer the same level of help as I otherwise would! I'm also not going to be around PressF1 because while I'm reasonably techie, there are people on that forum with a far greater technical knowledge.

GameJunkie
24-11-2010, 12:34 PM
with the updated script it looks just fine.

i think the design of the home page is much better too

idgadmin
25-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi,

We're working on design templates, new features, etc available when we upgrade to v.4 of forum.

I've switched the display sky ad spot back to text ads in meantime & we're working on next design & backend stages (as well as v.2 of pc world site) over the next week.

jareemon
25-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi,

We're working on design templates, new features, etc available when we upgrade to v.4 of forum.

I've switched the display sky ad spot back to text ads in meantime & we're working on next design & backend stages (as well as v.2 of pc world site) over the next week.

so when will v4 be rolled out?

johcar
25-11-2010, 04:15 PM
When it's been thoroughly tested...

Greven
27-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Do we really need the huge Pressf1 logo at the top pushing the content halfway down the page? I think the google search box would be better beside the Subscribe | Newsletters | contact links than on its own line

The ads aren't too bad but I wouldn't like to be viewing the website at 1024x768 resolution

Edit: The static ads are fine, but animated ads are very annoying

Morgenmuffel
28-11-2010, 07:02 AM
8am Sunday morning and the sites header css, seems to be not functioning anyone else seeing that

coldfront
28-11-2010, 07:23 AM
8am Sunday morning and the sites header css, seems to be not functioning anyone else seeing that

nope, working fine and the adverts just as annoying still

Snorkbox
28-11-2010, 07:53 AM
No PressF1 banner this morning.

SP8's
28-11-2010, 07:55 AM
New layout ... need new poll :D

ubergeek85
29-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Here's a few screenshots from an N810. It'd be nice if MicroB was added to the list of browsers that are given the mobile version of the site.