PDA

View Full Version : M$ Easy Transfer

bernz
23-11-2010, 09:58 AM
So here I am, having spent weeks and dollars readying XP Pro for upgrade to Win7. 1.5 Tb HDD. Installed and read Upgrade Advisor, printed off. Installed and read and printed "Upgrading", installed and CAN"T run WIndows Easy Transfer. When I select 3rd OPtion "external hard drive" it says it can't do this, and to reboot. Have removed, re-downloaded, re-installed, rebooted, connected ext drive, disconnected ext drive and drank much coffee. There is something awry but cannot fathom it. Help appreciated from you amazing kind people.:help:

SolMiester
23-11-2010, 11:18 AM
You cant upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You need to backup all your documents to a external drive, wipe the disk and install Windows 7 from scratch!

bernz
23-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I have backed up onto external hard drive all my stuff using Acronic True Image. I am trying to use Windows Easy Transfer as suggested for the actual switch from XP to 7. The first two options (network/new pc) offer to play but the third option which is the one I want (ext hard drive) will not play with me.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Boot from the Win7 DVD / format / partition the other / internal hdd / install Win7

bernz
23-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Partition the other? Will this be an instruction option?
Also....I take it you do not recommend I persist with Windows Easy Transfer although MS recommends it?
I have made a recovery disc using Acronis, in case I have to return to XP.
With held breath I shall continue.....

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Well what hdd do you want to install Win7 on?? I take it, there's a hdd inside the case (apart from the external hdd)?? The option to format / partition is in Win7's setup

bernz
23-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks Speedy...this is scary stuff for me. Yes hdd internal is now backed up to external. Will I ignore the recommendation to use Windows Easy Transfer/ and depend on my Acronis System BackUp to replace docs and settings etc? Just worried me that the Easy Transfer program didn't work fo rme.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Have no idea, never used MS Easy transfer. Just copy documents you want manually, and bookmarks / email addies to something else. Install Win7 then import them / copy them back to the hdd again. You'll probably have to reinstall whatever programs again after as well

bernz
23-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Whew....sometimes we worry when there is no need I guess. Better than wading in and drowning. No more surprises PLEASE...thanks for your time, will report back using a newly installed Win7 OS

Snorkbox
23-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Please note that when getting data back from the External XP to insert on Win7 you may need to take ownership of certain folders. Other than that I don't think you will have a problem.

bernz
23-11-2010, 12:25 PM
errrr....take ownership?

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 12:28 PM
errrr....take ownership?

This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421).

bernz
23-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Thank you so much Speedy. Understood. Thanks to you all for your time. (You really are Speedy!) Looking forward to the experience now.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 12:43 PM
What version of Win7 are you installing?? If Ultimate, Enterprise, or Pro, they support XP mode (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx). Which is a separate download

Snorkbox
23-11-2010, 01:13 PM
As you will be in Win 7 when you want ownership have a look here:-
http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm