PDA

View Full Version : FrontPage 2002 and browsers

18-09-2001, 11:35 AM
A recently updated version of my web site (www.telework.co.nz) seems to have a problem in Opera and Netscape browsers but I'm uncertain where to look for answers. Is it the site? the software? my ISP? where should I start? The only unusual things are the automatic link bars FrontPage makes available, I think.

18-09-2001, 02:32 PM
well that'll be your answer then. Frontpage generates some things that only run in Internet Explorer. To make things run in all browsers, you'll need to remove any 'Microsoft' code/html that only runs in IE, or refine it yourself (if you can) to run in other browsers. I've found I've had to drop a lot of features I've had over the years from my site so that it'll display properly (or even semi-properly) in browsers other than IE.
To make it easier to find what will work and what won't in the various browsers there's probably three options.
1) Use something other than Frontpage, that has options for other browsers (such as Dreamweaver for example).
2) There are some online code/html checkers that will scan your html and tell you of possible problems with browsers, and other problems as well. I can't think of any specifically right now though, sorry.
3) Download Opera and Netscape and constantly check your pages in those plus IE as you go, and if you find a problem in them, then fix it or remove the problem before you move on.

18-09-2001, 08:57 PM
The w3c validator is at:
validator.w3.org. They also have a CSS one.

Also your site is using specific fonts with many people may not have.